Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Only 70 more years until Catcher in the Rye hits public domain!

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...es-at-age-91/1
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
That's a coincidence - I am just finishing reading a copy of CITR now.
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS650 View Post
That's a coincidence - I am just finishing reading a copy of CITR now.
I'm craving corned beef on rye.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
71 years, actually, give or take. Works enter the public domain at the start of the year following the 70th anniversary of the author's death. Since Mr. Salinger has died in January, that adds almost another year to the wait.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Great...hopefully I will still be around in the year 2081 to own it for free.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I'm just really bummed that the man died, is all. I was holding on to some faint glimmer of hope that eventually he'd decide to publish his unpublished works. I wouldn't want to read them if they were published by his estate against his wishes. I assume that he's had it in his will not to publish them, but I don't know if the estate can decide otherwise...
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Well, since he didn't publish anything after Catcher, we can't say its a loss for the arts. But Catcher is such a wonderful book, that it actually makes me a little sad anyhow.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Not so much of a fan of Salinger, although I do think his other writing outside of Catcher was much better. But historian Howard Zinn passed away as well, and he was a personal hero of mine.

“There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.” Howard Zinn

1922 - 2010
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
MikeRo
Connoisseur
MikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityMikeRo has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle 3
Some of us only need to wait 50 years. (Well, closer to 51 years). I'll post a review on Jan 1, 2061.
MikeRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:05 AM   #10
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
JD can sue me from beyond the grave.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
The Onion has its say
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Laz116
Guru
Laz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of lightLaz116 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
The Onion has its say
Nicely done.
Laz116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:50 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laz116 View Post
Well, since he didn't publish anything after Catcher, we can't say its a loss for the arts.
Not entirely true. He published a number of short stories subsequent to "Catcher", but the last thing he did publish was in the mid 60s, I believe.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #14
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not entirely true. He published a number of short stories subsequent to "Catcher", but the last thing he did publish was in the mid 60s, I believe.
Well, why should he? After such a bestseller the current laws reward living longer much more than writing anything that might not sell that well. He needed to keep away from stress to make more money
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I'm just really bummed that the man died, is all. I was holding on to some faint glimmer of hope that eventually he'd decide to publish his unpublished works. I wouldn't want to read them if they were published by his estate against his wishes. I assume that he's had it in his will not to publish them, but I don't know if the estate can decide otherwise...
Actually, at the risk of sounding callous, him being dead increases the chances of anything new from him being published.
In life he sure as hell wasn't going to let anything new be published. (We're talking about a timeframe of decades of self-imposed seclusion here.)

Last edited by AprilHare; 01-30-2010 at 11:49 PM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote