Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #46
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
You know Ludlum is dead, right?
Maybe he has UR-Email on his Kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #47
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Lilac, you know I've been reading for a few years, right? Perhaps you also failed to note where I mentioned Eric Lustbader extending the Bourne series.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #48
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Lilac, you know I've been reading for a few years, right? Perhaps you also failed to note where I mentioned Eric Lustbader extending the Bourne series.
It was kind of a joke but yes I did miss that comment.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #49
sunflower42479
sunflower42479 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
So here's my problem with Brown - after reading DaVinci Code, Dark Fortress and Angels and Demons: He talks down to his reader, and it drives me nuts. I feel like he feels compeled to explain everything (as if his reader were 5 years old) - and I figured out the ending to Dark Fortress the second the question at the end showed up, so the thirty pages (well it felt like it anyway) trying to get to the resolution wwas killing me, these are smart people right? But perhaps I have too much trivia floating around in my head.
sunflower42479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #50
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I guess it depends on the author. There are those who do their research, there are others that will make up as they go. And those who just google a little bit before writing the book.

When I was younger, it bogled me when I found out that one of my favourite authors spent 2-4 years in research, for each book. That explained a lot why it took forever a new release, but on the other hand, that explained their extreme quality.
I'd say it depends on the reader. I know nothing about Submarines so if I read a story with detailed descriptions of submarines (I'm looking at you Tom Clancy) it would all just be gobbledegook to me. Now an expert (and how many submarine experts are there out there) would see any mistake immediately. When it comes to 'facts' in novels I just skip over them most of the time. Even then, when I do have some knowledge on the subject, it doesn't really matter to me, it's fiction, sometimes the truth has to be stretched or downright fabricated to get a story out of it. I'd hate if all fiction could do was take what-is and put that down on the page.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #51
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Sunflower, that's why he achieved such popularity. Most popular books seem to spoon-feed us so much I gag. OTOH, there are texts that go too far the other way. Uberto Eco's Foucalt's Pendulum is right on the edge for me. Some of it was surely over my head. Heck, some of Gene Wolfe's work does that to me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:15 AM   #52
netbenben
netbenben began at the beginning.

Device: Casio Electronic Dictionary
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Maybe he has UR-Email on his Kindle.

BOb
Kindle II,I guess?
netbenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:20 AM   #53
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Try Umberto Eco: you'll forget Dan Brown before the end of the first page...

I could not possibly agree more.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:25 PM   #54
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Don't know if this was posted yet:

"New Dan Brown novel coming in September"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090420/...ks_dan_brown_1
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #55
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Ironically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Don't know if this was posted yet:

"New Dan Brown novel coming in September"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090420/...ks_dan_brown_1
This just now arrived in my inbox:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...=9780385504225
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 03:09 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I see it's being offered for pre-order by Amazon, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #57
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Really don't understand those who rate a book before reading it !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #58
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
Really don't understand those who rate a book before reading it !
Maybe they had ARCs?
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:08 PM   #59
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
Maybe they had ARCs?
You mean advance reading copy ? (Googled it, didn't know this ! )
Nope, if you read the reviews, only one on them is from a person that read it, all the others are voting according to the previous books (in one sens or the other)
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #60
KindleMan
Enthusiast
KindleMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I can't believe there needs to be that big of a delay between the announcement date and release date for Dan Brown's new book! I need someone in marketing to explain it to me! (ie Does it create a type of "hysteria" for the book by the time it comes out?)

Anyways, maybe this thread is what finally got things moving!

KindleMan
KindleMan is offline   Reply With Quote