Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #1
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Question on downloading non-Amazon content

I see Kindle threads about downloading non-Amazon content such as RSS feeds from FeedBook etc. but in reading the small print on Whispernet use for Kindle, it states that fees could be charged for "internet browsing". Has anyone been charged for non-Amazon downloading and does that usage constitute violation of the "contract" between Amazon and the user?

Inquiring minds want to know!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
I see Kindle threads about downloading non-Amazon content such as RSS feeds from FeedBook etc. but in reading the small print on Whispernet use for Kindle, it states that fees could be charged for "internet browsing". Has anyone been charged for non-Amazon downloading and does that usage constitute violation of the "contract" between Amazon and the user?

Fees "could be charged" but there is currently no charge for the Experimental browser. Why would this be a violation of the contract? I never agreed to only read books purchased from Amazon on my Kindle.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:

No one has been charged yet for using any 'non amazon' content.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Well, I know that I didn't phase that right. The quick start guide says that you may be charged for wireless connectivity for other uses such as web browsing and downloading personal files (of course that is through the users Amazon email for .10 I believe).
They continue on in the next paragraph titled "Your conduct": Quote:States You agree you will use the wireless connectivity provided by Amazon only in connection with services Amazon provides for the Device. You may not use the wireless connectivity for any other purpose. End quote.

Just found it interesting.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Well, I know that I didn't phase that right. The quick start guide says that you may be charged for wireless connectivity for other uses such as web browsing and downloading personal files (of course that is through the users Amazon email for .10 I believe).
They continue on in the next paragraph titled "Your conduct": Quote:States You agree you will use the wireless connectivity provided by Amazon only in connection with services Amazon provides for the Device. You may not use the wireless connectivity for any other purpose. End quote.

Then I think a LOT of people are in trouble............

desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Quote:States You agree you will use the wireless connectivity provided by Amazon only in connection with services Amazon provides for the Device. You may not use the wireless connectivity for any other purpose. End quote.

The basic web browser IS a service provided by Amazon on the Kindle. They don't want you hacking the Kindle and using it to tether it to your PC to get free wireless internet and stuff like that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
MsAstoria
Evangelist

ahhhh, thanks for the clarification, Bob
Old 02-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I read it the same way BOb does.

I used to work for a cell phone carrier and tethering was the one thing they were most concerned about. The Kindle's own limitations are normally enough to keep usage within manageable limits.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, kindle, kindle2, whispernet