Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #15796
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Last night I finished Jack & Jill by James Patterson. It's the 3rd book in the Alex Cross series. Very good. Highly recommended.
Keep going. I'd be interested to see what you think of the series by the time you get to London Bridges. One of the worst books I have ever read, and I really liked the Alex Cross novels.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #15797
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I enjoyed it a lot. Maybe not as much as I had hoped, but it was worth the time and money. It was descriped as horror, but it's more fatasy/adventure. There was nothing scary about this book, and I'm scared easily . Next up: Paaz by Myrthe van der Meer. It's about time that I was going to read a Dutch author again .
Yeah it isn't scary at all. I let my daughter read it after I did, and she was only 10 then, and she didn't have any trouble with it. It is a fun book.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #15798
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Next up: Miss Peregrine's Home for peculiar children by Ransom Riggs. I can't remember the last time I read horror, if ever. I'm curious to see how I'll like it.
I did enjoy that one. I'm waiting for the next book in the series. I didn't find it to be horror. I found it to be an odd work of fiction.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #15799
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Keep going. I'd be interested to see what you think of the series by the time you get to London Bridges. One of the worst books I have ever read, and I really liked the Alex Cross novels.
I will get there eventually. But it will take a while.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #15800
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
One from my backlog now: Interzone #214, February 2008, bought in July 2008!
And very good it was too. One or two excellent stories.

Next I started Rising Sun by Robert Conroy. It's an alternate history story, looking at World War II if the US had lost the Battle of Midway. The writing is OK, and the story line seems to be going well, with a touch of romance thrown in.

But I just can't get excited about recent alternate history with no added SF or Fantasy factor. If I was interested in reading this kind of book, I'd much rather read it set in a non-alternative universe! I can see how it might appeal to someone who knows the real history of that period well, but it doesn't do it for me.

So, abandoning that, I'm moving on to The Iron Breed by Andre Norton.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:29 PM   #15801
paranormalink
paranormalink began at the beginning.

Device: none
Roadwork by Stephen King.
I'm finally catching up on some King books I missed years ago.
paranormalink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #15802
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm just finishing up Stephen King's "11/22/63," with about 150 pages to go. It's kept my attention, but I couldn't honestly say it was 'riveting.' In fact, I was tempted to put it down once or twice. I've seen comment where folks said it was the best book that read during their year, but I couldn't give it such high praise. I've been enjoying it more for the nostalgic look back in time. King certainly did capture that. I'll be glad when I finish it and can move on to something else.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #15803
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Finished a few freebies. Origin by J. a. Konrath is a supernatural-ish/techno-thriller, and a good, quick read. The writing is fairly polished, and grabbed my attention, though I found the idea that the US government would staff the most important secret project in the world with some profoundly broken people a little hard to swallow. Still, it's free at Amazon and well worth a look.

Cloak, by James Gough looked really promising and had lots of positive reviews, including comparisons to Harry Potter, but I didn't find the writing up to par. It just didn't grab me, even though I liked the idea. I'll come back to this and give it another try later.

The Future Imperfect, by Ruth Nestvold was an enjoyable collection of post-apocalyptic/dystopian short stories. The writing is smooth and very readable, which says a lot for a low-priced book at Amazon. The future science and ideas, while not exactly new, were well thought out and presented. Currently $2.99 at Amazon and worth the price if you like dystopian fiction.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #15804
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I finished an anthology by John A A Logan called Storm Damage. I really like this writer. I've read that this anthology is a series of fables and I guess they might be, although I suspect I didn't quite cotton on to some of them. But I did really enjoy the writing style and I think the author has created several little works of art here. There were one or two which didn't grab me, but the others left me with a similar emptiness that I felt when reading his novel The Survival of Thomas Ford. He does good empty.

I also read A Murder of Crows, a short story/novella by Edward Medina. It's the start of some kind of strange steampunk-esque series about the swashbuckling animals on the pirate ship Revenge. Really, it was a prologue to what I guess is going to be the main story. It told the legend behind the building of the Revenge and its captain, a crow who had suffered at the hands of an evil crocodile. OK - I mentioned that it was a bit strange didn't I? I don't know if I'll actually read the next part, but it was an interesting tale.

I've still got Lolita on the back-burner. Finding it hard to keep the momentum going on that book.

Meanwhile, I've started Mine by Robert McCammon. One of my favourite horror authors, I try to read one of McCammon's books a year under the theory that if I progress slowly I'll never run out of new McCammon books to read.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #15805
blackcat
Connoisseur
blackcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD, Ipad 4
Finished Oryx and Crake, quite a disturbing book, think it has put me off reading anymore of her books ....
Now reading Mote in God's eye after seeing loads of people rave about it on here
blackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:54 AM   #15806
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm just finishing up Stephen King's "11/22/63," with about 150 pages to go. It's kept my attention, but I couldn't honestly say it was 'riveting.' In fact, I was tempted to put it down once or twice. I've seen comment where folks said it was the best book that read during their year, but I couldn't give it such high praise. I've been enjoying it more for the nostalgic look back in time. King certainly did capture that. I'll be glad when I finish it and can move on to something else.

Stitchawl
I've read so many good things about this book here and there that I'm considering buying it to put it on the top of my TBR list. Maybe I'll hold off a little longer
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #15807
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:

Stitchawl
I agree. It was better than The Dome but not up to his great ones like The Stand
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #15808
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Face Cards {1925} by Carolyn Wells (1862-1942) is a variation on the locked-room theme: i.e. A murdered victim is found in a room locked fron the inside.

While not really outstanding, the murder mystery does have some interesting twists and a few reasonably effective characters.

I suspect that this is not one of her best work but it is still written quite competently and the story does genrerally hold our interest though the rather insipid romantic element is yawn-inducing.

Wells was very prolific, writing an autobiography, satires, some rather good children's poetry, young adult sequences as well as murder mysteries. She also wrote some classic limericks. Here's one:

A canner exceedingly canny
One morning remarked to his granny:
“A canner can can
Any thing that he can
But a canner can’t can a can, can he?”
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #15809
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'll be glad when I finish it and can move on to something else.

Stitchawl
You certainly seem to be an Outlier in this opinion.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #15810
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Death at the Dolphin" by Ngaio Marsh, the 24th book in the "Inspector Alleyn" series. This book, like many in the series, is set in the world of the theatre. An attempt is made to steal a priceless glove, made by William Shakespeare for his young son Hamnett, from the Dolphin theatre where it's on display, during which attempt a watchman at the theatre dies. Alleyn must solve the mystery. As with all the books in this series, the crime really forms only the background to the novel - it's the wonderful characters that are the reason to read it, so very different from the flat, two-dimensional characters of Agatha Christie. A very good read.

For my future reading, to intersperse with the detective novels, I've decided to start reading (or re-reading) the enormous backlog of Baen books I've bought over the last 15 years or so, most of which I've never read, so in that light I'm starting with some of my earliest Baen books and reading "Hunting Party" by Elizabeth Moon, which I think I probably bought in about 1998 or 1999.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote