Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #46
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Usually torrents use a MD5 checksum on each file or block to make sure the torrent does not break while spreading it around.

I did not mean torrents, I meant the e-book file itself. Of course technology exists to digitally sign files so that you know that they are from who it says they are. I was not aware that e.g. epub files have that included in the standard.
I was talking about the book itself (or the file itself in general). Let's say that you find a file named filenameA as a torrent. The program that you use to download it can find it even if it was uploaded by someone else as filenameB and recognize it as the same file so that it can be downloaded from both sources.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #47
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Have you tried yet to write JKR an email or letter explaining the extend of the disabilities and simply ask her if that family can get the ebooks? Maybe she will send you an evaluation copy or something of the ebooks?

Just a thought.
I'm pretty sure, given that she's done photo ops with children charities, that she's AWARE that children with disabilities exist.

It will be easier, I think, to send the books all off to 1DollarScan and OCR them.

@ucfgrad93, I'm sorry I offended you, but as a disabled person it's a little tiring to have people keep trying to "solve" your problem as if one is so stupid they aren't aware that audio books exist. So it's kind of lose-lose: if I try to educate people that it's more complicated than that, they take offense; if I say "oh, thank you!" it encourages the idea that disabled people are too stupid to navigate their own disabilities.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM   #48
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
if I try to educate people that it's more complicated than that, they take offense; if I say "oh, thank you!" it encourages the idea that disabled people are too stupid to navigate their own disabilities.
Generally speaking, if you are trying to educate someone you shouldn't be so crabby and jump down their throat.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #49
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Generally speaking, if you are trying to educate someone you shouldn't be so crabby and jump down their throat.
Funny how people confronted with Privileged People Solving Their Disability Problems are so often hostile.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #50
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Quote:
Funny how people confronted with Privileged People Solving Their Disability Problems are so often hostile.
And vice versa it would appear.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #51
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I find the whole thing frustrating. Apparently Rowling gives f**k-all about disabled children who can only read on computers and eReaders. *sigh*
Quote:
Well, that makes it all hunky dory, then ya? Because all disabled children have pitch perfect hearing, and it's perfectly reasonable for them to not be allowed to read with their eyes the most popular kids' book series of practically all time.

Sorry, you're probably trying to help, and I'm being touchy because I have personal experience with a family of people who are both (a) hard-of-hearing and (b) unable to lift and handle the heavy Harry Potter books. Life is fun sometimes, but that's what 1DollarScan is for, yeah?
Quote:
You're right, there is no hostility in you at all..
Old 02-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #52
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Pretty angry mermaid.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #53
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
You're right, there is no hostility in you at all..
I already said that I am hostile and provided a link to why that might be: Marginalization tends to grind one down. So, uh, you're reading me wrong.

If you'd like it spelled out: Yes, I am hostile about being disabled. I don't like not being able to pick up a 1,000 page book for casual reading. I don't like being unable to get said book on an eReader because US disability protections are toothless and Rowling cares more about making sure that everyone has "the same reading experience" than letting the children in my family read her books. And I don't like someone pointing out that audio book versions exist and (accidentally, but nonetheless) implying that I'm too stupid to have thought about that. Audio books! My god! That's a thing? THANK YOU, GOOD SIR. I never would have guessed!

I am hostile about being disabled because I live in a world that is hostile to me. I tried to coddle you a little with the whole, "sorry, I know you're trying to help, but..." but that wasn't enough for you, so, eh.

Last edited by anamardoll; 02-16-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #54
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Quote:
implying that I'm too stupid to have thought about that. Audio books! My god! That's a thing? THANK YOU, GOOD SIR. I never would have guessed!
I never implied any such thing. It was merely to point out that yes, JKR doesn't allow ebooks but she has allowed audio books. But instead, you just want to make bitter angry accusations against JKR (she doesn't give f**k about disabled kids) and myself. I'm sorry that you are disabled and can't hold large physical books like the Harry Potter series. That said, you aren't entitled to them just because you have a disability.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #55
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Really? I'm not entitled to the world on a silver platter because I'm physically disabled? Wow, you're the first person to ever teach me that. Thank you so very much.

So, in closing, you agree that Rowling doesn't care about making her works available to disabled children, you just think they shouldn't complain about it. Go, you.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #56
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I've had a slow burn going since the Pottermore Insider stopped talking about how the website development was going, and dedicated itself to posting fanarts from the lucky million or so beta testers. So at this point, I'm not really to concerned about the availability (or lack thereof) of Potter ebooks, compared with the guys managing the future ebook store's behvior.

Hello, earth to (bleep), get your (bleep) in motion and let us mere mortals register!
Old 02-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #57
ucfgrad93
Wizard

Quote:
So, in closing, you agree that Rowling doesn't care about making her works available to disabled children, you just think they shouldn't complain about it. Go, you.
Once again, you are implying things I never said. Complain all you want, but JKR has the right to release or not release the Harry Potter series as ebooks. Her books are available in print or audio format. You just want to bitch cause they are not in the format you prefer.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #58
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I don't think that is what UCFGrad93 said. She gave an option, not knowing that it would push a button, for people with disabilities to listen to the Harry Potter books. It is not the same as reading them but it is an option.

You think that JKR doesn't care about kids with disabilities because she has not made the e-books available. Your button was pushed, unintentionally, by UCFGrad93 because not all people with physical disabilities can listen to the books. I happen to disagree with you. I seriously doubt that JKR is sitting at home intentionally making a decision that harms kids with disabilities. I think not releasing the e-books is a stupid business decision but for different reasons then you.

There is a polite why of making that comment. "I am aware of the audiobooks but those do not work for many people with physical disabilities because..." It says the same thing, passes on good info, and does not anger people who were not trying to push your buttons.

You are angry, that much is clear. You do little to help yourself or your cause when your first response to a suggestion is to jump down peoples throats. If educating people on the hardships of folks with the types of disabilities that your family faces is not important to you, then your current approach will work for you. If you want people to learn something and perhaps be willing to help the cause (writing emails explaining that releasing the e-books would help people with disabilities) I think you want to take a different approach.

(prepares for things thrown at her)
Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #59
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I seriously doubt that JKR is sitting at home intentionally making a decision that harms kids with disabilities.
Oh, I don't think she's deliberately trying to screw over disabled kids. I think she just doesn't CARE about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There is a polite why of making that comment. "I am aware of the audiobooks but those do not work for many people with physical disabilities because..." It says the same thing, passes on good info, and does not anger people who were not trying to push your buttons.
Eh. In my response comment, I said I was sorry and acknowledged they were trying to help and that my previous sarcastic paragraph was probably kind of harsh but tried to explain where I was coming from. That apparently wasn't enough for zie and zie decided to make potshots. So, yeah.

I don't actually feel called to educate the world about people with disabilities in a sweet, happy, gentle, cooing voice. Ableism is something that people need to educate themselves on, as with racism, sexism, classism, and any number of other subjects. I'm here to chat about ebooks and yes sometimes I get angry. That doesn't make me different from, oh, say, anyone else online.

I'm not going to be Mother Teresa in order to prevent people from saying that disabled kids are entitled and uppity for wanting to read Harry Potter. If zie feels that way, zie can own it.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #60
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Once again, you are implying things I never said. Complain all you want, but JKR has the right to release or not release the Harry Potter series as ebooks. Her books are available in print or audio format. You just want to bitch cause they are not in the format you prefer.
She has a valid reason for wanting them in that format. I don't agree with her appraoch but she has a valid reason for wanting them in that format.

I have learning disabilities and there are certain resources that I am legally entitled to, such as books on tape or however they are done these days. I didn't really needs them, my dyslexia was not that severe but I know plenty of folks whose was, so I was ok. My friends who could not read because of their dyslexia would have to wait ages to get their text books on tape. It held them back in school.

They were not acting like entitled brats because they wanted their books on tape. They wanted a chance at getting a decent education and the system functioned like crap. It is upsetting. It is even more upsetting when it is your child.

Ebooks and e-readers and computer programs should be able to decrease this problem. Buy the e-book, listen to it on a computer or your Kindle. But the book has to be available.

I don't think any author or Publisher is sitting around thinking how great it is to screw over people who cannot read physical books due to physical, mental, or learning disabilties. Just like I don't think most people are aware of why the TTS option is awesome for people with disabilities, most folks on the boards think that it is a waste because they don't understand how it can help people.

I want the e-books released because I want to legally own them. I don't like holding the large books or carrying the around. I understand why people who struggle with reading or holding large objects would want them on e-books.

JKR is the owner of the rights and can do what she wishes with them . Her decision is upsetting people. She does not seem to be concerned about that. Her lack of concern has lead to more people pirating her books. Pirating is wrong but she is sure making it difficult for people who want the e-books. When she makes her books available as e-books I will buy them. Until them, I will read the version that I have.

Call it a sense of entitlement if you will. I call her decision bad business.
Closed Thread