Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
tiredofspammers
tiredofspammers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle.
Thumbs down Mods: Please make a single "Free EBooks" thread.

Dear mods,

This forum was, at one time, useful.

However, spammers such as "Koland" and "Arcadata" have spammed this forum with innumerable threads for every single eBook for every single platform.

This forum would be much more useful if such spammers were either relegated to a single "Free Ebooks" thread.

Just a suggestion.
tiredofspammers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I don't want to have to dig through a hundred-page thread to find free ebooks.

I'm sorry your threads aren't as prominent as you want them to be (that is why you've made this secret identity to post from, isn't it?) but I think the words "tough noogies" come to mind.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
you're completely out of line.

go away
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I find Mobileread forums plenty useful, and don't think multiple listings for free ebooks should all be combined.

It might be nice if similar-themed ones got combined sometimes--three free mysteries, or a handful of science fiction books--but, meh, I don't mind if they're all separate.

And if someone thinks it's actually a problem for forum participants (as opposed to "for people who want to promote their books"), they should say so... while logged in as someone who's been here for a while. No idea why anyone would think the mods should take seriously a complaint from someone using an account made yesterday. If the forums were "at one time, useful"--show us what time you're talking about. When do you remember them being useful, and when did they stop?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
reported.

First time post?

Uses it to complain about the site?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
A single THREAD? That would be a rather unpleasant way of finding current info.

You don't have to click on threads you don't want to read.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 PM   #7
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
I'm surprised at this comment. I thought Koland and Arcadata were performing a useful service. I certainly wouldn't call them spammers.

It's also an odd comment for a first time poster to make. Am I missing something here?
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
I'm surprised at this comment. I thought Koland and Arcadata were performing a useful service. I certainly wouldn't call them spammers.

It's also an odd comment for a first time poster to make. Am I missing something here?
Just a display of really bad manners!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofspammers View Post
This forum would be much more useful if such spammers were either relegated to a single "Free Ebooks" thread.
1) Gratuitously insulting the posters who actually take the time out of their day to post those "Free Ebooks" you want so much is counter-productive.

2) The problem with having a single thread is that someone would have to maintain it, as is done for the freebies thread in the Kindle forum here, and the NOOKbooks discussion board over at B&N.

I don't see the mods or anyone else stepping up to do so, especially after your little tirade, and I doubt you're willing to, either, if you're whining for someone else to do it instead of constructively proposing the creation of a sticky thread over in the Feedback forum.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post

they ARE providing a useful service! I know I have karma'd koland a fair amount!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
reported.

First time post?

Uses it to complain about the site?
Naw, we know him. I don't know who, but it's someone's sock puppet.

Sock puppetry is bad.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I do find koland's thread useful in the kindle forum for finding all the free books at once. I don't mind the individual threads in the deals forums, but I tend to look at the kindle thread instead, since the individual threads bounce all over depending on who responds and when and all that. The kindle thread is a new sticky each month, which is useful. I would love to see a thread for each type of book (nook, epub, etc) as I do find it easier to follow, but I have no complaints about the individual threads.

I certainly wouldn't call either of them spammers, as that's the point of that forum (to find deals and freebies). I appreciate the effort they (and others) put in.

I don't think this is a bad suggestion, really, but I think it would have gone over a whole lot better from a signed-in member who offered it as a suggestion instead of a complaint. But, eh, what do I know?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #14
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
A single THREAD? That would be a rather unpleasant way of finding current info.
Agreed.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I actually came to the feedback forum to suggest something similar. I'd like to see the deals forum turned into a category--like E-Book readers--and then have separate forums/subforums for free books, hardware discounts, coupons etc. I appreciate the work people do to post about freebies--though, quite frankly, I'd prefer to see threads like "10 new romance freebies", prepended with the format.

Last edited by taming; 12-01-2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: clarity
taming is offline   Reply With Quote