Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
harpum
Enthusiast
harpum began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 51v/LG chocolate
Which battery must I buy for prs-500 replacement?

Dear all

After 2year, battery time is shorter than before.
I am planning to replace my battery to new one.
When I read the previous articles, there are no specific information for battery model number.

I just found these.
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1253
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1120
Are these ok for prs-500?

Is it possible to replace with bigger capacity?
For example,
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=4315

If you already tried some battery, please tell me model number or link.
Thank you.

Last edited by harpum; 04-09-2009 at 06:38 PM.
harpum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Bump. I'd like to know this as well. Any takers?
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #3
InspectorGadget
Enthusiast
InspectorGadget is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-500
Do you have the physical dimensions of the old cell? The physical fit should be the only issue. I assume those Powerizer cells have protection circuits on them -- they look like it and they wouldn't be able to sell them retail without them. I'm sorry, I don't have the dimensions of the standard battery. You could take it apart and measure it, and then find a replacement that was the same size or smaller. Also note the lead arrangement.

Any capacity should be chargeable, depending on the end-of-charge algorithm. The better battery-charger chips monitor terminal current so they will accurately charge any capacity cell. The not-as-good chips charge for a certain amount of time (usually 3 hours) and then cut off regardless of the current.

If you do increase the capacity and the charge time does not increase somewhat proportionally, just pull it off the charger and then plug it back in for a second session to "top it off" (in case the charger is one of those time-delay charger may not leave enough time for a full charge the first time).

Do not try to install a cell that doesn't fit, and be careful not to puncture the capsule while you're attaching and installing it. Use minimal heat with a low-wattage soldering iron. If you damage the Lithium Ion battery, overheating and fire could result later on with charging or discharging. Do not install a cell if it has damage to the capsule.

Modern LiPoly construction and composition minimizes the risks, but do take care when handling these cells. Dispose of the old one properly at a recycling center or a store that receives LiIon cells for recycling.

You proceed at your own risk. I offer advice without any guarantee or warranty.

I've worked quite a bit with these cells and charging chips so let me know if you have any questions.

- The Inspector
InspectorGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I found the below thread that might help... check posts #3 and #5 for links...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14143
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
A few days ago I found pdf document on the net
"Sony Reader PRS500 Service Manual"
It might come handy when you try to disassemble the Reader.

Just put the above name of document into google, download the six rar files, unpack and of you go ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2009, 04:11 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Bump. I'd like to know this as well. Any takers?
Here is the proper battery for the 500. I think it's also the same battery for the 505 and 700 as well. But as they don't list the battery for the 700, best to be sure before purchase if it's for the 700.

For the 500.
http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...Reader+PRS-500

For the 505.
http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/ht...Reader+PRS-505
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Could someone with an Amazon account please go and inform the people on the Amazon Kindle board that you don't have to throw your reader away when you need a new battery So tired of the misinformation about Sony's on there.

SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
lovemov
Enthusiast
lovemov began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
What one could do to make battery last longer? I think the battery is good to recharge 1000 times, that's 1000 weeks if recharge weekly, isn't it? Oh, that's like 20 years, I know, too good to be true
lovemov is offline   Reply With Quote