Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-09-2017, 11:46 PM   #1
VortX
VortX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
PW1 - Cannot download books / Register device

Hello,

I finally decided to pull the trigger and Jailbreak my PW1. I used the recommended method by downgrading to FW 5.3.3, then completed the Jailbreak. Installed JBPatch. Used it to modify the margins on the device. This is really mainly what I wanted to jailbreak for.

However, the Kindle PW1 lost the ability to download books from Amazon. I went to Cloud, selected a book (either bought at the store or a personal document). It said "downloading" briefly but nothing happened. I was able to "Sync and check for new items" without any error. I was able to go to the Experimental browser and browse the web.

So I decided to reset the Kindle. After doing so, I entered my local WiFi and tried to register. No luck. There is an "Unable to connect: There was an error while registering your Kindle" error. So I believe this is somewhat related to specifically connecting to Amazon.

Anyone had the same problem? Should I try to upgrade my Kindle to a newer firmware? What is the last version I can upgrade to without losing Jailbreak?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	157231  
VortX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:53 AM   #2
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
My understanding is that the Paperwhites require 5.6.1.1 or higher to support the new SSL certificates amazon has updated to.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...rom-the-store/
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2017, 01:45 AM   #3
VortX

This is a bit of a conundrum. Is there a way to install only the needed part (certificates?) as I want to keep both jailbreak and Amazon sync functional?
Old 06-10-2017, 01:48 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Your firmware is too old to support TLS, which is the only secure protocol Amazon supports.

You need to be running the current firmware for the PW-1, 5.6.1.1
Kiss JBpatch goodbye, it has not been updated for 5.6.1.1
Check the thread about setting new margins without JBpatch.

It was yourself, pressing the 'reset' button that destroyed your jailbreak.

Follow the directions to jailbreak your device (again).
The jailbreak is viral (if you have installed the latest 'hotfix' from NiLuJe's snapshots, and you keep your finger off of the 'reset' button).

Last edited by knc1; 06-10-2017 at 01:56 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:51 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VortX View Post
This is a bit of a conundrum. Is there a way to install only the needed part (certificates?) as I want to keep both jailbreak and Amazon sync functional?
You also need support for TLS-1.0, so there is no 'partial' update possible since that requires code changes throughout the system.

Where did you get the idea that you would lose the jailbreak or the Amazon sync functionality if you updated to 5.6.1.1 ?
Just keep your finger off of the 'reset' button.

Just follow the directions (that is: be certain you have the most recent 'hotfix' installed prior to doing the update).
See my post above.

Last edited by knc1; 06-10-2017 at 01:58 AM.
Advert
Old 06-10-2017, 03:23 AM   #6
VortX

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Where did you get the idea that you would lose the jailbreak or the Amazon sync functionality if you updated to 5.6.1.1 ?
I found no mention that JB "survives" the upgrade to 5.6.1.1. Also, no warning about the reset. Maybe I didn't read enough, though.

Thanks for all the responses, it is clear now.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I found no mention that JB "survives" the upgrade to 5.6.1.1. Also, no warning about the reset. Maybe I didn't read enough, though.

Thanks for all the responses, it is clear now.
You can not jail break a PW-1 runing 5.6.1.1, but you can downgrade it to 5.4.3.2 (which is what the PW1 jb instructions have you do).
And 5.4.3.2 can be jail broken, ref:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186645

You intend (to get TLS v1.0 working) to upgrade to 5.6.1.1 version firmware.
Version 5.6.1.1 is greater than or equal to 5.6.0 -
So read the section of the first post of the jb thread linked to above, entitled:
IMPORTANT notice regarding FW >= 5.6.0
Second sentence.

= = = =

Now for the second part, you have to engage mind and solve a logic problem:

What is now labeled as 'Reset' translates to: 'Reset (to factory defaults)'
What part of Mobileread add-ins are part of the factory defaults?

Last edited by knc1; 06-10-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
VortX

Quote:
Now for the second part, you have to engage mind and solve a logic problem:

What is now labeled as 'Reset' translates to: 'Reset (to factory defaults)'
What part of Mobileread add-ins are part of the factory defaults?
Dude. Easy, please. What part of installing a new Firmware is not replacing the installed files with factory ones? Why would I then keep the JB?

Let me explain my logic. Maybe I am making the wrong analogy here but to my (apparently illogical to you) mind they are similar. I am used to updating the firmware (ROM) on Android smartphones. When you do this, you make the custom ROM your new factory firmware. If you then "Reset to factory settings", you lose nothing, you are just cleaning up your device.

Also, if you root your device and make factory reset, you don't lose the root.

If you, however root your device and then upgrade with a new OTA release from the manufacturer, then in 90% of the cases lose the root.

So, it basically works the opposite way.

Quote:
You can not jail break a PW-1 runing 5.6.1.1, but you can downgrade it to 5.4.3.2 (which is what the PW1 jb instructions have you do).
Actually, the instructions for PW1 are to downgrade to 5.3.3 and if you read my first post you will see that this is what I did.

Again - please stop trying to make other people (me) look stupid. I will not answer any more posts in this regard.

And thanks again for the support

Last edited by VortX; 06-10-2017 at 02:23 PM. Reason: forgot to say thanks :)
Old 06-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Dude. Easy, please. What part of installing a new Firmware is not replacing the installed files with factory ones? Why would I then keep the JB?

Let me explain my logic. Maybe I am making the wrong analogy here but to my (apparently illogical to you) mind they are similar. I am used to updating the firmware (ROM) on Android smartphones. When you do this, you make the custom ROM your new factory firmware. If you then "Reset to factory settings", you lose nothing, you are just cleaning up your device.

Also, if you root your device and make factory reset, you don't lose the root.

If you, however root your device and then upgrade with a new OTA release from the manufacturer, then in 90% of the cases lose the root.

So, it basically works the opposite way.

Actually, the instructions for PW1 are to downgrade to 5.3.3 and if you read my first post you will see that this is what I did.

Again - please stop trying to make other people (me) look stupid. I will not answer any more posts in this regard.

If you factory reset a Kindle, it restores it to factory defaults. You do not keep your root, it erases anything you have done.
That means nothing you have put on there is left on there.
Kindles are not Androids. They run on a form of Linux.

So now what exactly do you want to do with your now stock kindle.
If you want to use Amazon collections, you have to register it.
There is no choice.
And in order to register, the wifi must be turned on.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
And in your case, I would recommend you contact Amazon customer support.
It might be a glitchy register page. I had that happen once. They registered it for me.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:55 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -

In this case, you are doing it to yourself.

Only the color display Kindles run Android (which IS a Linux distribution), the grayscale Kindles run an Amazon Linux distribution (not Googles).

There is no reason to assume that "Amazon Linux" runs / behaves the same as "Android (Google) Linux".
It does not, so don't expect it to behave the same as your Android cell 'phone.

- - - -

And the firmware version to downgrade to is a typo in the first post, follow the link to the original posting off-site.

Last edited by knc1; 06-10-2017 at 03:57 PM.