Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 05:42 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I Know what I See on my PW3 & these updates & Voice Flies are cutting into my e-book space.
Firmware updates don't affect the amount of user storage. The firmware is in an entirely separate disk partition, completely separate to user storage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:42 AM   #32
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
In context:

It looks like it is clarifying that if you hit " remove all old books", it will do just what it says, remove them. Unlike cloud books, they won't be backed up.
That's a handy solution if you want to remove a load of books but not do a factory reset.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #33
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I am waiting for 6.0 with a bunch of new options for making reading betrer
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:16 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I am waiting for 6.0 with a bunch of new options for making reading betrer
Kindle firmware "generations" are tied to hardware generations, so we're unlikely to see a v6 firmware for any current Kindle; that would come with a new generation of hardware.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #35
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Kindle firmware "generations" are tied to hardware generations, so we're unlikely to see a v6 firmware for any current Kindle; that would come with a new generation of hardware.
Or a continuation of an existing generation of hardware, such as the first generation Kindle Fire.
Ref:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200203720
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:14 AM   #36
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Firmware updates don't affect the amount of user storage. The firmware is in an entirely separate disk partition, completely separate to user storage.
The voice files are about a gigabyte. And live in user storage. They are a real concern for people who have 4gb and many large books
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The voice files are about a gigabyte. And live in user storage. They are a real concern for people who have 4gb and many large books
Of course, but can they not be deleted by those who don't use VoiceView? They certainly could on the Kindle Touch, which was the last Kindle I owned which had TTS.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #38
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Of course, but can they not be deleted by those who don't use VoiceView? They certainly could on the Kindle Touch, which was the last Kindle I owned which had TTS.
Yes, I deleted the voice files from my Oasis 1 as I knew I wouldn't use them. No problem. They were only about 150MB as I recall though.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:01 AM   #39
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Yes, I deleted the voice files from my Oasis 1 as I knew I wouldn't use them. No problem. They were only about 150MB as I recall though.
I think you are right, I think I mixed up the full size of a certain update package, not just the voice files.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:49 PM   #40
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
I think you are right, I think I mixed up the full size of a certain update package, not just the voice files.
The firmware update packages are nowhere near a gigabyte either: 250MiB or thereabouts.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:42 PM   #41
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
The firmware update packages are nowhere near a gigabyte either: 250MiB or thereabouts.
The updates I was thinking of are the factory images we used for jailbreaking, they include the full firmware and the audio files:

Kindle Oasis Firmware - update_KOA_5.7.4_initial.bin
(757MB)

Kindle Paperwhite 3 Firmware - update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin
(757MB)
Old 10-31-2017, 06:39 PM   #42
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Interesting, my new KOA2 was delivered with 5.9.2.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is 5.9.2 worth it to put on a PW3? Is it the same as 5.9.2 on a KO2 except for audible and night mode?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:46 PM   #44
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is 5.9.2 worth it to put on a PW3? Is it the same as 5.9.2 on a KO2 except for audible and night mode?
just got home and opened the box; haven't had enough hands on time with it to form an educated opinion one way or the other.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:52 PM   #45
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:

It starts out 4gb with 1 gb for the os & voice...so that leave 3 gb for e-books.... the caliber takes some away, & Every update amazon sends takes more. right now with No e-books nor audible on it my PW3 has 2,800 what ever its called for e-books & It hasn't even go the 5.9.2 update
Even at this point its useless to me.

90% of my ebooks are side loaded x3 I have at last count 4,000 which includes box sets huge books tiny shorties. The other 10% are on my Amazon account. So there is Download No as I want to read the books....

Last edited by Barbara1955; 10-31-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote