Notices

Old 08-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
pete6055
Connoisseur
pete6055 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Software Conflict --Sigil 9.8 & Diskeeper 16, Windows 10 pro

Hello,

Heads up...When Diskeeper 16 is loaded on my PC, Sigil v09.8 will not open. Once Diskeeper is uninstalled, Sigil works as expected. I've reported the software conflict to Conduciv Technologies and I'll share the reply I receive from them.

Kevin and company: would a memory dump or anything else help resolve this, or perhaps someone else has reported this problem to you? Though, I think it's up to Conduciv to resolve.

Thanks,
Pete
pete6055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6055 View Post
Hello,

Heads up...When Diskeeper 16 is loaded on my PC, Sigil v09.8 will not open. Once Diskeeper is uninstalled, Sigil works as expected. I've reported the software conflict to Conduciv Technologies and I'll share the reply I receive from them.

Kevin and company: would a memory dump or anything else help resolve this, or perhaps someone else has reported this problem to you? Though, I think it's up to Conduciv to resolve.

Thanks,
Pete
I'll be interested to see what they're doing. Even if their software puts its own Qt libraries in the system path, it shouldn't affect Sigil. The only thing I can think of that would cause problems is if their installation software sets some Qt-specific environment variables system-wide. That would be bad.

We used to have problems with incompatible versions of OpenSSL being on the system path, but we stopped compiling OpenSSL support into Sigil's Qt on Windows to avoid that.

What would probably help the most is profiling a Sigil launch with Dependency Walker.

Thanks for the heads-up though.

P.S. I wonder if the evaluation copy of Diskeeper Home would exhibit the problem? There are no "gotchas" with installing/uninstalling the software is there? I don't want to have to setup a new virtual Windows machine just to do a little testing.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-28-2017 at 03:30 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
pete6055
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'll be interested to see what they're doing. Even if their software puts its own Qt libraries in the system path, it shouldn't affect Sigil. The only thing I can think of that would cause problems is if their installation software sets some Qt-specific environment variables system-wide. That would be bad.

We used to have problems with incompatible versions of OpenSSL being on the system path, but we stopped compiling OpenSSL support into Sigil's Qt on Windows to avoid that.

What would probably help the most is profiling a Sigil launch with Dependency Walker.

Thanks for the heads-up though.

P.S. I wonder if the evaluation copy of Diskeeper Home would exhibit the problem? There are no "gotchas" with installing/uninstalling the software is there? I don't want to have to setup a new virtual Windows machine just to do a little testing.
Thanks for the reply:

There are no "gotchas" I'm aware of with Diskeeper. Conduciv is a good company with excellent tech support, so when they recontact me I'll ask about your best test options to make sure. They should be more than willing to help.

I'll also ask if Diskeeper sets some Qt-specific environment variables system-wide. I'll let you know either here, or by private message if you prefer.

I've never used Dependency Walker before, but I just downloaded it. Is there a tutorial? I didn't see one on their website. Am I right to assume you'll want scans of the Sigil and Diskeeper exe files, once Diskeeper is reinstalled?

Thanks,
Old 08-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, loading the Sigil exe in Dependency Walker when Diskeeper is installed should be enough. If Diskeeper being installed keeps Sigil from launching altogether, then Dependency Walker should prominently display a big, fat red error rather quickly.

EDIT: it's as easy as File->Open, and browse to the Sigil exe. Profiling is a little more in-depth, but since Sigil won't launch, that's not really an option anyway.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-28-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
pete6055
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually, loading the Sigil exe in Dependency Walker when Diskeeper is installed should be enough. If Diskeeper being installed keeps Sigil from launching altogether, then Dependency Walker should prominently display a big, fat red error rather quickly.

EDIT: it's as easy as File->Open, and browse to the Sigil exe. Profiling is a little more in-depth, but since Sigil won't launch, that's not really an option anyway.
I reloaded Diskeeper 16 and Sigil now works. My theory as to the different result between today and yesterday is accepting a feature of how Diskeeper would like to use DRAM.

Dependency Walker, however, does not come back clean on Sigil. In any event, Sigil appears to be working just fine, despite the DW alert. I can't attach the DW text file because it exceeds the 20mb limit set for attachments. If there is an e-mail address off-board I can use to send it, just PM me. Or I guess I can split it and send 2 pieces--let me know.

Thanks
Advert
Old 08-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Dependency Walker rarely comes back completely clean. There are always a few "irrelevant" delayed-load modules missing depending on which version of Windows is being used. I've just learned which ones can be safely ignored. Thanks for checking.

I'll PM you an email address you can send the text to. Might not be until a little later, though.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Greater than 20Mb seems a bit excessive. Did you just Open the Sigil.exe or did you do a full-on Profiling after that? The profiling would really only be relevant if you were noticing issues with Sigil after it was already running.

Under "View" make sure "Full Paths" is checked and open C:\Progam Files\Sigil\Sigil.exe and let me know what the red warnings are in the Log Window.

Any "IESHIMS.DLL" error is meaningless. As are any warnings surrounding "IEFRAME.DLL".

If you have other errors feel free to send me the saved text. I'm PMing you an email address now.