Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-20-2017, 01:01 AM   #871
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Harlequin coupon.

33% off site-wide with code TREATS17

Quote:
*Offer valid until September 20, 2017, 11:59 p.m. ET. Offer entitles purchaser to 33% off the list price of print books and ebooks when the coupon code is entered at checkout. Sales tax applied where applicable. Quantities are limited. All orders subject to approval. One time use only.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:50 AM   #872
worktolive
Guru
worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, iPad
Free:

A Dragon's Family Album by Thea Harrison.

Sorry for the non-clickable link. I'm traveling and my iPad is being a bit temperamental this morning.

If you aren't already reading The Elder Races series, this probably isn't the place to jump in.

Spoiler:
From New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Thea Harrison…

This collection contains Dragos Takes a Holiday, Pia Saves the Day, and Peanut Goes to School (two novellas and a short story in the Elder Races series, previously published separately). All three stories focus on the Cuelebres, the First Family of the Wyr.

Dragos Takes a Holiday: When the Cuelebre family heads to Bermuda for some much needed R&R, it’s no ordinary weekend in the sun. Between Pirates, treasure hunting, and a baby dragon… what could possibly go wrong?

Pia Saves the Day: The Cuelebres have moved to upstate New York where they finally have the space to indulge their Wyr side, and Liam can grow in safety. Their idyllic situation is shattered when Dragos is injured and stripped of his memory. Without Pia’s taming influence, there’s nothing holding back Dragos’s darkest side.

Peanut Goes to School: Dragos Cuelebre is no longer the only dragon. At just six months of age, Liam has already grown to the size of a large five-year-old boy. In an effort to give him a taste of normality, his parents enroll him in first grade. But school has a surprising number of pitfalls, and Liam is fast becoming one of the most dangerous creatures in all of the Elder Races.
worktolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2017, 02:55 AM   #873
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
The early novellas were good and added to the series. A few of the later novellas in the paranormal anthologies are too far outside the box for the world she created (IMO). Not sure which ones are in Time of Death.

I like Naked in Death for the beginning of Eve & Roarke's relationship. Also I've reread it so many times there's a nostalgia factor for me. But I agree it doesn't have the best murder mystery.
Totally agree. It would be a shorter list of which novellas add to the story and don't take the very pragmatic Eve into the woo-wwo side (as well as making Peabody sound like a total idiot).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:08 AM   #874
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The first book in Time had a fake vampire. I assume you mean aren't hooked on Eve.
Yes, if the reader isn't hooked on Eve. I've been reading the series since book 2 came out. I know a lot of people I loaned the books to back in the days before digital books, especially non-romance readers, maybe weren't hooked after Naked in Death but if they kept going with Glory and Immortal then most of them continued with the series. I don't think you can necessarily say if you will enjoy the series if you only read book one.

I have one friend who read through about book fifteen or so and then she told me she just didn't like Eve. I can't imagine continuing reading the books where you don't like THE main character. This series is very much about Eve. Yes, her romance and marriage to Roarke plays an integral part, but it's ultimately HER story.

The vampire novella is a good example of Nora writing to the paranormal theme but sticking to her rules
Spoiler:
since the vampire wasn't real. There is one novella where she goes full paranormal with the plot and it is not a good fit with the police procedural aspects of the series. And another where it's borderline full paranormal.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #875
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Thanks!

I'm not traveling , so here are links:

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Dragons-Famil...dp/B00O4HSROQ/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/a-d...s-family-album
Kindle UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dragons-Fam...dp/B00O4HSROQ/

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolive View Post
Free:

A Dragon's Family Album by Thea Harrison.

Sorry for the non-clickable link. I'm traveling and my iPad is being a bit temperamental this morning.

If you aren't already reading The Elder Races series, this probably isn't the place to jump in.

Spoiler:
From New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Thea Harrison…

This collection contains Dragos Takes a Holiday, Pia Saves the Day, and Peanut Goes to School (two novellas and a short story in the Elder Races series, previously published separately). All three stories focus on the Cuelebres, the First Family of the Wyr.

Dragos Takes a Holiday: When the Cuelebre family heads to Bermuda for some much needed R&R, it’s no ordinary weekend in the sun. Between Pirates, treasure hunting, and a baby dragon… what could possibly go wrong?

Pia Saves the Day: The Cuelebres have moved to upstate New York where they finally have the space to indulge their Wyr side, and Liam can grow in safety. Their idyllic situation is shattered when Dragos is injured and stripped of his memory. Without Pia’s taming influence, there’s nothing holding back Dragos’s darkest side.

Peanut Goes to School: Dragos Cuelebre is no longer the only dragon. At just six months of age, Liam has already grown to the size of a large five-year-old boy. In an effort to give him a taste of normality, his parents enroll him in first grade. But school has a surprising number of pitfalls, and Liam is fast becoming one of the most dangerous creatures in all of the Elder Races.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #876
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Yes, if the reader isn't hooked on Eve. I've been reading the series since book 2 came out. I know a lot of people I loaned the books to back in the days before digital books, especially non-romance readers, maybe weren't hooked after Naked in Death but if they kept going with Glory and Immortal then most of them continued with the series. I don't think you can necessarily say if you will enjoy the series if you only read book one.

I have one friend who read through about book fifteen or so and then she told me she just didn't like Eve. I can't imagine continuing reading the books where you don't like THE main character. This series is very much about Eve. Yes, her romance and marriage to Roarke plays an integral part, but it's ultimately HER story.

The vampire novella is a good example of Nora writing to the paranormal theme but sticking to her rules
Spoiler:
since the vampire wasn't real. There is one novella where she goes full paranormal with the plot and it is not a good fit with the police procedural aspects of the series. And another where it's borderline full paranormal.
I have only given up on a couple of series, usually because of the author not the characters in a book. An example would be the Anita Blake series. I loved the first ones. Her later books left me wondering why they were sold at Walmart when they should have been sold at the Love Shack. They weren't paranormal romance by that point.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #877
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
I have been frustrated with Eve at certain points in the series, and I had to remind myself that the timeframe in the series is actually pretty short. She's been writing these for about 25 years now, right?, but only 3 years have passed in the book's time.

Year after year, you read about this suspicious, impatient, tormented, arrogant woman, and she has this great husband and develops good friends - and she can be *so* rude to them. (How many times has she called one of them up, refused to say even "hi, how you doing?", demanded they drop everything to assist her NOW, then hang up while they're asking questions?)

When that starts to bug me, I just have to remind myself - it's really only been 3 years (or whatever the timeframe was when I was reading the book(s) that particularly set me off). And, she has reasons for not trusting/making friends easily.

If I think TOO hard about the short timeframe, I have to say that New York in the late 2050s-early 2060s will be a haven (if only short term) for serial killers! Eve rarely gets cases that could be considered simple in any way. But that's true of any long-running series.

One of my absolutely favorite books in this series is Treachery in Death, because it let us see some real growth in Eve's personality. I've been liking where Eve is in her personal journey a lot more since that book - and it's easier to accept the meltdowns (such as, "humming woman in Eve's office") when they come.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:31 PM   #878
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I have only given up on a couple of series, usually because of the author not the characters in a book. An example would be the Anita Blake series. I loved the first ones. Her later books left me wondering why they were sold at Walmart when they should have been sold at the Love Shack. They weren't paranormal romance by that point.
I totally agree. I gave up on the Anita Blake series around book 20, but bought a couple after that. Her Anita books just basically turned into one big orgy scene after another. Then there is the fact that NOBODY including Anita ever matures and grows up! Life if about change if you don't change and grow, you stagnate and die, which is what the Anita Blake series does for me. So I stopped reading them.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #879
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I totally agree. I gave up on the Anita Blake series around book 20, but bought a couple after that. Her Anita books just basically turned into one big orgy scene after another. Then there is the fact that NOBODY including Anita ever matures and grows up! Life if about change if you don't change and grow, you stagnate and die, which is what the Anita Blake series does for me. So I stopped reading them.
I stopped after 15.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:33 AM   #880
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I have been frustrated with Eve at certain points in the series, and I had to remind myself that the timeframe in the series is actually pretty short. She's been writing these for about 25 years now, right?, but only 3 years have passed in the book's time.

Year after year, you read about this suspicious, impatient, tormented, arrogant woman, and she has this great husband and develops good friends - and she can be *so* rude to them. (How many times has she called one of them up, refused to say even "hi, how you doing?", demanded they drop everything to assist her NOW, then hang up while they're asking questions?)

When that starts to bug me, I just have to remind myself - it's really only been 3 years (or whatever the timeframe was when I was reading the book(s) that particularly set me off). And, she has reasons for not trusting/making friends easily.

If I think TOO hard about the short timeframe, I have to say that New York in the late 2050s-early 2060s will be a haven (if only short term) for serial killers! Eve rarely gets cases that could be considered simple in any way. But that's true of any long-running series.

One of my absolutely favorite books in this series is Treachery in Death, because it let us see some real growth in Eve's personality. I've been liking where Eve is in her personal journey a lot more since that book - and it's easier to accept the meltdowns (such as, "humming woman in Eve's office") when they come.
I can see why people become frustrated with Eve, but I think that's different than actually not liking her as a character at all.

When I asked her why she'd kept reading, my friend said she liked the mysteries and the supporting characters and wanted to know if Eve was ever not in one of the books. When I told her no, she said she just didn't like Eve so she was going to stop reading them. I was agog that she'd read through so many (IIRC she read through Memory or Born, so it was quite a ways into the series).

I do think Eve has grown over the years. But as you said, in book time it's been a short timeframe so some of the changes are subtle. Stuff like her calling people and not saying hi doesn't bother me.

And yes, so many serial killers
Old 09-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #881
worktolive
Guru
worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, iPad
The Vampire's Mail Order Bride, a PNR by Kristen Painter is currently free.

I read this and enjoyed it. It's light and doesn't take itself very seriously. I'm still traveling so apologize for the lack of a clickable link.
worktolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #882
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolive View Post
The Vampire's Mail Order Bride, a PNR by Kristen Painter is currently free.

I read this and enjoyed it. It's light and doesn't take itself very seriously. I'm still traveling so apologize for the lack of a clickable link.
Links to Amazon US and Kobo US.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #883
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Weekly Report:

Read:
  • The Mark of the Tala (The Twelve Kingdoms #1) by Jeffe Kennedy (A-/5 stars)
  • Saison for Love (Brewing Love #2) by Meg Benjamin (B/4 stars)
  • Made for Us (The Shaughnessy Brothers #1) by Samantha Chase (D+/2 stars)
  • Love Walks In (The Shaughnessy Brothers #2) by Samantha Chase (C/2 stars)

Purchased:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	books 9-24.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	159162  
Old 09-25-2017, 02:04 AM   #884
library addict
Grand Sorcerer

Is anyone able to access Carina Press' website?

I've been getting a Service Temporarily Unavailable message for the past few days.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:04 AM   #885
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Same here.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote