Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
B&N introduces a new $49.99 Nook Tablet

I suppose in an effort to compete with Amazon's $49.99 7" Fire B&N has announced a new low cost 7" Nook tablet.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/nook...eId=L000022784

Quote:
NOOK Tablet 7"
by Barnes & Noble

• Read forever®, for less
• 7" IPS display optimized for reading
• Full access to Android apps in the Google Play™ Store
• More than a million books priced under $4.99
• Discovery delivered daily with B&N Readouts™
1024 x 600 Pixel Resolution --- 171 ppi

8GB onboard with microSD slot

Available for Pre-Order. This item will be available on November 25, 2016

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-16-2016 at 11:00 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I suppose in an effort to compete with Amazon's $49.99 7" Fire B&N has announced a new low cost 7" Nook tablet.

1024 x 600 Pixel Resolution --- 171 ppi

8GB onboard with microSD slot

Available for Pre-Order. This item will be available on November 25, 2016
Okay, so the resolution is pretty bad, but it's comparable to the $50 Fire.

The access to Google Play store and the SD slot make it a winner in my book.

Full Android is so much better than Amazon's fork of it.

If I didn't already have the $50 Fire, I'd buy it. It looks like a better piece of hardware.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A better piece of hardware? I don't know. Comparable? Certainly.

For anyone not wanting to spend the 5 minutes it takes to put the Play store on the 7" Fire I'd say it's better, except many people I know who have a 7" Fire bought it because it's a cheap method to get additional use from their Amazon content and like that it's tied pretty seamlessly to The Zon.

Plus with the Kindle you get the benefit of not having to deal with Nook customer support if something goes wrong.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-16-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:

For anyone not wanting to spend the 5 minutes it takes to put the Play store on the 7" Fire I'd say it's better, except many people I know who have a 7" Fire bought it because it's a cheap method to get additional use from their Amazon content and like that it's tied pretty seamlessly to The Zon.

Plus with the Kindle you get the benefit of not having to deal with Nook customer support if something goes wrong.
Plus of course its only for the US.

Nook abandoned the rest of the world and left us to Amazon.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I do wish Barnes and Noble would finally commit to the Nook platform and do something with it. Or give it up and partner with Kobo.

This "we're serious, but not really" way they're conducting business is crazy.
Advert
Old 11-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Since this appears to actually release on Black Friday I wonder if we'll see any kind of promo pricing. It's clear this is meant to go against the 7" Fire and that will be on sale for $33.33 at several outlets.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Plus of course its only for the US.

If you can call giving up their half-hearted efforts in the UK and elsewhere abandonment. They never really tried much in any market but the US and even that has been up and down.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #8
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
The Zon
Love it!!!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Yup.
How comparable is something we'll have to wait on the reviews to figure out.
Specsheets don't tell the whole story on quality.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-16-2016 at 05:19 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #10
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I do wish Barnes and Noble would finally commit to the Nook platform and do something with it. Or give it up and partner with Kobo.

This "we're serious, but not really" way they're conducting business is crazy.
I agree, I'll never take B&N seriously again. Glad to be out of their system. Their customer service alone is reason enough. I keep hoping they sell their Nook Books to Kobo too. At least customers will be able access their libraries with an app. I have my Nook Books in calibre for safe keeping, but I won't buy anymore B&N products.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 06:40 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I finally sold off all our Nook HD Tablets. I won't get any more of their products.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I still have a Nook HD tablet that I use as a loaner. I bought it when they first came out and it's still like new. I think it's a pretty decent tablet if you can overlook the rather clumsy interface. It does the things it does pretty well.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:46 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I still have a Nook HD tablet that I use as a loaner. I bought it when they first came out and it's still like new. I think it's a pretty decent tablet if you can overlook the rather clumsy interface. It does the things it does pretty well.
The HD and HD+ were very nice tablets, still are really although the Android version is long in the tooth now. I still have an HD+ although I haven't really used it for some time.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:08 AM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

Barry
Barry, try changing launchers. It made my Nook HD+ much more pleasant to use.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:30 AM   #15
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
If you can call giving up their half-hearted efforts in the UK and elsewhere abandonment. They never really tried much in any market but the US and even that has been up and down.
I don't mind their half-hearted effort in the UK - as a UK customer who couldn't buy any books I still got included in their store transfer to Kobo and got £5 credit out of it
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote