Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
shockandawe
shockandawe began at the beginning.

Device: none
question for ipad users

I'm thinking of getting an ipad air at some point due to there not really being large e readers with significant hardware.

The new version of the fire hdx has a feature to mimic paper books https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLDDqiHJh1A I'm trying to read technical books and pdfs so i don't really need to read for hours, but I know i do not enjoy reading on a stock tablet screen.

Wondering if there's an app for ios like this? I know there is a white point decrease option but that doesn't seem to be the same.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Without a sensor, there could be no app on the iPad that could match that ability (measure the ambient light in the room and change the color temp of the "paper).

However, you can change the background color from every reading app. The iBook and Kindle apps let you choose from three (white, black, beige). Other apps like Marvin have a WIDE variety of colors to choose from.

I find white on black for night mode or the beige schemes to be sufficient. I almost never read with black on white.

The iPad is great for reading, as I'm sure the Kindle Fire is as well. For ONLY reading, the Kindle does have a price advantage. When it comes to everything else a tablet can be, the iPad stands head and shoulders above the competition.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is a sensor as the front camera is used to set the screen brightness and the air can use this. However I am not aware if the app programers can get to it. I can't imagine how the kindle knows what color paper it is emulating since AFAIK there is no standard color for paper.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 11:16 PM   #4
shockandawe

It would be nice if it worked like the fire tablet but just being able to manually change the display similarly would be good. I mainly just dont like the blue hue for reading. The sepia options in some apps look like they might do the trick. Just wondering what was out there.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Sounds like you want something like f.lux for iOS. I use and love f.lux on my MacBook Air. As far as I know it is only available if you jailbreak.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2014, 12:00 AM   #6
shockandawe

yes. shame you have to jailbreak.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #7
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
It would be nice if it worked like the fire tablet but just being able to manually change the display similarly would be good. I mainly just dont like the blue hue for reading. The sepia options in some apps look like they might do the trick. Just wondering what was out there.
As for epub/mobi there are also pdf and djvu readers that allow different grades of sepia (for pdf scans and vectors), e.g. PerfectReader 2 Lite.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/perf...436633759?mt=8

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...hlight=glasses

We can also change pdf background beforehand on PC.

There are also (yellow tinted) glasses for computer screens.
http://www.gunnars.com/how-they-work/
I used to read with yellow sunglasses during a prolonged reading on LCD in the dark or under a cool white LED light.

Good anti-glare screen protector is always indispensable to me.

Last edited by markom; 11-15-2014 at 09:48 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Wow, that's pretty impressive with the new kindle fire. I didn't know it had this feature.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
Wow, that's pretty impressive with the new kindle fire. I didn't know it had this feature.
Yeah, they call it Dynamic Image Contrast and Dynamic Light Control, which changes the white point of the display on the fly. A pretty cool feature which I am looking forward to seeing in real life. Would love to get the 8.9 HDX... but need money first.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote