Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
1 eInk display (8"), iLiad's functionality for $699 5 71.43%
1 eInk display (8"), iLiad's functionality, 2 year subscription for $499 + 20/month 1 14.29%
2 eInk displays (8") (like 1 sheet of paper), iLiad's functionality for $999 1 14.29%
2 eInk displays (8") (as above), iLiad's functionality, 2 year subscription for $799 + $20/month 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
citius
citius is on a distinguished road

Device: None
Poll: More functionality for more money, or less for less?

I'm curious as to the opinion of the MobileRead community... what's more popular?

1 eInk display (8"), iLiad's functionality for $699
1 eInk display (8"), iLiad's functionality, 2 year subscription for $499 + $20/month

2 eInk displays (8"), iLiad's functionality for $999
2 eInk displays (8"), iLiad's functionality, 2 year subscription for $799 + $20/month

The common idea for 'subscription' that I've seen in these forums is something like...NetFlix for ebooks.

People hated Sony's Connect, but...I'm curious as to what they really like - it's so confusing!
citius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm pretty leery of a subscription model for these things, so anything that arranges for me to pay $480 over 2 years is something I'd look at very closely before agreeing to.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2007, 03:21 AM   #3
citius

Yeah, I know...

I personally find this DRM stuff to be sketchy-sketchy, but I remember reading *somewhere* on this site that someone was saying that paying $X/month for access to like...30 million titles or something - was much better than always going out and buying stuff. Besides, it certainly beat the Connect info...
Old 07-27-2007, 04:00 AM   #4
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Sorry, i think the iLiad has far too much functionality. It tries to be a PDA with a display not fit for the purpose. My idea would be a sponsored CyBook at about $100.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:08 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
All of these prices are too high for an ebook reader. For these prices, you'd need substantially more functionality than I think any of the present units offer.

$100 plus a subscription might work. If the hardware can't be done for that price... the ebook reader's time hasn't yet come for the mass market.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I agree with Robert, for a subscription model you need far less functionality than the iLiad offers and the price is too high on the front end. Like NatCh, anytime someone wants to put a monthly tap on my bank account I start to worry.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
citius

Well,

I've been in touch with eInk manufacturers...sample displays are easily over $400 - forecasted, since they haven't come out yet - even in volume, that won't come down that much; If you want e-ink functionality without the pricetag, you can't do it.

Do tell - what do you guys mean by 'sponsored'?
Old 07-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If e-ink displays are $400, then how can Sony sell the reader at $300?

The poll needs to be edited to have an option that says, none of the above all options too expensive
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 12:27 AM   #9
citius

Well,

the samples are well over 400 for the 8" screens, the production volumes (if you buy something like 10,000) are probably around half that.

By the way - Sony's selling those readers at a mad discount to get people to join; admittedly, it's a pretty smart idea.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:34 AM   #10
citius

HRmm...by the way...

How do you edit polls?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I've heard the production costs for the e-ink screens are around $100 each. But I don't have a source to quote on that. (And that's probably for the current-generation Sony screens.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #12
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
I didn't vote. I don't care for the options. I go with Robert's idea:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
Sorry, i think the iLiad has far too much functionality. It tries to be a PDA with a display not fit for the purpose. My idea would be a sponsored CyBook at about $100.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If e-ink displays are $400, then how can Sony sell the reader at $300?

The poll needs to be edited to have an option that says, none of the above all options too expensive
The more units you build, the cheaper your parts cost. Yes, I vote for the $100 reader. Sponsorship is a good idea for some. I thought that was what Amazon was going to do with the phantom Kindle.

If you really like the sponsorship idea, visit Filament Books and see their reader. It is basically the ebookwise-1150 under a different name. For $199 you get the reader and two books a month for a year. If the value of the reader is $109.95 as stated here, your eBooks cost you $3.71 each.

If I were buying now and were budget-conscious, I would find that very attractive.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 AM   #13
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
I didn't vote. I don't care for the options.

If you really like the sponsorship idea, visit Filament Books and see their reader. It is basically the ebookwise-1150 under a different name. For $199 you get the reader and two books a month for a year. If the value of the reader is $109.95 as stated here, your eBooks cost you $3.71 each.

If I were buying now and were budget-conscious, I would find that very attractive.
I didn't vote either, for the same reason.

As for Filament and other package deals, you have to be careful of the content provider. When I was looking for my unit, I thought the Filament deal sounded like a great deal. Browsing through their available titles was a real disappointment. I went through the entire Detective Fiction section without recognizing a single author. The Fantasy section was considerably larger, so I gave up after only a half-dozen pages, though I did see one title ("Shadow Puppets") by Orson Scott Card.

Everything is relative, of course. Compared to MobiPocket, the eBookwise selection is pretty limited. Compared to Filament, the eBookwise selection looks like Amazon.
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:08 AM   #14
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
I collect my own content, so the store contents do not move me one way or another. The eBw-1150 linked above is a good deal for $110 and you can add your own content to it. No, I don't own the eBw company
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:42 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by citius View Post
I personally find this DRM stuff to be sketchy-sketchy, but I remember reading *somewhere* on this site that someone was saying that paying $X/month for access to like...30 million titles or something - was much better than always going out and buying stuff. Besides, it certainly beat the Connect info...
Do bear in mind, though, that many of us here don't have any particular interest in buying commercial eBooks. My reason for having an eBook Reader is primarily to read out-of-copyright PG (and other) books which I can't buy as paper books, topped up with a few SF/Fanatasy books from Baen. I have zero interest in the Connect store or any other commercial eBook store (except Baen).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote