Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-14-2005, 02:27 AM   #1
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Exclamation FBReader 0.6.3 e-book reader for Sharp Zaurus

I'd like to mention FBReader 0.6.3, an open-source e-book reader for the Sharp Zaurus with 240x320 or 640x480 screen resolution (Qtopia-based ROMs or pdaXrom). Originally it was written to support the FB2 format (an XML-based format quite popular in Russia), however it now also support plain text as well as a subset of HTML (HTML images are not supported yet). The reader also supports GZIP and ZIP archives.

Last edited by MishaS; 07-14-2005 at 02:27 AM. Reason: forgot to include the link
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:11 PM   #2
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
It looks nice, but I personally think OpieReader is much nicer... More file formats, and better appearance, comparing with the screenshots.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
MishaS
Connoisseur

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
It looks nice, but I personally think OpieReader is much nicer... More file formats, and better appearance, comparing with the screenshots.
As for formats, not a lot can be said, I'd appreciate your comments on the appearance.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hey, at least you got the choice and it's all open-source! Wish this could be said for Windows Mobile-based e-book readers... ! Misha, any thoughts on porting this reader to other platforms as well?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
MishaS
Connoisseur

a small typo is fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Hey, at least you got the choice and it's all open-source! Wish this could be said for Windows Mobile-based e-book readers... ! Misha, any thoughts on porting this reader to other platforms as well?
<techmode>
Even though it's not said on the web page, it supports desktop Qt, which, together with Gtk+ (which is the same for small devices and for the desktop) gives us quite a bit of platforms this reader can run on.
</techmode>

<shy plug>
I originally asked my friend to spend some time on porting it to Gtk+. This kind request bounced back to me and we worked on the port together. My original reason for the Gtk+ port was that I wanted this program to be then ported to Nokia 770. Being a member of the team that works on the device I knew about the internals quite a bit in advance. Two screenshots of the program being run on the device can be found here: http://only.mawhrin.net/~mss/thingies/maemo/

When I finish the package and make sure that it works on the device, the port will be properly mentioned on the home page.
</shy plug>

As for other platforms, there are no really specific plans except for Palm, which is in works. However I am not sure what is the current status of it and what is the ETA.

Last edited by MishaS; 07-14-2005 at 05:59 PM. Reason: one more typo fixed :(
Advert
Old 07-14-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaS
Being a member of the team that works on the device I knew about the internals quite a bit in advance. Two screenshots of the program being run on the device can be found here: http://only.mawhrin.net/~mss/thingies/maemo/
I am speechless. You are saying this as if the Nokia 770 was just another can opener... I mean it is the device we've all been waiting for and now you are telling us that you are part of the team? You have my respect!

Quote:
As for other platforms, there are no really specific plans except for Palm, which is works. However I am not sure what is the current status of it and what is the ETA.
Palm as Palm OS Garnet or later once Palm is Palm Linux?
Old 07-14-2005, 06:09 PM   #7
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Palm as Palm OS Garnet or later once Palm is Palm Linux?
Unfortunately I do not know a lot about Palms. If what google says is true, then it's about Palm OS Garnet. However my friend mentioned that some older models of Palm do not have enough resources and the rendering is a bit too slow.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:13 AM   #8
doctorow
Guru

No biggie. It's not the first time I've come to experience that my Palm is too slow to run an application ;(

Keep up the good work though.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM   #9
mandeepsingh17
mandeepsingh17 began at the beginning.

Device: NOKIA 6233
Its good

Its great!
mandeepsingh17 is offline   Reply With Quote