Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2022, 12:59 PM   #1
tnovus
tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tnovus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Question Question for owners of the Libra h2o AND 2: Lowest brightness

Thinking about getting a Libra 2 now that my partner has taken over my Libra H2O but I'm curious, how's the brightness at the lowest level of brightness compare? Which one is dimmer?

I used to read at night with my Libra H2O's brightness setting to 1% light, 100% red and in the dark of our bedroom it was almost too bright! I'm worried the Libra 2 lowest brightness could be higher given than in reviews people tend to mention the Libra 2's frontlight being an improvement over the Libra H2O's (fuller or brighter light?).
tnovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:09 PM   #2
Nikoz
Enthusiast
Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I don't have a Libra H20 so apologies if that doesn't help, but have you considered the dark mode? I do have a Libra 2 which has it out-of-the-box, and I find it so comfortable that I now exclusively use it when I read at night.
Nikoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:17 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For my Libra 2, I use a setting of 4 for the light. I do not use the orange light.

The only other Kobo I can compare to is my Aura H2O and the light on the Libra 2 is brighter then the Aura H2O.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-15-2022 at 05:38 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 03:41 AM   #4
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a suitable setting for the light on the Libra 2.
I read in the dark-ish (bedside light on) a lot and it can turn down far darker than I want it.
You can tailor the color with the orange light - I think I turn my orange on just a hint so that the screen looks more white like paper rather than silver.

Apart from that, I move the brightness up and down a fair bit during the day depending on the conditions - it's so easy to do.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 09:38 AM   #5
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikoz View Post
I don't have a Libra H20 so apologies if that doesn't help, but have you considered the dark mode? I do have a Libra 2 which has it out-of-the-box, and I find it so comfortable that I now exclusively use it when I read at night.
I tried dark mode, but I find the white-flash refresh to be way more distracting than the black-flash you get in regular mode.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:30 AM   #6
Nikoz
Enthusiast
Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nikoz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogice View Post
I tried dark mode, but I find the white-flash refresh to be way more distracting than the black-flash you get in regular mode.
That's true. I don't use a really high brightness setting in dark mode so it's not that much of a bother, though.
Nikoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 07:42 AM   #7
r3turn3r
r3turn3r began at the beginning.

I know it's an old thread, but still it may be helpful to know. As someone, who's recently gone from Libra h2o to Libra 2, I'm pretty sure that the lowest brightness on Libra 2 is actually, uh, lower than the h2o's. Mind you, I haven't actually held both devices at the same time, but unless my mind's playing tricks on me, I'm sure of it.
r3turn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 08:39 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3turn3r View Post
I know it's an old thread, but still it may be helpful to know. As someone, who's recently gone from Libra h2o to Libra 2, I'm pretty sure that the lowest brightness on Libra 2 is actually, uh, lower than the h2o's. Mind you, I haven't actually held both devices at the same time, but unless my mind's playing tricks on me, I'm sure of it.
Is that a problem? If it really isn't as bright, just up the light level. Problem solved.

I know my Libra 2 is brighter then my Aura H2O. But I keep the Libra 2 on the same setting as I did my H2O. I keep it on 4. I find that works well. If I cannot notice the light, then I don't need to use it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:27 AM   #9
r3turn3r
r3turn3r began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is that a problem? If it really isn't as bright, just up the light level. Problem solved.

I know my Libra 2 is brighter then my Aura H2O. But I keep the Libra 2 on the same setting as I did my H2O. I keep it on 4. I find that works well. If I cannot notice the light, then I don't need to use it.
On the contrary, it's a good thing! The OP says that the lowest brightness on h20 was too bright for him, so Libra 2 is an improvement in that regard.
r3turn3r is offline   Reply With Quote