Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2022, 02:57 AM   #46
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Android is not 80% here in the UK. It fluctuates but it’s about 50% iOS, 50% android. At times it can go slightly either way.
Fwiw, here are some stats that show the situation is similar in much of "The Global North", for Australia

and https://www.statista.com/statistics/...%20few%20years.

and Europe

Statscounter gives Android's global market share as 71% (not 80+), but as that's thanks to massive dominance in "the Global South", especially Africa and India, it has little impact on e-reading. From my experience of the Indian reading situation, including conversations with an Indian author, little e-reading is done on phones. In those markets where reading on phones is more common/likely, the above figures show that Android & iOS are amuch nearer parity
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:33 AM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I’d heard of the original kindle but that wasn’t available in the UK... A couple of months later I learned of the existence of the Sony e-readers so I bought a PRS-300.
The first ereader I remember seeing was the Sony PRS-505. I thought it looked neat, but the OS was so clunky, it didn't appeal.

I remember the first Kindle and the first Nook and with both of those, I thought they were just the ugliest pieces of tech I'd ever seen.

The first reader I ever purchased was the Nook ST with Glowlight. I still really like that reader.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:09 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just a reminder that the topic is incorrect.
Quote:
The anticipated sequential growth in revenue and net profit in the second half of the year comes as the world’s major retailers quicken pace in installing electronic shelf labels (ESLs), offsetting weakening demand for e-reader and e-note products, E Ink said.
That's from the article (link in the first post of this thread). It's not about Reader sales increasing. It's about the increase in sales for shelf labels.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 02:45 PM   #49
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Thrift stores are wildly popular sources of used print books, and while not a "book store" still a popular source of books.
They are a godsend. I have used sellers on eBay and Amazon to purchase out-of-print pbooks. There are so many science fiction books that are not available in ebook format that an avid reader is forced to go the pbook route. God bless the post office for still offering media rate shipping, but those prices have gone up with inflation.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:28 PM   #50
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I started my ebook reading on my Palm Pilot, probably around 2000? I was buying books from Fictionwise as soon as I found out about it.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:21 AM   #51
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I loved good used book stores. Back in 2002-2003, our sons went to college in Louisville KY. That city had the best used book stores I've ever shopped in. I could even shop in them online via ABE Books. I always looked forward to browsing them when we visited there.

How is the used bookstore business now in Louisville, KY?

Back during that time, I lived in Cincinnati, OH, and they had some nice used bookstores.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 10:27 AM   #52
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
I started my ebook reading on my Palm Pilot, probably around 2000? I was buying books from Fictionwise as soon as I found out about it.

Same. Only for me it was a Handspring Visor and it was Christmas 1999. I was a in high school and older sister got it for me. Back then I bought from both eReader and Fictionwise. Back then eReader was called Peanut Press.
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote