Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-13-2022, 04:31 PM   #16
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
How can the screen be better if it's the same hardware? (Well, except for the processor, but I'd expect the casing and the screen to be the same.) Have you compared them side by side?
What does it have to do with hardware?
In addition, both readers have completely different hardware as well as the operating system.
(SW → Tolino Vision 6 uses Android 8.1. HW → CPU QuadCore AllWinner B300 1.8GHz + 1Gb RAM).

If you mean the E-INK 1200 screen, it doesn't mean anything, not every screen is of the same quality, or from the same manufacturer.

Sometimes the background is darker or lighter, the screen is protected by glass, different lighting is used, and you get a completely different result.

The same applies to the software and its settings for displaying, rendering (scaling), smoothing, and the like.

.. And yes, I compared them side by side.
Even when using lighting or night mode, Tolino has slightly more visible and sharper writing. Of course, the same book and font were used for the test

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 10-13-2022 at 05:55 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:47 PM   #17
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PS: However, it is not a significant difference, and the differences must be monitored in real detail. Otherwise, the Libra 2 and Tolino Visoin 6 screens are visually on the same level.
By that I mean that the difference is not such that you put both devices side by side and say that Tolino is significantly better".
Old 10-22-2022, 08:56 PM   #18
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Guys, they bought their reader months ago.
Yep, though I don't mind more conversation sparking. I like hearing about people's recommendations and opinions. I do love my PW5 though, and will probably keep it for a long time to come.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:59 AM   #19
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
PS: However, it is not a significant difference, and the differences must be monitored in real detail. Otherwise, the Libra 2 and Tolino Visoin 6 screens are visually on the same level.
By that I mean that the difference is not such that you put both devices side by side and say that Tolino is significantly better".
I appreciate your detailed answer and clarification. Yes, I was thinking about the fact that they use the same screen, both being flush, etc. I would assume they also use the same layers for the frontlight and so forth - otherwise that could play a role.

Is it possible to install other Android reading apps on it? Does Koreader have support for it (i.e. is it possible to set the refresh rate for the screen in the app and so on)?

I might consider buying that to be able to use better dictionaries (goldendict, aard2) than on my Kobo Libra 2. But I would need Koreader to do a full screen refresh on every page turn, which sadly isn't possible on unsupported devices, as far as I know.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 06:21 AM   #20
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Is it possible to install other Android reading apps on it?
The new Tolinos (Vision 6, Epos 3, Shine 4) are based on Android 8.1 and it is possible (after installing a launcher and file manager) to install other Android applications via sideloading.
I use Caliber Companion, AlReader, Golden Dict and also AARD2; but not KOReader
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 07:54 AM   #21
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
I appreciate your detailed answer and clarification. Yes, I was thinking about the fact that they use the same screen, both being flush, etc. I would assume they also use the same layers for the frontlight and so forth - otherwise that could play a role.

Is it possible to install other Android reading apps on it? Does Koreader have support for it (i.e. is it possible to set the refresh rate for the screen in the app and so on)?

I might consider buying that to be able to use better dictionaries (goldendict, aard2) than on my Kobo Libra 2. But I would need Koreader to do a full screen refresh on every page turn, which sadly isn't possible on unsupported devices, as far as I know.

Yes, it is possible to install Koreader and choose to redraw the screen at every turn.
But you don't need to install KOREADER for that, you can find page redraw every time you load in the settings :

As for the Tolino Vision 6, I don't understand why the bluetooth is removed and masked.

After minor and very simple adjustments, I managed to activate the bluetooth chip and connect external devices such as headphones and the like.
It is also possible to install and listen to audiobooks after installing Audible.
Same for TTS. Even Text-To-Speech worked perfectly.

It's a real shame that Tolino vision 6 is so limited and stripped of various features in the default Tolino environment. At the same time, Vision 6 has so much potential.

• After activating Bluetooth and connecting an external speaker, the Amazon Audible application works perfectly.
Spoiler:

• E-INK 1200 contrast :
Just typed quickly by phone, sorry for the poor quality.
Spoiler:

• Unfortunately, I haven't been able to use USB-C for listening to audio yet. I will then try other converters (USB-C to Jack 3.5) with an integrated DAC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Audiobook.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	197325   Click image for larger version

Name:	E-INKvs1200.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	197326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Launcher.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	197327   Click image for larger version

Name:	USB-C DAC.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	197328   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	197329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	197330  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 10-23-2022 at 09:45 AM.