Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Working Offline

I always forget that Calibre isn't just a program on my computer that organizes books but that it is a database whose purpose is to be used on the net that translates what I do on my computer into a dynamic way of searching for books.

Is there a way of simply working offline? I have rarely if ever even gone online to use it. Because of this, the way I format the database on my computer and the way I use Calibre no doubt causes problems for the online results. It also most likely contributes to the database being so slow to update new fields.

So... I was wondering if there was a way of taking my databases offline to work on instead of them being updated in realtime.

Is this a thing? Or possible? Or am I just ignoring the point of Calibre and using it for the wrong reasons?

The main use for Calibre for me is to store books and keep records of read dates, etc. I use the columns for the most part to copy into the comments sections then those comments end up being in the book jackets (since I have yet to figure out how to change book jackets to include those columns, no matter how simple it seems to be). The majority of my data in my library is always changing so updating Calibre takes a lot of time, just to make my book jackets and Catalogs so informational.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Calibre works fine on isolated systems (laptops with no WiFi) .
All you lose is the ability to get update notices and jump to external info (eg download metadata)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:23 PM   #3
thiago.eec
Addict
thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I use the columns for the most part to copy into the comments sections then those comments end up being in the book jackets (since I have yet to figure out how to change book jackets to include those columns, no matter how simple it seems to be).
Take a look at this:
Metadata Jacket with custom columns values?
thiago.eec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #4
Rellwood
Library Breeder
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Yeah, I have read that, and I have no idea why my brain keeps freezing when I try and do it. I can manage a lot of pretty complicated things with Calibre, but when It comes to that darn jacket I can't wrap my head around it. I have opened up and read the files, and can see where there is the line about adding your own custom columns, but then I get to figuring out exactly how to add those columns, the formatting style, etc. but I can't quite match up EXACTLY what to type, where to type it, which EXACT place and EXACT file should me changed and saved.

I would be so happy if I could just pay someone to create a template or file that I could just add and not have to do it myself and mess it up.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Rellwood
Library Breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre works fine on isolated systems (laptops with no WiFi) .
All you lose is the ability to get update notices and jump to external info (eg download metadata)
I have actually done that, turned off the wifi. I wonder if having the content server on or off makes a difference. Also, having multiple libraries attached as well. I could go about removing a lot of libraries and only attach them as needed. I use the majority of them as "holding" libraries that have no need to be on the content server.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:01 PM   #6
thiago.eec
Addict
thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.thiago.eec can grok the meaning of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
I would be so happy if I could just pay someone to create a template or file that I could just add and not have to do it myself and mess it up.
No need for paying. Just go to your calibre installation folder and find these files:
Code:
Calibre2\app\resources\jacket\template.xhtml
Calibre2\app\resources\jacket\stylesheet.css
On my Windows machine, the installation folder is:
Code:
C:\Program Files\Calibre2\app\resources\jacket
Now, you add your custom columns by editing the template.xhtml file, like this (see the red lines):
Spoiler:

Code:
<html xmlns="{xmlns}">
    <head>
        <title>{title_str}</title>
        <meta name="calibre-content" content="jacket"/>
        <style type="text/css">{css}</style>
    </head>
    <body>
        <div class="cbj_banner">
            <table class="cbj_header">
            	<tr>
            		<td class="cbj_title" colspan="2">{title}</td>
            	</tr>
                <tr>
                    <!-- If you do not want the series number to be formatted using roman numerals
                        change {series.roman} to {series}. You can also access the raw series name and number
                        using {series.name}, {series.number} or {series.roman_number} -->
                    <td  class="cbj_series" colspan="2">{series.roman}</td>
                </tr>
            	<tr>
            		<td class="cbj_author" colspan="2">{author}</td>
            	</tr>
                <tr>
                	<td class="cbj_pubdata" colspan="2">{publisher} ({pubdate})</td>
                </tr>

<tr>
            		<td class="cbj_author" colspan="2"><hr class="metadata_divider" /></td>
            	</tr>

<tr class="cbj_rating">
                    <td class="cbj_label">{rating_label}:</td>
                    <td class="cbj_content">{rating}</td>
                </tr>
                <tr class="cbj_tags">
                    <td class="cbj_label">{tags_label}:</td>
                    <!-- If you want the tags to be alphabetical, change {tags} to
                        {tags.alphabetical} -->
                    <td class="cbj_content">{tags}</td>
                </tr>
                <tr data-calibre-jacket-searchable-tags="1" style="color:white; display:none"><td colspan="2">{searchable_tags}</td></tr>
            </table>
            <div class="cbj_footer">{footer}</div>
        </div>
        <hr class="cbj_kindle_banner_hr" />
        <!-- 
        In addition you can add code to show the values of custom columns here.
        The value is available as _column_name and the title as
        _column_name_label.  For example, if you have a custom column with
        label #genre, you can add it to this template with _genre_label and
        _genre. Note that the # is replaced by an underscore. For example

<div><b>{_genre_label}:</b> {_genre}</div>
        -->

<div><b>{_pages_label}:</b> {_pages}</div>
		<div class="read_date"><b>{_read_date_label}:</b> {_read_date}</div>

<div class="cbj_comments">{comments}</div>
    </body>
</html>

On the above example, I've added two custom columns: #pages and #read_date. Notice that the # has been replaced by an underscore. For the #read_date column I added a class, corresponding to a CSS rule defined on the stylesheet.css file (see below).

Spoiler:

Code:
/*
**	Book Jacket generation
**	The template for Book Jackets is template.xhtml
**	This CSS is inserted into the generated HTML at conversion time
**	Users can control parts of the presentation of a generated book jacket by
** 	editing this file and template.xhtml
**	The general form of a generated Book Jacket:
**	                  Title
**	Series: series [series_index]
**	Published: year_of_publication
**	Rating: #_of_stars
**	Tags: tag1, tag2, tag3 ...
**	Comments
**	If a book does not have Series information, a date of publication, a rating or tags
**	the corresponding row is automatically removed from the generated book jacket.
*/

/*
**	Banner
**	Only affects EPUB, kindle ignores this type of formatting
*/
.cbj_banner {
	background: #eee;
    color: black;
	border: thin solid black;
	margin: 1em;
	padding: 1em;
	border-radius:8px;
	}

/*
**	Title
*/
table.cbj_header td.cbj_title {
	font-size: 1.5em;
	font-style: italic;
	text-align: center;
}

/*
**	Series
*/
table.cbj_header td.cbj_series {
}

/*
**	Author
*/
table.cbj_header td.cbj_author {
}

/*
**	Publisher/published
*/
table.cbj_header td.cbj_pubdata {
}

/*
**	Table containing Rating and Tags
*/
table.cbj_header {
	width: 100%;
	}

/*
**	General formatting for banner labels
*/
table.cbj_header td.cbj_label {
	font-family: sans-serif;
	text-align: right;
	width: 33%;
	}

/*
**	General formatting for banner content
*/
table.cbj_header td.cbj_content {
	text-align: left;
	width:67%;
	}

/*
** Metadata divider
*/
hr.metadata_divider {
	width:90%;
	margin-left:5%;
	border-top: solid white 0px;
	border-right: solid white 0px;
    border-bottom: solid black 1px;
    border-left: solid white 0px;
	}

/*
**	To skip a banner item (Series|Published|Rating|Tags),
**	edit the appropriate CSS rule below.
*/
table.cbj_header tr.cbj_series {
	/* Uncomment the next line to remove 'Series' from banner section */
	/* display:none; */
	}

table.cbj_header tr.cbj_pubdata {
	/* Uncomment the next line to remove 'Published (year of publication)' from banner section */
	}

table.cbj_header tr.cbj_rating {
	/* Uncomment the next line to remove 'Rating' from banner section */
	}

table.cbj_header tr.cbj_tags {
	/* Uncomment the next line to remove 'Tags' from banner section */
	}

hr {
	/* This rule controls formatting for any hr elements contained in the jacket */
	border-top: 0px solid white;
	border-right: 0px solid white;
	border-bottom: 2px solid black;
	border-left: 0px solid white;
	margin-left: 10%;
	width: 80%;
	}

.cbj_footer {
	font-size: 0.8em;
	margin-top: 8px;
	}

.cbj_comments {
	}

.read_date {
	}

The CSS rule is just an example. You can use whatever you want, or none.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:09 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
No need for paying. Just go to your calibre installation folder and find these files:
Code:
Calibre2\app\resources\jacket\template.xhtml
Calibre2\app\resources\jacket\stylesheet.css

The CSS rule is just an example. You can use whatever you want, or none.
Remember to put YOUR version into the same relative path in the configuration folder. Then when Calibre updates you will not lose
Calibre has this brilliant method for USER OVERIDES. Put those in the config folder in the similar path location
Old 08-09-2020, 09:26 PM   #8
thiago.eec
Addict

Quote:
Remember to put YOUR version into the same relative path in the configuration folder. Then when Calibre updates you will not lose
Calibre has this brilliant method for USER OVERIDES. Put those in the config folder in the similar path location
Thanks for the tip, @theducks. I didn't know that!
So, if I understood it correctly, it should go like this:

My calibre configuration folder:
Code:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\calibre
My version of the altered files:
Code:
\AppData\Roaming\calibre\app\resources\jacket\template.xhtml
\AppData\Roaming\calibre\app\resources\jacket\stylesheet.css
Is this correct?
Old 08-09-2020, 11:12 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

there is not normally an app folder in the config.
tweaked (original) resources belong in (modified) resources, exactly the same path (relative)
A lot of what now has tools (themes), used to be done by hand way back whe Kovid was still in the USA (still going to school?)
Old 08-09-2020, 11:31 PM   #10
thiago.eec
Addict

Quote:
there is not normally an app folder in the config.
tweaked (original) resources belong in (modified) resources, exactly the same path (relative)
A lot of what now has tools (themes), used to be done by hand way back whe Kovid was still in the USA (still going to school?)
Got it! On installation folder there is an app folder, but not on config dir.