Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau View Post
I bought my first book from Kobo (DRM free), but I'm getting some odd behavior differences between what syncs to the Forma and what I download from Kobo to Calibre:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=339826

Is there some way to copy the synced version on the Forma directly to Calibre?
That must be an error with the formatting of that specific book. Usually epubs downloaded directly from Kobo do have a proper TOC.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I bought my first book from Kobo (DRM free), but I'm getting some odd behavior differences between what syncs to the Forma and what I download from Kobo to Calibre:

Is there some way to copy the synced version on the Forma directly to Calibre?
Try downloading as ePub and see what you get using ADE.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2021, 12:13 PM   #18
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
The epub that syncs from Kobo to the Forma has the TOC. The one I downloaded to the PC and added to Calibre does not. I added it directly from Calibre to the file. I'll go back and try bringing it into ADE and adding it from there to see if anything changes. I'm, too, am thinking it's an issue with this particular book.

EDIT: It's either a problem with the book or with some difference between downloading methods from the Kobo store. I opened the downloaded epub from Kobo directly in ADE and it doesn't have a TOC there. I'll have to wait for my next epub buy from Kobo to see if it's more a Kobo store issue than a particular book issue. I wish I could figure out how to side-load the Kobo-synced version on my Forma over to Calibre.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 06-05-2021 at 12:18 PM.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:29 PM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

EDIT: It's either a problem with the book or with some difference between downloading methods from the Kobo store. I opened the downloaded epub from Kobo directly in ADE and it doesn't have a TOC there. I'll have to wait for my next epub buy from Kobo to see if it's more a Kobo store issue than a particular book issue. I wish I could figure out how to side-load the Kobo-synced version on my Forma over to Calibre.
I have many epubs downloaded from the Kobo store and most of them have a TOC.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:30 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try downloading as ePub and see what you get using ADE.
That's exactly what he did. And the book has no DRM, so why bring ADE into it?
Advert
Old 06-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #21
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Is there some way to copy the synced version on the Forma directly to Calibre? EDIT: when I try to Add the book within Calibre from the Device, all I get is:

"calibre, version 5.20.0
Not Implemented: The following books are virtual and cannot be added to the calibre library:

E:\.kobo\kepub\bf6d5ca1-9ed8-4eb4-80f0-f0377e129e78"
What do you get if you drag the book from the kobo to your desktop? What is its size, etc.?
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:52 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The epub that syncs from Kobo to the Forma has the TOC. The one I downloaded to the PC and added to Calibre does not. I added it directly from Calibre to the file. I'll go back and try bringing it into ADE and adding it from there to see if anything changes. I'm, too, am thinking it's an issue with this particular book.
What book is it?
Old 06-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #23
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
What do you get if you drag the book from the kobo to your desktop? What is its size, etc.?
I found a work around to the TOC issue by manually editing the Kobo/PC/Calibre downloaded version in Calibre and telling it "Generate ToC from Files". So, I'd already removed the Kobo/Forma synced version from the device (i.e. I can't do that drag and drop right now -- I'll try it some time in the future. It sounds promising).
Old 06-05-2021, 03:05 PM   #24
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
What book is it?
https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/bf6...0-f0377e129e78

"City of Bones" by Martha Wells. Initially published in 1995 (hardback). Epub published in 2012.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

"City of Bones" by Martha Wells. Initially published in 1995 (hardback). Epub published in 2012.
The ebook seems to be self-published by the author. That would explain incorrect formatting.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

I was able to download this from Overdrive and it has the NCX ToC snd the HTML ToC.

In the OPF it has <meta content="1.1" name="draft2digitalVersion"/>. Do you have this an if so, what version?

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-05-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:37 PM   #27
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
I was able to download this from Overdrive and it has the NCX ToC snd the HTML ToC.

In the OPF it has <meta content="1.1" name="draft2digitalVersion"/>. Do you have this an if so, what version?
Sorry. But, about the only things I understand in that are the verbs.

EDIT: I've done some blind thrashing with the epub for this. But, I'll post back in:

since it seems a better place to put that information.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 06-06-2021 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:14 AM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Is there some way to copy the synced version on the Forma directly to Calibre? EDIT: when I try to Add the book within Calibre from the Device, all I get is:

"calibre, version 5.20.0
Not Implemented: The following books are virtual and cannot be added to the calibre library:

E:\.kobo\kepub\bf6d5ca1-9ed8-4eb4-80f0-f0377e129e78"
Just to answer this, the very first reply to your original post tells you what can be done:

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you do buy from Kobo and want to add the book to calibre, you have the choice of downloading the book via the Kobo desktop application and using the Obok plugin to add it to calibre. Or you can download the epub from the Kobo store. Books without DRM are downloaded directly and ADE is used for books with DRM.
It isn't a step-by-step instructions as that is not allowed here (for DRM removal). It works the same for DRM free books, so we can't give separate instructions for that.

What no one has said in the later posts is that the problem you are seeing comes from two sources. One is that the edition of the book that Kobo syncs to the device is not always the same as the epub edition. These can be updated independently. And Kobo does some processing of the book to produce the kepub version.

The other cause is the publisher or book creator. They have not built the ToC properly for the epub version. This is not uncommon. But, happily, it is becoming less common.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 05:22 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

In the US, places to buy eBooks for a Kobo Reader in ePub.

Kobo.com
eBooks.com
Google Play Books
AbeBooks.com
Old 06-06-2021, 05:25 AM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
JThe other cause is the publisher or book creator. They have not built the ToC properly for the epub version. This is not uncommon. But, happily, it is becoming less common.
The eBook that @DaveLessnau is talking about, I downloaded from Overdrive and it does have the ToC. Why would the ePub from Kobo not have the ToC? Could it be that Kobo only has an older version?