Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-17-2021, 06:44 PM   #1
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Smile Qualcomm EDL mode for Pokes, Max3

Poke 2 & 3, Max 3 use Qualcomm processors which have (like all Qualcomm) "Emergency Download Mode", EDL.
This is a ROM-based bootloader which does not require anything in flash to run.
If you screw things up really bad your device may go to EDL by itself.
If things are working fine you could go "adb reboot edl" or in a shell "reboot edl".
If things are halfway screwed up you may not be able to reach EDL programatically.
That is why many Qualcomm devices put in special test points on the circuit board to force it into EDL mode.
You short these test points together while you are doing a power button reset.

Ok, most people will never have anything to do with EDL mode.
You also will need special software to talk EDL also: https://github.com/bkerler/edl

But what if you're the type that always gets into trouble and you hate opening the back of your device all the time?
Well, I put a little magnetic reed switch across the test points so that I won't have to open my device (Poke 3) ever.
It's specifically insensitive so that the magnetic book cover can't activate it.
You need to place a big magnet on the back of the cover and press the power button.

As a special offer and if you really think you will use this, PM me and I'll drop a reed switch in the mail for you.
I really can't imagine this applies to too many people; I only have a couple.

The white connector? Oh, that's the console UART.
It runs on 1.8V logic level, 115200-8-n-1
You'll need a level converter probably.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reed.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	187182  
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:54 PM   #2
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Out of curiosity, why do you short test points instead of using EDL cable (deep flash cable)? The advantages is that you don't have to open up device and it's easy to make/cheap to buy. I tested it and it works with Nova 2
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galunid View Post
... why do you short test points instead of using EDL cable ...
A good question.

I tried using D+ shorted to ground with a usb A socket.
It didn't seem to work.
That doesn't rule out that I screwed up and it could work.

OTOH, the Poke3 has multiplexors for switching analog audio onto the D+/D−
Maybe that affects the EDL detection.
Old 06-22-2021, 12:17 PM   #4
Renate
Wizard

If you end up doing this (or something similar) you might be interested in being able to test it from the command line:
Code:
# cd /sys/class/gpio
# echo 57 > export
# cat gpio57/value
# cat gpio57/value
# echo 57 > unexport
A value of 1 is when a magnet is present.
gpio57 is correct for Poke3, no guarantee for anything else.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:06 PM   #5
Renate
Wizard

Just a little update. I have a Windows version of an EDL utility that's small, reliable and doesn't have any dependencies. You may prefer it to other solutions. See the website in my sig.

Tags
max 3, poke 2, poke 3