Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Goofy IOS 4 questionS

I finally got around to loading iOS 4 on my aged iPhone 3G. I have no idea what the improvements are. Would you please gimme a few bullet points?

At this point, my iPad 3G has taken over most of my iPhone's functions, so I'm barely using it.

Separate question:

I bought the phone and have synced it only on one netbook the whole time. I've not synced it on my home laptop, because I worry that I will screw up something, lose some apps or such. Is there a smooth way to sync on both the netbook and laptop interchangeably, even when I take one or the other on the road and am not able to Home Share?
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:01 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I bought the phone and have synced it only on one netbook the whole time. I've not synced it on my home laptop, because I worry that I will screw up something, lose some apps or such. Is there a smooth way to sync on both the netbook and laptop interchangeably, even when I take one or the other on the road and am not able to Home Share?
Select the Manually manage music and video (or similar) option on the iThing summary screen in iTunes. You can then add media to it from any computer with iTunes.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Thanks, Murray. I was wondering whether that would work. Was chicken to risk losing programs.

Is there some way to create a copy of your existing apps setup and revert to it if something goes wrong?

Another goofy question: Do you know why iTunes will rearrange your apps when you sync or backup? It happens apparently randomly to me. Once, all my apps ended up scrambled, but accounted for. Yesterday, it moved about 10 of 'em. Annoying.

Sorry for dumb questions. I've avoided using iTunes for a long time.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
I finally got around to loading iOS 4 on my aged iPhone 3G. I have no idea what the improvements are. Would you please gimme a few bullet points?
Here's a good summary:

http://www.tipb.com/2010/06/14/ios-4-walkthrough/

Just keep in mind that as a 3G owner, you don't get multitasking (or the portrait lock, which is tied to the task switching UI) or home screen backgrounds.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Thanks much, dwharrison. Very cool.
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
The main things you get for your 3G (and the reasons I installed it on mine) are folders and iBooks. There's a few other smaller features but for the most part the bells and whistles are reserved for the 3Gs and higher.

I'd love to know why the screen backgrounds weren't doable on the 3G....
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post

http://mashable.com/2010/06/22/iphone-3g-backgrounds/

Quote:
Steve’s answer was simple: “The icon animation with backgrounds didn’t perform well enough.”
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Maggie, I don't think there is a way to sync everything on multiple computers.
You CAN sync different things on different computers (i.e. Contacts from one, Apps from another, etc.), but not the same stuff. If that makes any sense.
Pretty irritating actually.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Maggie, I don't think there is a way to sync everything on multiple computers.
You CAN sync different things on different computers (i.e. Contacts from one, Apps from another, etc.), but not the same stuff. If that makes any sense.
Pretty irritating actually.
Oy, yes. This is what I've been bumping into, my biggest gripe with iTunes. I'm off to make an iTunes voodoo doll.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
The main things you get for your 3G (and the reasons I installed it on mine) are folders and iBooks. There's a few other smaller features but for the most part the bells and whistles are reserved for the 3Gs and higher.

Thanks, Glenn. Very good to know.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
kjk

Quote:
Oy, yes. This is what I've been bumping into, my biggest gripe with iTunes. I'm off to make an iTunes voodoo doll.
Yes. Ironically, I think the whole one-way nature (iTunes-->iPods) is rooted in the original DRM music agreements...they didn't want people using iPods to move DRM music to other computers.

Of course, now music is DRM free, and now that Apps, music, and movies can all be bought ON portable devices like the iPad and iPhone, Apple had to jury rig a solution to transfer device bought content back to iTunes...while still not just allowing us to use multiple iTunes libraries/computers, which would solve everything. Sigh.

Maybe when they finally move iTunes to the cloud, all this will be moot.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you jailbreak iOS 4.0.1 on a 3G, you will get all the stuff Apple thinks you don't deserve (in order to get you to upgrade the hardware). You'll get multitasking and backgrounds. Plus, you'll get other neat stuff you don't get otherwise.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:29 AM   #13
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:

That is the main selling point that lure me to update my Touch. But since I have 8 gb "3g", which is just 2g hardware and 3.1.3 OS, Apple think I shouldn't get multitasking, background, and screen lock orientation.

I understand that maybe for stuff like multitasking it will be too heavy for my Touch hardware. But does screen orientation lock really that consuming resource? I don't think so. My previous jailbreak has orientation lock and there is no significant effect on battery life. And iBooks kind of useless for me now because I mainly read while laying in bed.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:35 AM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you jailbreak iOS 4.0.1 on a 3G, you will get all the stuff Apple thinks you don't deserve (in order to get you to upgrade the hardware). You'll get multitasking and backgrounds. Plus, you'll get other neat stuff you don't get otherwise.
Thanks, JS. Jailbreaking probably isn't for me. I'm technically inept and am doing OK with what's available. I'm glad you posted, though, in case anyone else might need the info.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:42 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you use a lot of apps, the key benefit of iOS4 is the ability to put apps into folders. Also, you need iOS4 to run iBooks, which really is an extremely nice bookreader. You're not going to want to read "War and Peace" on it, but it's excellent for occasion quick reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote