Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 04:00 AM   #226
Dejital
Dejital began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hey there, I'm having issues with the jailbreak.

I've got a US Kindle 2, version 2.5.3

I've put the update_jailbreak_k2_install.bin file into the root folder of the Kindle, however the "Update Your Kindle" option doesn't light up, it stays gray, and I cannot select it.

I tried restarting and the Kindle ran the update automatically. However, it gave a different error code (I think it was 0003) when it eventually failed.

I tried running the screensaver hack and I got the same issue. After it failed with the same error code on reboot, the screensaver hack was not functioning, so I am lead to believe that the jailbreak didn't work either.

Am I doing anything wrong?
Dejital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #227
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I dont think my jailbreak 'took' first time around either, as the screensaver hack didnt work when I did that hack, so I redownloaded it again from the links provided (in case it didnt download properly), copied it as per the instructions and all was good.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #228
Dejital
Dejital began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Ack I just checked the serial number and it turns out I have an international Kindle 2. I figured that if I live in the US and bought the Kindle through an Amazon affiliate, I would have the US version, but I actually have the Kindle 2i.

Everything is working fine now, thanks for the hack everyone!
Dejital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #229
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep!

Just to be clear: If the 'Update Your Kindle' link is grayed out, it means you've got the wrong update file .

And *don't* try to force running a custom update by rebooting your Kindle, especially the jailbreak, it'll most likely fail, and at worst shit may happen.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #230
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Yep!

Just to be clear: If the 'Update Your Kindle' link is grayed out, it means you've got the wrong update file .

And *don't* try to force running a custom update by rebooting your Kindle, especially the jailbreak, it'll most likely fail, and at worst shit may happen.

You are a funny person NiLuJe, and very clever too! Of all the people who have done these hacks over the years, I find you refreshingly patient and helpful. Cheers.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #231
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anyyyway. Minor bugfix update. (v0.7.N & v3.4.N).

Unless you use a custom prettyversion.txt, or rely heavily on the autoreboot feature, it's not a critical update, see the detailed ChangeLog . We also have confirmation from a kindleboard user that the v3.3.N/v0.6.N *is* completely safe for official updates .

* Fix a bug with the autoreboot feature, which would, occasionally, after an update, go a bit crazy, and do *two* restarts instead of one. That upsets the Kindle for a while, but it ends up doing a full reboot.
* If you had a custom prettversion.txt, that wasn't update-safe. It's now fixed.

If you're updating from v3.3.N/v0.6.N, you just have to update the content of the linkfonts/bin & linkss/bin folders, and then do a full Kindle reboot. No need to run the update*.bin file .

And now I promise I'll stop fiddling with these hacks xD!

My TODO list is finally empty .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-11-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #232
Granvillen
Enthusiast
Granvillen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2i., K3
re: ScreenSaver update Hack

I did the SS Hack .06, even got your screen Saver saying it was installed and I deleted yours, mine are still there. But on the Setting Page it gives me the Kindle version + SS 0.4 - this is okay or did I do something wring. By the way, thanks for all the information and work on the hacks, these are great.
Granvillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #233
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You probably had clarknova's SS hack installed before. Either your forgot to uninstall it, the uninstall wasn't completely successful, or you used one of the earlier slightly buggy uninstallers (they didn't remove the + SS 0.x).

You might want to run clarknova's latest uninstaller to fix that, or you won't be able to install official updates.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #234
Granvillen
Enthusiast

I probably did that, how do I know which is Clarknovas, and once I uninstall his, do I need to do another install of yours..
Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #235
Granvillen
Enthusiast

I figured out which one was Clarknovas and uninstalled it. Looks like yours is installed still
Old 07-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #236
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Argh. That was fast.

You shouldn't have to uninstall/reinstall mine after that, but I'd like to make sure everything went fine anyway... What kind of Kindle do you have?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-11-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #237
Granvillen
Enthusiast

I have a K2i
Old 07-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #238
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay.

Unzip and 'install' the update attached here. It should succeed, and create a 'dummy_testupdate.log' file on the root of your Kindle.

Attach it here, and I'll take a look at it, in order to see if everything's in order .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-19-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: The dummy test update is now attached in the first post.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #239
Granvillen
Enthusiast

dummy_testupdate.zip
Old 07-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #240
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, everything's fine, you're good to go .

You might want to remove the few *.bin files that got trapped in linkfonts & linkss, but that's just in order to save some space.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet