Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
cyndessa
cyndessa began at the beginning.

Device: EBW1150
RES Folder --> other formats

My 1150 is full, and the online bookshelf I have does not have much capacity. Additionally, some of my ebooks (including ones I created myself from notes and other stuff) are only on my 1150. I would really like to get these things off my 1150 in order to make room for new ebooks without losing the ebook in the process- store them on an external hard drive for future use.

I saw the post on extracting markups from your ebook: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24969

This creates a .imp file- but I am not sure if this is the full .imp file for the ebook or just for the markups. Using the tool created an .imp file but I was not able to convert that to anything useful. When I tried to use IMP GUI Converter : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34548 the resulting .lrf file was jibberish when I tried to view it using Calibre.

Is there any way to get the RES folders of my ebooks converted into a useful format? (epub/txt/rb/etc)
cyndessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
Hi Cyndessa,

I'm not sure I understand completely what you are asking. It sounds like you maybe have annotation extraction figured out; you certainly have the right link, so let us know if you have any problems with that process. If you haven't tried extracting annotated ebooks from your EB1150 yet, remember that this process will only work for books that are on a memory card (accessed via a card reader), and not for books that are on the EB1150's internal memory. As for your question--"I am not sure if this is the full .imp file for the ebook or just for the markups"--the reimped .imp file will contain both the entire text of the ebook and your annotations. It's really slick.

But is your primary concern converting books to other formats? If so, your mileage will vary. If you want something that will preserve your annotations, I don't think it exists. I wish it did. If you just want to preserve copies of the unannotated books, you can extract text from imp files. I've never tried the IMP GUI Converter, but I know nrapallo has a tool for extracting text without formatting here. But the loss of formatting is a bummer. Is the IMP GUI Converter able to retain images and formatting? If so, I would save the converted books as html if that is an available option. In fact, html is easily convertable into any conceivable ebook format (EB1150 included), and so it would be a good choice for your library in the long term. The problem is, most commercial ebooks are not available in html format, so if you want a scalable library of modern, copyrighted ebooks, you will probably have to buy a more popular format and then de-DRM and convert for whatever device you happen to be using. This of course brings up legal concerns (we cannot tell how to de-DRM on Mobileread, for example). And none of this helps if what you are after is conversion of annotated .imp files.

Does this answer your questions? Partly at least?
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 02:17 AM   #3
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
I just realized that you may not know how to get .imp files directly onto your EB1150. If your primary concern is saving books on your hard drive so that you can put them back onto your EB1150 at a later date, this is definitely possible. The .imp file format appears useless if you are using the Online Bookshelf to transfer books because the Online Bookshelf won't let you upload an .imp file directly, right?

The good news is that you can load .imp files directly onto your machine either by using impserve, or by dropping an .imp file directly onto the base directory of a Smartmedia memory card. Using a memory card also allows you to retrieve annotated ebooks from the EB1150, so I do like this option quite a lot. Finding a Smartmedia card for sale is the real challenge, but you can usually snag a pretty good deal on a used 32mb, 64mb, or 128mb Smartmedia card on EBay (for around $20-$35).

Let me know if this helps.
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
If you are just wanting to save the files on your device to make more room you can copy the folder intact to your pc and then erase it on your device. You can restore the folder and its contents later to be able to read the book.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote