Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
MobileRead is hosting an eBook Signing Event!

Mobileread is hosting an eBook Signing Event!

Science fiction author M. David Blake is giving away a special edition of his first published short story, each and every copy of which will be numbered and individually hand-signed. You won't get to rub literal elbows at this event (and he'll probably still be in his pajamas drinking coffee as he signs, scans and assembles your *.epub and .mobi ebooks), but you can still ask questions, offer feedback, and chat with a real, live author... and this time, you don't have to stand in line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	announcement-back-larger.jpg
Views:	15962
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	54892

The idea for SIGNATURE EDITION eBooks was developed in the MobileRead forums, when a few members began discussing the concept of “signing” eBooks. Some allowed authors to sign the backs of their electronic devices, while others obtained signatures on the protective covers for those devices... and at least one member confessed asking an author to sign a blank canvas in her eBook reader’s Paint program.

After a few such confessionals, a member chimed in to say, “I think the developers of ebook software for ereaders with a touch screen should put the functionality in their ereaders to add a signature to an ebook.”

His suggestion started the cognitive wheels turning and the eBook Signing Event was born!

Please check out the details here.

Last edited by dreams; 07-09-2010 at 06:57 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
special thanks to dreams for organising the details of this brilliant event.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
nnf
nnf began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 600 :)
This is absolutely brilliant! Fantastic idea Kudos to everyone involved!!!
nnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Kudos to dreams - fantastic work making this event actually happen!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
What a great idea! Who'da thunk it. Thanks, dreams.

And by the way, there wouldn't be a iPad giveaway involved, would there? Okay, never mind.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
I'll also add my thanks to dreams, because she has done an outstanding amount of behind-the-scenes legwork, helping test different configurations, fielding suggestions, and generally going all-out to ensure that we do this the right way.

dreams, I couldn't have done any of this without your enthusiasm, support and dedication to making MobileRead's first eBook Signing Event a success!

Sincerely,

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
What a FUNtastic idea!

Thanks dreams, and Mr Blake!

My email request is sent, and look forward to this undeniably unique collectible!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Yes, thank you dreams, and M David. My email is winging its virtual way to your inbox even now.

Last edited by Poppa1956; 07-09-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: If you build a better mousetrap, will mice develop opposable thumbs to help them escape it?
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:22 AM   #9
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thank you to all, but this has truly been a collaborative effort of many people that began with just a little idea that bloomed into the incredible event by M. David.

I wish you great luck, M. David, and writers cramp from the thousands of personalized signatures you will be doing. (Is that the way to say I hope you get a lot of interest? )

**I eagerly await my numbered and personalized edition also.**
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
What a brilliant idea! Thank you Dreams and M David
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Of course, not only do we get David's autograph, but also Dreams' .....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Will M. David be in any condition to sign all those book after his harrowing escape from the voluptuous vixens, or was it vindictive, vivacious, errr maybe vicious, or was it viscous

Either way thanks to both dreams and M David. What an awesome idea!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
... after his harrowing escape from the voluptuous vixens, or was it vindictive, vivacious, errr maybe vicious, or was it viscous
Dave, you are going to confuse any of our visitors who haven't been following HIGH NOON !

Yes, I am still in shape to sign. Still going strong, in fact, although the actual dedication writing and signing takes the longest portion of time, by far. Many times, if all I know about the recipient is a first name and address, I have a semi-default dedication or two that I revert to (standard writer's trick)... but I still hand-write each and every one.

Now why would I do that, if several strangers in a row get the same words? Because it matters to me that each of them know I have taken the time for them, personally. Because someday, they might meet me, and ask for their scrap of paper. Because, well, because it's fun.

But you know what is more fun? When I receive a note along with the request, that tells me something about that individual... and I can stretch out and write something unique, that is just for that one single reader. That is a connection, and each one who takes the time to interact with me is appreciated... like the person who said eBooks had sparked a renewed love of reading... or the person who said my story was her first Smashwords download... or the woman who became fan number 50 on my Facebook page a few days ago, before anyone but the moderators knew what we were planning. Those are special.

Guess what, Dave? I just saw your request arrive in my inbox, and read what you wrote. I still have several to go before I sign yours... but you get a special dedication.

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
anabelee
Zealot
anabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enoughanabelee will become famous soon enough

Device: Woxter Scriba 150, pocketbook 360
Great and wonderful idea, thanks to Dreams and David!
anabelee is offline   Reply With Quote