Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Question Series sequence?

I am a happy owner of a PRS-300. It's a great device, but I have an issue with it. It is more a nuisance.

I have several books which form a series. In Calibre I have entered the series name and volume number in the metadata. However, on my device I cannot see which book belongs where in the serie. All books in the series are alphabetically ordered instead of volume number.

Is it a setting I am missing? It cannot be so that I have to enter the volume number in the title.... That is just crude.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
If the 300's got the same way of displaying the books as the 505, you're saying that when viewing the titles via the Collections option, they're appearing in alpha-order?

Try viewing the titles in Series order in Calibre, then re-sending them to the device and see if that makes any difference?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Correct, if I look at the Collections options, the titles are alphabetical. What do you mean with you're calibre suggestion? I should open them for reading in series order in Calibre and then resend? That sounds silly....

Perhaps I should also post this in the calibre forum, although I do not think it lies in Calibre. Does not sound logical.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
In calibre, you can sort how books are displayed in the booklist (eg: alphabetically, by author, date, series...). To do this, click the appropriate column heading to sort by that metadata. Click it again to reverse the order.

So, to sort by series, click the series heading so books are in series order, then select the books and send to device.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard

I know that. What I fail to comprehend is how this would effect the book on the reader. I assume that the ordering in Calibre is not reflected in the books/metadata and just an internal ordering. I think it would be strange that if I change an ordering in Calibre that all the books will be changed.
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
davers
Connoisseur
davers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony Dark Blue 505
I've renamed my books with an abbreviation of the series in the title, so for the title "Changing" which is "The Dresdon Files Book 12" I change the name to "DF12 Changing" That way when I sort it's in series order....

Dave
davers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
s3ntient
s3ntient began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
You need to upload them to the reader in the order of the series. The number in the series column is for Calibre only and doesn't get sent to the reader. By sorting by series in Calibre before uploading to the reader, they should get sent in the right order and then be displayed in the series order on the reader.

Last edited by s3ntient; 04-09-2010 at 11:49 AM.
s3ntient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard

Hmm, ok. Seems like a shortcoming then. I wonder if a firmware will come anytime to fix this and also put in the latest version of ADE. Probably not though...
Old 04-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Hmm, ok. Seems like a shortcoming then. I wonder if a firmware will come anytime to fix this and also put in the latest version of ADE. Probably not though...
Wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I know that. What I fail to comprehend is how this would effect the book on the reader. I assume that the ordering in Calibre is not reflected in the books/metadata and just an internal ordering. I think it would be strange that if I change an ordering in Calibre that all the books will be changed.
I do two things to assist me with this.

1. Sort by the series column in Calibre then select the entire series and send them to the reader in one bunch. They will be in series order on your reader.

2. I convert every book on my reader. When I do I add a book jacket (using Calibre's insert metadata as page option) just inside the front cover that has the series and series number. This just gives me confidence that the next book I'm reading this the correct one in the series. See attached image for example.

My first step put them in order the second part just adds to my confidence that I'm reading the right book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	metadata_page_insert_example.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	49557  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote