Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
michaelhughes
michaelhughes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
ePub: alternate renditions

I'm new to ePub and just found this forum, looks like a great source of information!

I am curious to know if any readers or ePub software support the "alternate renditions" described in Sec. 2.3.2 of the OEBPS Container Format 1.0 document? (http://www.idpf.org/ocf/ocf1.0/download/ocf10.htm)

I created an ePub with a reference in container.xml, but none of the software I use to read ePubs (Stanza, Caliber, Sony Reader or Adobe DE) seem to let me do anything with it. I do not have access to a reading device at this time.

Is this something that anyone has experience with or is it simply "untapped" potential for the container format?

Thanks!
michaelhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead,MichaelHughes.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
KNotTed
KNotTed is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600
I suspect your assumption about the alternate renditions being untapped potential to be the case. Storing a pdf in an epub file, at this time, will most likely only make the file bigger, and otherwise be useless from a reader's standpoint.
KNotTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There have been some cases of people storing their source format, particularly if it is an html browser format in the file. Docbook could also be an alternate format which different readers using different formats. But a single reader is unlikely to support alternates.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
michaelhughes

Thanks for the input.

My thought was, "Can I deliver multiple formats of a title in a single file using the OCF?"

I know I could always deliver a tar or zip of an ePub and PDF together, but I thought if a reader device or reader software would support multiple rootfiles in the ePub, it would be less complicated for the user.

Or at least less complicated for me.
Advert
Old 02-16-2010, 03:49 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It would be great if the reader would let the user select which version to show, but note that the spec does not provide any way to identify the different versions, other than by media-type. If you wanted, for instance to provide two alternative PDF versions, one with large font, one with smaller font, there is no way the user can know in advance which is which, even if the reader lets him/her choose between PDF 1 and PDF 2.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
michaelhughes

Yeah, I had this vision of a device or reader software that would detect the additional rootfile entry for the PDF and give someone the option of "extracting" it from the container, either to the device or their hard drive. Then, the owner of the file would have the option to view the ePub or a more formatted version in PDF.

Sounds like a weekend project, doesn't it.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
crych
crych began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I was asking myself this question after reading Colin Hazlehurst's post on the topic at Inside epub. Hazlehurst suggests using an additional rootfile linking to a PDF to provide a version of the pub formatted for printing. I tested a file with two rootfiles, one pointing to a PDF, in desktop versions of number of readers (ADE, B&N, Stanza, etc.) but none revealed the presence of the PDF file.

I've been toying with the notion of including a link or script in one of the content files that would call the PDF but haven't yet figured out if that is possible. Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited by crych; 02-20-2010 at 12:23 AM. Reason: incomplete
crych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:54 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Well, you could include instructions on unzipping the .epub file and copying the PDF, that's about the most portable solution currently available, I guess.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
michaelhughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by crych View Post
I was asking myself this question after reading Colin Hazlehurst's post on the topic at Inside epub. Hazlehurst suggests using an additional rootfile linking to a PDF to provide a version of the pub formatted for printing. I tested a file with two rootfiles, one pointing to a PDF, in desktop versions of number of readers (ADE, B&N, Stanza, etc.) but none revealed the presence of the PDF file.

I've been toying with the notion of including a link or script in one of the content files that would call the PDF but haven't yet figured out if that is possible. Any suggestions welcome.
When I first considered the idea I saw that posting too, but unfortunately that was about as far as anyone seems to have taken the idea so far.

I did create an ePub with the requisite structure that contained a PDF file, but I couldn't get it to come up in Sony Reader, ADE or Stanza, either.

Not being one who is easily discouraged...since the OEBPS CF 1.0 spec said the extra rootfile and separate folder was the "recommended" approach, I decided to adjust the location of the PDF in the ePub (dropping it into the same folder with all my xhtml files) and was able to get ADE and Sony Reader (software) to open the PDF when I linked to it from the TOC.

While this wasn't my original goal, I did get some satisfaction out of it!
Old 02-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #11
crych
crych began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
alternate renditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhughes View Post
Not being one who is easily discouraged...since the OEBPS CF 1.0 spec said the extra rootfile and separate folder was the "recommended" approach, I decided to adjust the location of the PDF in the ePub (dropping it into the same folder with all my xhtml files) and was able to get ADE and Sony Reader (software) to open the PDF when I linked to it from the TOC.
Aha! Thanks. I'm going to try that. With a suitable description in the TOC it just might do the trick. Be nice to have the other method working though.
crych is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub help, ocf 1.0, pdf