Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
seems like a 600 would be a great pressie.
My birthday is September 19th and the 600 is due out August 25th. Coincidence? I think not. And yes, a 600 would do me well (hint hint).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #47
mickitaz
Connoisseur
mickitaz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
te he.. my birthday is 0822.. I can just save my money until then.

Hey, has anyone else noticed this? the 600 is supposed to be a touch screen and you can get the lighted cover.

Um. If the lighted cover is similar to the 505's, then what is the point of the touchscreen?
mickitaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #48
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My birthday is September 19th and the 600 is due out August 25th. Coincidence? I think not. And yes, a 600 would do me well (hint hint).
What ho! August 25th is my birthday! You don't suppose Sony would...

No. No, I suppose not.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #49
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
What ho! August 25th is my birthday! You don't suppose Sony would...

No. No, I suppose not.
hey, i'm still hoping. and my birthday is a month later.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #50
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
No one promised any dictionary support for PRS-300, so the dictionary support for PRS-505, I am afraid, is out of the question. It's OK to dream, but I cannot see any incentive at all for Sony to come up with any firmware improvement for a two-year old device. Unless it's a small little fix that is just absolutely needed.
Except that reasonably small efforts on their part could result in considerable increase in their standing in eBook customers' mind ("If I buy from Sony, my purchase really will keep getting better even past it's official decommissioning date.") and would probably gain them greater customer loyalty. Of course, they can't make it so that people won't upgrade... but I'm sure the happy medium isn't all that hard to find.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #51
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Bastards! They timed the release just to screw you over!

Just for that, you should start reading PDFs... that'll show 'em!!!!

- Ahi
Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #52
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Okay, we know that they had originally planned to announce the 300 and 600 at a press event late in the month, but they pushed that up due to the leaked service manuals and rampant speculation. Basically, they said "Alright, you already know about these, so here they are." I think they'll use the press event to officially launch the 300 and 600, and also to unveil the other reader that they have managed to keep under wraps. Keep in mind that we do know they are working on a larger WiFi enabled device that can be used for newspapers (they've said as much). I think this event is where they'll officially unveil that device, along with any newspaper/content partnerships they've lined up. Just my guess...
And a sweet guess it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
They'll announce immediate availability for a 12", 16bit color e-ink device, with full PDF, as well as 30fps video and Flash support....
Heaven we know was forged from dreams like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
seems like a 600 would be a great pressie.
If we can't get one how about a SHUM remote contol with a huge "mute" button and better still a "SHUM remote detonation" button. I hope it's legal...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #53
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickitaz View Post
If the lighted cover is similar to the 505's, then what is the point of the touchscreen?
Maneuverability, ease of use, no sore thumbs from button pushing...
Having the PRS-700, I don't think I could ever go back to pushing buttons.
I love the swipe!

And per topic... I'm hoping they've got some wonderful surprises for the 600 under the formally known as "Settings" and now called "More Apps..." box.
What's in the box?!! What's in the box?!!

Last edited by rebarnmom; 08-10-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: getting back to topic
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #54
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
Maneuverability, ease of use, no sore thumbs from button pushing...
Having the PRS-700, I don't think I could ever go back to pushing buttons.
I love the swipe!

And per topic... I'm hoping they've got some wonderful surprises for the 600 under the formally known as "Settings" and now called "More Apps..." box.
Does the screen not smudge?

- Ahi
Old 08-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #55
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Put the gun down, rebarnmom.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #56
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
As for what else they'll announce, I'll throw in my idea: Sony eBook Store is going to switch to EPUB and possibly open in other countries (in addition or as replacement to Waterstone's and other such shops).
That will be the day that I start buying books from Sony.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #57
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Does the screen not smudge?

- Ahi
Not enough to bother me. I keep a cloth to clean the screen in my cover, but I really don't use it that much.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 PM   #58
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Put the gun down, rebarnmom.
Who said anything about a gun?

I'm just overly curious, ya know, like at Christmas!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #59
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Who said anything about a gun?

I'm just overly curious, ya know, like at Christmas!
My mistake. I thought you were pretending to be someone else.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #60
tdavie
tdavie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Unless they are offering a 9.7 inch + reader along with newspaper susbscriptions, I'm not interested. The Kindle is a non issue for me since I live in Canada. Otherwise, it's a non concern. Here's hoping.

Tom
tdavie is offline   Reply With Quote