Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #16
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I routinely remove the DRM from my books and back them up. Then one day I started noticing that I couldn't remove the DRM from a few of my books. It turns out that they didn't have any DRM, and simply changing the file type from .AWZ to .PRC was all I needed to do in order to "remove" the DRM. I can't remember the name of any specific titles, but I'm pretty sure when they send you a sample chapter they don't have DRM.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM   #17
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Partial Truth: The Kindle doesn't have a backlight.

Yes, this is true, but it not a bad thing. It is a very good thing.

I've seen this stupid comment in more than one publication. PCs and TVs use screens with backlighting to create their images, and this is hard on the eyes. The Kindle uses electronic ink which is a reflective technology just like an actual printed page. This is one of the Kindle's biggest strengths and not a weakness.

Sony has a cover for their reader that has a built-in light that is pretty cool. The light shines into a piece of clear plastic that goes over the top of the reading surface and lights it up (presumably so that you can read in the dark and without disturbing anyone). I think when some publications say the Kindle doesn't have a "backlight" when they are really talking about a "light" like Sony's.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #18
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There are? How do you find them? Can you provide a URL for one?
All Virginia M. Woolf Foundation Kindle ebooks are DRM-free, see Extra Large Print Kindle ebooks. These are the only ones I am aware of. So far as I know you need to download the ebook to discover its DRM status.

So it seems that Amazon allows DRM-free ebooks (although it isn't exactly clear how to publish one on the Kindle) but many of the Kindle ebooks come from MobiPocket (an Amazon company) and they very definitely will not accept any ebook that is DRM-free. See New Kindle Audio Feature Causes a Stir #7.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
All Virginia M. Woolf Foundation Kindle ebooks are DRM-free, see Extra Large Print Kindle ebooks. These are the only ones I am aware of. So far as I know you need to download the ebook to discover its DRM status.
It seems to be that books without samples are DRM free.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #20
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It seems to be that books without samples are DRM free.
Perhaps so, but some DRM-free ebooks have samples. The extra large print ebooks have samples for example.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #21
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post

So it seems that Amazon allows DRM-free ebooks (although it isn't exactly clear how to publish one on the Kindle) but many of the Kindle ebooks come from MobiPocket (an Amazon company) and they very definitely will not accept any ebook that is DRM-free. See New Kindle Audio Feature Causes a Stir #7.
THANKS for the link to the extra large print books. I am glad to find out about it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #22
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
THANKS for the link to the extra large print books. I am glad to find out about it.
::
I just followed the links to the large print book list. Seriously, this needs to be posted in its own sticky thread. In this whole past year, I had never heard of it until today.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #23
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I don't know about the rest of the Dell magazines, but the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine is DRM-free.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #24
Nickfdr
Enthusiast
Nickfdr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Myth: The Kindle's keyboard is unergonomic

Truth: I find it quite bearable for the few hours that I've used it
Nickfdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #25
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Myth: You can't read library books on your Kindle.

Truth: Yes, you can by installing and using Kindlefix. (See our Wiki)

This does not strip the drm, and the book automatically becomes unreadable after the loan period. No more late fees, no more running to the library.

Only Mobipocket library books are useable
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I've started the wiki page: Kindle Myths and Partial Truths

I'll add to a little at time as I flesh them out. There is a link back to this thread so more folks can join in.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to far and will contribute in the future.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #27
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Truth: Amazon *IS* Evil!

However, the more I read, the more I think I want to be one of the Kindle2-owning Evil Minions.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #28
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
tlrowley said;
Quote:
I don't know about the rest of the Dell magazines, but the Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine is DRM-free.
Asimov, Analog and Alfred Hichcock Mystery Mag from Dell are also DRM free.

And if they ever decide to add DRM to these magazines, I will stop getting them from Amazon.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Partial Truth: The Kindle doesn't have a backlight.

Yes, this is true, but it not a bad thing. It is a very good thing.

I've seen this stupid comment in more than one publication. PCs and TVs use screens with backlighting to create their images, and this is hard on the eyes. The Kindle uses electronic ink which is a reflective technology just like an actual printed page. This is one of the Kindle's biggest strengths and not a weakness.

Sony has a cover for their reader that has a built-in light that is pretty cool. The light shines into a piece of clear plastic that goes over the top of the reading surface and lights it up (presumably so that you can read in the dark and without disturbing anyone). I think when some publications say the Kindle doesn't have a "backlight" when they are really talking about a "light" like Sony's.
It's not a partial truth. It's a full truth.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #30
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not a partial truth. It's a full truth.
OK, I've been here just a few days, I've only read a couple of threads, but I gotta say, you are the worst troll I've ever encountered on any forum anywhere.

Thread crap much?

We get it. You don't like Amazon, you don't like the Kindle, you like Sony.

Now why don't you just go back to the Sony forum and stop thread crapping?
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone, ipod, kindle, kindle myths