Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
OpenDyslexic?

I discovered the OpenDyslexic font on my Kobo Aura. I’ve always been a slow reader but surprisingly, that font makes my reading easier and perhaps a bit faster. I don’t have a smart phone but I’ve always wanted to be able to take my reading with me. I like my Aura so much I decided to save up and buy a Kobo Mini so I can sync my reading.

Here’s the thing: The Kobo Web site lists only 8 fonts for the mini (my Aura has 10) but I couldn’t find which ones. I hope OpenDyslexic is one of them.

I tried watching reviews on YouTube but none of them named the fonts and when they demonstrated changing the reading screen the reviewer’s hands always covered some of the font names. There are prettier fonts and finding a single font, one that none of the other eReaders has anyway, is hardly enough to rule a Mini out.

I’m writing to ask if someone who has a Mini would please tell me whether OpenDyslexic is one of the 8 fonts it comes with. And thanks for your help.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I've just checked my Mini and sad to say that OpenDyslexic is not one of the eight fonts included on the device. Maybe someone who knows about fonts and adding them to the reader could help you get it.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I’m writing to ask if someone who has a Mini would please tell me whether OpenDyslexic is one of the 8 fonts it comes with. And thanks for your help.
yes, Open Dyslexic is definitely there - I've never tried it as it looks fainter at the top of the character than at the bottom, but from your experience it definitely works.
If you are in the UK, you may want to grab the special offer on the Mini (see other thread in this forum) at £29.99!

EDIT - @llcj, you must have it too, just make sure you scroll the font list, OpenDyslexic is the last one and won't show in the first screen.

@6charlong: just saw you are in the US, so forget about the special offer, as WHSmith does not ship outside the UK
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys! Now all I have to do is save up the price. Maybe they will offer the Mini's at a discount here too but in any case, it's just a matter of waiting now.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
For some reason when I opened the font list, eight fonts were listed and the arrow at the bottom that indicates more information didn't show. I played with the settings a bit and it finally appeared. Looks like there are eleven fonts on the Mini. Thanks, Paola for pointing this out to me.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker

Here I am posting to my own post, but the discussion and Mobileread's helpful link at the bottom of the page:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193133

That led me to learn more about this font. Finally, I discovered there is an OpenDyslexic Extension for the Google Chrome bowser. I'm going to give it a try.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by llcj View Post
For some reason when I opened the font list, eight fonts were listed and the arrow at the bottom that indicates more information didn't show. I played with the settings a bit and it finally appeared. Looks like there are eleven fonts on the Mini. Thanks, Paola for pointing this out to me.
glad it helped!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #8
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Unless things have changed this is how you install fonts to Kobo http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...touch-ereader/ Also for more fonts that for the dyslexictic check out these suggestions http://bdatech.org/what-technology/t...-for-dyslexia/
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
6charlong
friendly lurker

Adding fonts to Kobo eReaders is discussed here too:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=197448&page=6

at post #78 and #82. (They're on page 6 on my monitor.) I had tried to install a font before but I missed the warning that when you add a folder called "font" to the root of the Kobo the "f" has to be lower case for it to work.

After re-reading those posts I fixed my Kobo and added Cloister Black (an Old English style font). It's a little bit of a challenge to read with it but it's kind of fun to read A Dance With Dragons that way.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #10
garthoid
Enthusiast
garthoid is on a distinguished road

Device: axim, bebook, BPDN
Does the iPad or Android apps have this font? And if not is there a way to load opendyslexic?
garthoid is offline   Reply With Quote