Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #346
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I have no idea what the future is going to look like, but I suspect that Kobo has a better idea of that future than we might think.
Thanks Taming. I hadn't thought of it that way.

It is nicer to think that Kobo changed things to make them more compliant with a standard rather than because they wanted to.

It makes a lot of sense.

I do still wish they could give us the choice, if they could manage it. Just as I'd like an option to series sort. Choices are good!
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #347
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I actually like the spaces between paragraphs. For me it's more comfortable to read that way, so I always format my ebooks to have them.

Also I can not really understand the obsession with how many lines of text you have on the screen. It's not like the reader gets any heavier with the books having more pages. And turning the page is very fast and easy. (Not saying that people aren't entitled to their opinions or that other people's preferences are stupid or anything - I just don't really get it...).

Having used a Kobo Touch before, I get much more text on my screen than I used to before (75 pages in my comfortable font sizes on the touch vs. 48 on the Aura, different font size - else it would still be 61 to 48). But I really just checked that once.

And I must admit I really didn't care about the amount of pages turns needed to finish a book before and don't know - as long as we are talking about a few lines and pages. But reading some people (not everyone, of course) it sounds as if the amount of page turns had doubled.

Still voting for options, of course. And I think an "Advanced Options" section would be great. I don't think it needs to be some config file. A check box in the settings to show or not to show advanced options would be enough, I think.
I am the same as you in my preferences, but I am in deep deep sympathy for those who like their books formatted in the traditional way.

Kobo seems to be very arbitrary in this. They can obviously display things both ways as they have done in the past, but seem to be opting for the Kobo way or the highway. Then they offer the font options and the line spacing options, which are (esp. line spacing) very backwards in implementation. The minimum default line spacing is 1.3 which is about .1 higher than the most commonly used ones. So unless you really want a lot of extra (and distracting) spaces between the line, what good is it?

I am afraid it will be their downfall if the inability to make simple, no surprises reading software does not do them in first.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #348
gadgetdude
gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gadgetdude can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Glo
Instead of starting a new thread I figured my questions are related enough to this discussion. I am a VERY new Kobo Glo owner and have been following this 2.5.2 discussion pretty closely. Can someone please quickly explain my options if I don't want to go to 2.5.2? When I activated my Glo a few days ago it went through an update process and installed 2.5.1. I couldn't find any option to disable updates, are they automatic or do I have to kick them off? Sounds like you can revert - how is that done?

Thanks in advance - still learning about my new toy...
gadgetdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #349
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Thanks for the link. I can't resist quoting you. This man knows indeed well its job and makes the point loud and clear.
It's a nice comparison, but... yeah, well... he can't count.

Where he says that there is one more row of text there are actually two (not that it matters that much).

Also I wonder why he doesn't show the advanced font options (which are really unique) even though he says that there are more font options on the Aura.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #350
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
No, i think that every vendor will have its own spin on things like whether or not there is a title at the top of the page, and buyers may decide that they like one company's take on it over another, but that the old ePubs will disappear.
Your right that this year the switch to epub3 will be made. But, I don't know if the old epub2s are going to disappear soon. That is to be decided by the publishers.
To my knowledge there is no mass coversion tool available yet, to convert exisiting epub2 to epub3 or to epub3+2 (the latter is complient with old readers, where epub2 is an embedded fallback). I've no doubt such tool will surface.
I don't think that Kobos spin of epub3 will be any different than epub2.
They have developed a house style and that won't change drastically with the introduction of epub3.
What is needed is a universal drm not different vendor specfic proprietary drm so buyers can buy book in any shop.
Adobe (or any other party) could step into this by offering a new drm protection solution/module as an addon to epub3 and leave the development of epub3 to others. Adobe has the infrastructure in place.

Readium and other developers of epub 3 engines should publish a best practices epub 3 guide on how a epub 3 should be constructed to keep it flexibible for user agents (devices) to add features that can be adjusted by user input. True, that isn't any different from epub2 but there are many epubs out there that lack flexibility because every (child) element in a css contains "hard coded" redundant data that only should be set at higher levels.

Last edited by Anak; 05-14-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #351
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Also I wonder why he doesn't show the advanced font options (which are really unique) even though he says that there are more font options on the Aura.
The advanced options are only available for bulit-in fonts. I think the reviewer chose a side loaded font so he could use the same font on both the Kobo and Kindle.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #352
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
The advanced options are only available for bulit-in fonts. I think the reviewer chose a side loaded font so he could use the same font on both the Kobo and Kindle.
Bookeen (Cybook) Odyssey (HD) has something similar to make fonts look lighter or bolder.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #353
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I think that's what he did, too.

But IMHO he should have mentioned the advanced options for the built-in fonts since they are a big plus.

Also it would have been nice if he would have compared the best built-in Kindle font with the best built-in Aura font (since many "standard" users will not sideload fonts).

There are so many different approaches besides of trying to get the same font and size on the each device to show how many lines on text there are on the screens.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #354
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well the way to avoid 2.5.2 is to simply not synch your Glo. I don't think it would automatically update if you don't synch. Mine never did, I always had to synch to get it to update. But some people mentioned something about the update coming automatically, I'm not sure how that goes though.
Maybe if you try to purchase books from the kobo store, it might update but I am not sure about that because I only side-load my books.
In any case if you don't turn the Wi-fi on, you won't have to worry about updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetdude View Post
Instead of starting a new thread I figured my questions are related enough to this discussion. I am a VERY new Kobo Glo owner and have been following this 2.5.2 discussion pretty closely. Can someone please quickly explain my options if I don't want to go to 2.5.2? When I activated my Glo a few days ago it went through an update process and installed 2.5.1. I couldn't find any option to disable updates, are they automatic or do I have to kick them off? Sounds like you can revert - how is that done?

Thanks in advance - still learning about my new toy...
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #355
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Jim Dovey of Kobo talks about ePub 3, Kobo, Adobe in this podcast: http://ebookninjas.com/audio/eBookNi...ey_Readium.mp3

His part begins a bit past minute 38.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #356
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Well the way to avoid 2.5.2 is to simply not synch your Glo. I don't think it would automatically update if you don't synch. Mine never did, I always had to synch to get it to update. But some people mentioned something about the update coming automatically, I'm not sure how that goes though.
Maybe if you try to purchase books from the kobo store, it might update but I am not sure about that because I only side-load my books.
In any case if you don't turn the Wi-fi on, you won't have to worry about updates.
OK, so is there anyway not to get the update on a new Aura?

I have to return my Aura HD for an exchange due to issues with the glo light flickering and I assume that I *will* have to download the 2.5.2 update during the initial setup process with the exchange device.

Is it possible to downgrade to 2.5.1 after that happens?

Last edited by graycyn; 05-14-2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added a couple words to sentence
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #357
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ShellShock says he knows how but I never got an answer when I asked him how he does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
OK, so is there anyway not to get the update on a new Aura?

I have to return my Aura HD for an exchange due to issues with the glo light flickering and I assume that I *will* have to download the 2.5.2 update during the initial setup process with the exchange device.

Is it possible to downgrade to 2.5.1 after that happens?
Quote:
I have gone back from 2.5.2 to 2.5.1 without doing a factory reset (on an Aura).
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #358
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Downgrading the firmware can be done by sideloading the older version in the same way as manually upgrading it. Going from 2.5.2 to 2.5.1 would be safe.

If you want to go back to much older firmware, then do the factory reset and use the PC to do the setup. It will copy firmware files to the device. Remove these and replace them with the version you want.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660 has the links to the firmware as well as the steps for installing them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #359
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
ShellShock says he knows how but I never got an answer when I asked him how he does it.
Download the 2.5.1 firmware from the links in the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware in the Kobo Developer's Forum:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

After the 2.5.2 update has finished, unzip the 2.5.1 firmware update file and copy it's contents into the .kobo directory. Disconnect from your computer and the "upgrade" process will install 2.5.1.

There is also an item about replacing one file in the 2.5.2 firmware to remove the kepub-style header from displaying when reading an epub.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213106

I've tried it and it seems to work but I've gone back to the stock 2.5.2 for now.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #360
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Just be SURE to select the correct file to download for your device.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote