Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 02-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
pvdv
Enthusiast
pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, BeBook Neo
Huizinga, Johan: Herfsttij der Middeleeuwen v1.1, 3 march 2008

"Johan Huizinga
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Johan Huizinga (December 7, 1872 - February 1, 1945), a Dutch historian, was one of the founders of modern cultural history. Born in Groningen, he started out as a student of Comparative linguistics, gaining a good command of Sanskrit. He wrote his doctoral thesis on the role of the jester in Indian drama in 1897. It was not until 1902 that his interest turned towards medieval and Renaissance history. He continued teaching as an Orientalist until he became a Professor of General and Dutch History at Groningen University in 1905. Then, in 1915, he was made Professor of General History at Leiden University, a post he held until 1942. From this point until his death in 1945 he was held in detention by the Nazis. He died in De Steeg in Gelderland, near Arnhem, and lies buried in the graveyard of the Reformed Church at 6 Haarlemmerstraatweg in Oegstgeest.

Huizinga had an aesthetic approach to history, where art and spectacle played an important part. His most famous work is Herfsttij der Middeleeuwen (1919), translated as The Waning of the Middle Ages (1924) and as The Autumn of the Middle Ages (1996). He here reinterprets the later Middle Ages as a period of pessimism and decadence rather than rebirth."
-------------
This is the original Dutch text, based on the 5th edition of the book. I included hundreds of hyperlinks to translations of the numerous French, German and Latin texts which you'll find in the book. I also modernised the language as far as spelling goes... I did not change the writing style of course (!) but i merely made the text match the newer editions.

I realise most of you will not be able to read this specific book because it is written in Dutch. I wanted this book for myself however, and i thought i might as well share it with this community.
I strongly encourage you to find the English translation though, preferably the 1996 version. I know it's on the internet somewhere, at least the 1924 version is...This is a true Classic.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Herfsttij der Middeleeuwen V1.1.prc (1.60 MB, 840 views)

Last edited by pvdv; 03-03-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: changed foreign quotations to italics and fixed a lot of old fashioned spelling that was still present in version 1.0
pvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdv View Post
"Johan HuizingaI strongly encourage you to find the English translation though, preferably the 1996 version. I know it's on the internet somewhere, at least the 1924 version is...This is a true Classic.
I have a PB version of the English translation, and the Internet Archive has PDF and text versions of the English version. The PDF, however, is simply scanned images of the book, and the text file is OCR output from the scans and riddled with errors.

I'm (slowly) working on proofreading the text in the background, but I really hope someone like distributed Proofreaders picks it up. It is indeed a classic.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Thanks, I was actually working on the same book (based on the Gutenberg text), stuck on the footnotes.

This saves me a lot of time. Thanks again.
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (cracked screen)/Bebook/Nokia E60/Nokia 5800/Kobo Aura HD
Great! A book in Dutch. Just because of that, I will give it a try.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
pvdv
Enthusiast
pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pvdv ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Huizinga, Johan: Herfsttij der Middeleeuwen v1.1, 3 march 2008

updates: changed foreign quotations to italics and replaced a lot of leftover oldfashioned spelling to their modern equivalent.
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 02:45 AM   #6
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Keep on the good work. We need more Dutch books
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
JohnnyD
Connoisseur
JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.JohnnyD did not drink the Kool Aid.

I noticed some old fashioned spellings... If you want, I can proofread while reading the book. I must admit that I don't read this book full time, so it can be a while before I'm through the entire book
Old 03-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
pvdv
Enthusiast

Indeed, there probably will be cases of oldfashioned spelling left in this book. It's not always obvious though, what will qualify as oldfashioned, and what should be left alone when it's a matter of "style".

Since you offer to proofread it as you read along, i suspect you'll find more words that could use an "update". I think it's a good idea.
How do you suggest you'll proceed? Post the words that need correction in this thread? Maybe you know of a better way?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 AM   #9
JohnnyD
Connoisseur

Mm, this needs some thinking... My first idea was to send you an e-mail with suggested corrections. Because there are no page numbers, a correction needs to be identified in another way. I guess there are two kinds of corrections:
1) general corrections, e.q. to replace " zoo " with " zo ". You did most of those, I guess
2) specific corrections, meaning sentences in which a word is used in a wrong way. In that case the entire sentence needs to be reported, so the single word can be identiefied.

I'll just bookmark the errors I encounter while reading and I will e-mail them to you