Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
juice99
juice99 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Can you browse web via new Kindle 3g?

I know it is not officially supported, but is it possible to browse sites after you jailbreak your device via 3g? I mean other than wikipedia/amazon site, and i mean new generation 5 kindle

Since Amazon limited usage to 50MB per month, i think it they should allow it, since there is no risk to abuse it anymore...

or maybe this block is placed not on the device itself but somehow at the other side and there is nothing we can do ?
juice99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
petrucci
Groupie
petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petrucci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would like to know as well. Does amazon restrict you to their site and wikipedia?

It was my understanding that the limit only applied to data usage outside of the USA.
petrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is nothing you can do, as far as I know. It wouldn't be fair, anyway, since Amazon doesn't want to pay for your web browsing.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
It's stated on the product page:

Quote:
WebKit-Based Browser
Kindle Paperwhite 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit. It's easy to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle Paperwhite 3G. Kindle Paperwhite 3G enables you to connect to the Kindle Store and access Wikipedia - all over 3G or Wi-Fi. Experimental web browsing on other websites is only available over Wi-Fi.
As far as whether or not jailbreaking can "fix" this, from what I understand, all Kindle traffic is routed through Amazon's servers and will deny 3G access for anything other than Wikipedia or Amazon.

Last edited by AZImmortal; 10-08-2012 at 06:30 PM.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
wikipedia, shelfari as well as amazon.com are supported over 3G.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
juice99

what about wikitravel?
Old 10-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #7
juice99

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice99 View Post
what about wikitravel?
sorry for repeating myself, but i cannot find the answer anywhere, and i use it quite often when abroad
Old 10-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #8
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice99 View Post
sorry for repeating myself, but i cannot find the answer anywhere, and i use it quite often when abroad
Does "anywhere" not include this very thread where I already answered your question earlier? I even bolded the relevant part for you.

Quote:
WebKit-Based Browser
Kindle Paperwhite 3G's experimental web browser is based on WebKit. It's easy to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle Paperwhite 3G. Kindle Paperwhite 3G enables you to connect to the Kindle Store and access Wikipedia - all over 3G or Wi-Fi. Experimental web browsing on other websites is only available over Wi-Fi.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
juice99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
Does "anywhere" not include this very thread where I already answered your question earlier? I even bolded the relevant part for you.
i asked about wikitravel. wikitravel might be considered part of wikipedia project, and someone in the other thread wrote that wikitravel IS available via 3g

but it was just one person, nobody else confirmed or denied this. you also didn't, so i still don't know.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Juice: the answer is no. You can't browse to Wikitravel over 3G.

Also, just so you know, Wikitravel is not and never has been "part of the wikipedia project" - it is now privately owned by Internet Brands, Inc. A fork (copy of existing content) of Wikitravel was created this past August and merged with Wikivoyage, which is now part of the Wikimedia Foundation which is the nonprofit that also runs Wikipedia. So if you're looking for the real open-source, copy-left community created travel wiki, you'll find it at Wikivoyage, not Wikitravel.

And no, you can't get Wikivoyage on the Kindle with 3G either, at least not yet.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote