Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
K3 showing black screen in book

I have no idea what happened, but starting on Friday at 2 different times I turned my K3 on from sleep to find at least half the page being one big black square. The first time it took up the half of the lower part of the screen. The second time I took the picture below. I turned it off, then on again and it was still there. I was able to get rid of it by turning back a page and then going forward again. Is there something wrong with the book, or my kindle? I haven't run the book through Calibre yet and it hasn't happened since yesterday. Just want to know if anyone else has ever had this happen?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	96010  
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Unless it happens in another book, I assume it is a problem with that file.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Wow! That's... interesting. Check other books. Hopefully it's just that one -- and then it's a problem with the file.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've opened and paged through 3 other books and nothing like this happened. Then I started from the beginning of this book and paged through it until I got to the page I was on and again, nothing happened. Hopefully it was just a glitch. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to my Kindle
Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool yikes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I have no idea what happened, but starting on Friday at 2 different times I turned my K3 on from sleep to find at least half the page being one big black square. The first time it took up the half of the lower part of the screen. The second time I took the picture below. I turned it off, then on again and it was still there. I was able to get rid of it by turning back a page and then going forward again. Is there something wrong with the book, or my kindle? I haven't run the book through Calibre yet and it hasn't happened since yesterday. Just want to know if anyone else has ever had this happen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
I've opened and paged through 3 other books and nothing like this happened. Then I started from the beginning of this book and paged through it until I got to the page I was on and again, nothing happened. Hopefully it was just a glitch. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to my Kindle
I'll bet that was scary! Glad it seems ok!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
This occassionally happens to me too if i am doing lots of scrolling on the page, usually because of highlights and notetaking. It is a nuisance, but sofar hasn't developed into a bigger problem.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I've seen that intermittently as well on my Paperwhite. Sometimes, if I do a highlight and then page forward, when I page backward the page is blank.

However, after reading a few pages forward the page in question is fine again.

It happens very rarely. I wouldn't worry about it.

I've not seen it with the latest firmware version 5.3.0 but did see it in the earlier version 5.2.0.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-14-2012 at 03:12 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:23 AM   #8
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
My K3 (26 months old) has started doing that recently too. It only happens when I'm reading a book and pressing the menu button - the menu items display correctly but part of the book page underneath is a nice big black square (roughly the bottom 2 thirds of the screen) - however it doesn't happen every time and a page back/forward fixes it when it does. I guess it's maybe some "page refresh" issue

Last edited by Yolina; 11-14-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Strange - I've never had this happen on any Kindle I've owned. I always set mine to refresh every page, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #10
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
AFAIK you can't change the refresh rate on the K3, so I guess it does it every page anyway.

I am not worried about it just yet, for now putting it down as just one of those things and will see what happens. Haven't seen the issues since doing a reboot, which could simply be a complete coincidence because it happens so irregularly and randomly anyway
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #11
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
That happened to me a couple of months ago on my K3. Mine is now over 2 years old and I looked away for a second and when I picked it back up, I had this same full black page.
I thought for sure it died.

But paging forward in the book made it normal again. I tried turning it off first too and it didn't go away that way. But turning the page did.
Then it happened again a few days later. So far I haven't seen it again. But I also have been using my PW more often.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Pookeysgirl
Wizard

Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. It hasn't happened again so far. I just hope if it does, I can still fix fix it by go forwards and back a page. I think this is the first time I've ever had a problem with it.