Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
PRS-950 areas of faded text in landscape orientation

I recently began experiencing a problem while viewing books in landscape orientation: text appearing at the the very top and at the very bottom of the screen is faded. Along these bands at the top and bottom, instead of seeing solid black text, I see light gray dots. I read often in landscape mode and have never had these bands of faded text appear before--but I can't think of any change I made in my reader settings that would have caused it.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Thanks in advance for any fix that might be offered.

Last edited by sovre; 12-01-2011 at 06:02 PM.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
It sounds like a setting in PRS+ (that's if you have it installed), where overlapping text from one to the next is grayed out. I don't read in landscape mode myself, but would certainly prefer not to have to re-read the same lines to realize I'm repeating what I just read, which is why PRS+ added this feature.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
Yes, I have PRS+. So that must be it. Thanks for letting me know. I didn't even realize that was a feature. I remember seeing the option for turning overlapping text on/off in the settings but it I didn't know what it was for. Now that I know the purpose of it I will have to experiment with it a bit more and decide whether I like it or not.
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I think you'll like the feature turned on once you realize how it works.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Actually, the feature does not seem to work for me, as unread lines appear to be grayed out. A future PRS+ will allow this setting to be changed, thank God:

http://code.google.com/p/prs-plus/wiki/FeatureRequests
Quote:
Accepted
Improve PDF viewing on x50, allow paging in "zoom lock" mode, "where was I" marker, allow to cut "more" of margins, etc.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #6
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
See how it is suposed to work here

Option was introduced with PRS+ 2.0.14, but there was a bug having it mask unwanted areas at the PRS-950, fixed and working since PRS+2.0.15RC for all models.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Thank you for the information! In that case, I wonder what the "where was I" marker in the accepted change which I cited above...
Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Sorry, the "Don't mask overlap" feature isn't directly related to the accepted FR you cited.

It "just" enables (and fixed) a feature already in the original Sony-Code. This type of masking was used as standard with the 505/300/600 models, and was disabled for the x50 series.
Another approach to extend the pdf-capabilities is quisvir's "Pan while zoomlocked", but again this isn't directly related to mentioned FR.
Lets see what time will bring up....

PS: and btw you can set "Don't mask overlap" to "true" and the greyout is gone
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
ring0_event
Zealot

Ah, I took the "where was I" marker to mean that PRS+ would allow the user to configure overlap management (like turn it OFF, as the Kindle has, which I like for text PDFs). Am I wrong?
If there is overlap, then I do want it grayed out, but I would prefer to be able to disable overlap for text PDFs.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
ring0_event
Zealot

OK, my questions roundup:
a) Why is there overlap at all in landscape mode? On my Kindle3 there is no overlap.
b) Is there a way to to turn overlap off?
c) Does anyone know what "where was I" which I cited above from the accepted feature means?
Old 12-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0_event View Post
OK, my questions roundup:
a) Why is there overlap at all in landscape mode? On my Kindle3 there is no overlap.
Guessing:

1) Sony is just dividing the screen in 2 parts for landscape mode
2) If 600*800 would be the 'Golden Ratio' - no problem, no overlapping
3) 600*800 is not the 'Golden Ratio' (which number is 1,618) but 1,333
4) So if you just divide the page in 2 parts and try to visualize it on the same display with 600*800 px, there are ~67 unusable pixels in height
5) This unusable pixels are the 'overlapping' area

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
ring0_event
Zealot

In other words, if it's just an implementation detail without some higher goal in mind, it's a very poor implementation as compared to my Kindle3's landscape mode (which I tried for PDFs only).
Old 12-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #13
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Yes, that's rather poor as you say...

And maybe that's the reason for the bigger fonts in landscape mode for ePub's. The software just splits the screen, turn this now 2 parts 90° - ready.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
ring0_event
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
See how it is suposed to work here

Option was introduced with PRS+ 2.0.14, but there was a bug having it mask unwanted areas at the PRS-950, fixed and working since PRS+2.0.15RC for all models.
Confirmed, it works properly now. I'd rather there be no overlap at all, but the graying out of overlapped parts is better than nothing.