Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Fire has been rooted

Thats the news I wanted to hear. I just ordered 2 of them. Adding the Google Market would be awesome, I cant wait.

http://androidforums.com/kindle-fire...roneclick.html
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
Thats the news I wanted to hear. I just ordered 2 of them. Adding the Google Market would be awesome, I cant wait.

http://androidforums.com/kindle-fire...roneclick.html
Wow, and that was fast!
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Just to access the Android Market. I can see rooting as a great hobby. But I really want to spend time just enjoying the device out of the box as it was designed. The Fire is a beautiful device and I have really enjoyed it so far. Amazon appstore seems to be great and has a lot of apps in there that I think most people would want access too. If they don't, I'm sure they will be in there soon enough. Either way, enjoy it I guess.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

After spending several hours playing with my Fire I really don't see a need to root it. I had a NookColor and it was pretty bad unless rooted, then it was not as bad. But the design of the Fire is so good and since you can easily install non-Amazon apps why would I won't to root it. Rooting gets you an unprofessional set up that will be problematic at best.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Rooting gets you an unprofessional set up that will be problematic at best.
Huh? Rooting simply gives you superuser (root) access, nothing more nothing less. What you do afterwards is up to you.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Rooting an Kindle Fire is like fitting wheels to a tomato; time consuming and completely unnecessary.

If you root the Kindle Fire, you lose access to the best of what it has to offer, namely the cloud services and everything you'd get as a Prime member. If you're going to root anything, root the nook tablet; it's a much better bit of hardware.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I figured it'd be rooted pretty quickly, but I'm still surprised at how quickly it was done.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #8
soricon
soricon began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
T found a very detailed tutorial for rooting, and also specifies how to enable side-loading. Very good especially for the non-technical...

http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/11/how...eloading-apps/
soricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by soricon View Post
T found a very detailed tutorial for rooting, and also specifies how to enable side-loading. Very good especially for the non-technical...

http://reviewhorizon.com/2011/11/how...eloading-apps/
You don't need to root to sideload apps. That's just a setting under Device settings needs to be checked.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:15 AM   #10
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Before you jump into rooting, consider that doing so may prevent you from accessing Amazon streaming video. I have two Kindle Fire devices (one of which I plan to disassemble, drop and scratch test) and the one that I rooted and installed Google Android Market on doesn't play videos anymore.

Buttons are disabled with message (that device is no longer configured correctly to play videos) and I should contact CS. I did the rep doesn't have an idea about what is going on so he passed my ticket to tier-2. I'm still waiting on results.

The other Kindle that I didn't root can still access videos without any problems.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:54 AM   #11
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Ok. So unrooted my KF and video streaming is back. I still have the Google App Store and still can install apps from it. Problem solved.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
If you root the Kindle Fire, you lose access to the best of what it has to offer, namely the cloud services and everything you'd get as a Prime member. If you're going to root anything, root the nook tablet; it's a much better bit of hardware.
Why would that be? My rooted Nook Color has access to Amazon's cloud. I can stream music and Prime Videos.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:10 AM   #13
Blog Kindle
Addict

I guess it is a safeguard to keep DRM from being hacked
Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #14
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Why would that be? My rooted Nook Color has access to Amazon's cloud. I can stream music and Prime Videos.
Right, I guess you can use the web version. But aren't you missing the cloud for everything except music? And aren't you limited to streaming video rather than downloading it? Maybe I don't know what services are available from another tablet - I'm curious ti know though.

One thing is for sure though; its a lot harder to access the cloud and video features on a non-Fire OS.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Right, I guess you can use the web version. But aren't you missing the cloud for everything except music? And aren't you limited to streaming video rather than downloading it? Maybe I don't know what services are available from another tablet - I'm curious ti know though.

One thing is for sure though; its a lot harder to access the cloud and video features on a non-Fire OS.
Actually, it's quite easy. For books, I use the Kindle app. For music, I use the Amazon MP3 app. For Prime Videos, I use my browser.

I have no idea on downloading video, since I don't rent or buy the stuff.

What else is there?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote