Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
cristovao
cristovao began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch
Problems waking Vox from sleep

Has anyone else experienced this? When we leave the Vox on and it puts itself into the sleep mode, sometimes we can't wake it up without holding the power button down forcing a hard boot.
This is the second one we're on as the first one we bought had the same problem but eventually just wouldn't turn on anymore so I had to bring it back and exchange it.

Thoughts?
cristovao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #2
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Known issue. I -think- it has to do with the WiFi drivers having problem waking up after going to sleep (which the WiFi Sleep seeing has it do by default whenever the screen powers down in sleep mode, even if it's charging). Does this only happen to you when it's charging, or whenever? I only saw it when it was plugged in, and either turning off WiFi or going into the Advanced area of the WiFi settings to set it to 'always stay on while plugged in' under Sleep Policy seems to have fixed it.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Yep - happened to me twice today. I think it's when I let it 'sleep' for too long - or when I've gone outside of a WiFi zone and then back into one again (or vice versa).
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I believe this is an Android 2.3 issue. Some Coby tablets like the 7022 which I will have tomorrow have the same problem. Some have installed an app called Advanced Wifi Lock (Free) from the market to solve the issue for them. Change WiFi Sleep Policy to "Never" and it should fix it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
I had this problem with my first Vox. It was ridiculously annoying and ended up needing a hard restart every time the machine went to sleep. I returned it and my new one hasn't had a problem. Interesting to finally hear some solutions to the problem though!
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
emo_mike
emo_mike began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
it just happened to me, after charging my vox overnight. I have to say that it really frightened me at first. Then i remember seeing this thread yesterday. My vox finally restarted, so all is well for the moment. If it continues to happen I'll be taking it back to exchange it.

Blossom, thanks for the tip. My question is if you change the setting to have wifi never go to sleep, will it affect the battery life of the vox?
emo_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can still manually turn the WiFi off--airplane mode.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by emo_mike View Post
it just happened to me, after charging my vox overnight. I have to say that it really frightened me at first. Then i remember seeing this thread yesterday. My vox finally restarted, so all is well for the moment. If it continues to happen I'll be taking it back to exchange it.

Blossom, thanks for the tip. My question is if you change the setting to have wifi never go to sleep, will it affect the battery life of the vox?
It might I can't say for sure. It's a quirk of Android 2.3 it seems but turning WiFi off might work as well. I just know for this problem in the Coby forum this is the solution that has worked for others.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
cristovao

Thanks folks...we'll have to try these suggestions to see if it helps.

This has been happening both while charging and while unplugged.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
We are closely monitoring this issue now. Please let me know any pertinent information in regards to this wake up issue - plugged in, not plugged in, wifi on/off, running apps, battery level. All of this will help us track this down quicker.

Thanks,
James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
cristovao

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
We are closely monitoring this issue now. Please let me know any pertinent information in regards to this wake up issue - plugged in, not plugged in, wifi on/off, running apps, battery level. All of this will help us track this down quicker.

Thanks,
James
Thanks James,

In our case, we have WiFi on at all times and we are within the WiFi range when it happens. Battery levels range from 3/4s to almost dead. Apps running typically consist of the web browser, the Kobo app and that's about it. This also happens both when plugged in and while on battery only.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
Fireci
Fireci began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Possible cause of Vox not waking from sleep

Quote:

Thanks,
James
I'm having the same issue. Trying a few things.

I did a factory reset and I've only done the following post reset:
  • Wifi to Public SSID (n)
  • When picking my timezone, the time is off by 1 hour. I haven't changed it since I think it's a DST issue
  • Linked my Kobo account
  • Linked with Facebook account
  • Setup an email account (GMail)
  • Wifi connects to a Hidden SSID (g)
  • Check my Mail
  • Set Wifi to Sleep when screen turns off
  • Lock-screen is set to use a pattern
  • Battery at 75%
  • Putting it to sleep from the home screen

1. Putting unit to sleep then waking it within 10 seconds, no problem, it comes right back up.
  2. Putting unit to sleep then waking it within 30 seconds, no problem, it comes right back up.
  3. Putting unit to sleep then waking it within 1 minute - PROBLEM - it won't wake up. Need to do a full reboot.

Will try the same as above but setting the Wifi NOT to sleep when the screen turns off.

1. Putting unit to sleep then waking it within 10 seconds, no problem, it comes right back up.
  2. Putting unit to sleep then waking it within 30 seconds, no problem, it comes right back up.
  3. Putting unit to sleep then waking it within 1 minute, no problem, it comes right back up.

Seems to be an issue with the Wifi Sleep when the screen is off.

Good luck fixing it! A hotfix would be great.
Fireci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Thanks, everyone, this kind of detail is great and very helpful as we investigate.

Some more detail that might help - right now we know of an issue when waking a Vox from sleep right around the 1 minute mark. Basically, when wifi is on and the screen is turned off (manually or via timer), we wait 1 minute before powering down wifi radios. This is so that should you try to immediately turn it back on, wifi is still available and the device is instantly ready to go. However, when the wifi starts to power down, there is a period of a 10s or after that minute mark where the screen will take a few seconds to respond to being turned on. It is responding, it just isn't showing anything. So if you try and press the button again during that delay, you effectively turn off the screen again! If you wait after the first press, the screen pops on after a few seconds. This leads to a lot of confusion, obviously, and we're working to fix that.

I just want to make sure that we are able to differentiate between this issue and one where the screen is not just delaying response at this 1 minute mark, but not responding at all.

Thanks again, everyone.
James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
Fireci

Quote:
Thanks, everyone, this kind of detail is great and very helpful as we investigate.

Some more detail that might help - right now we know of an issue when waking a Vox from sleep right around the 1 minute mark. Basically, when wifi is on and the screen is turned off (manually or via timer), we wait 1 minute before powering down wifi radios. This is so that should you try to immediately turn it back on, wifi is still available and the device is instantly ready to go. However, when the wifi starts to power down, there is a period of a 10s or after that minute mark where the screen will take a few seconds to respond to being turned on. It is responding, it just isn't showing anything. So if you try and press the button again during that delay, you effectively turn off the screen again! If you wait after the first press, the screen pops on after a few seconds. This leads to a lot of confusion, obviously, and we're working to fix that.

I just want to make sure that we are able to differentiate between this issue and one where the screen is not just delaying response at this 1 minute mark, but not responding at all.

Thanks again, everyone.
James
Update from my previous post:

A Co-Worker showed me how to turn Wifi-On / Off via the Power Widget. So I tried turning off the wifi then putting the unit to sleep. About 10 minutes later I tried to wake it from sleep and nothing. Now, I hit the power button again right away, so maybe the screen was taking it's time to display and I was just turned it back off. I'll try just clicking the power button next time and waiting to see if it comes back on it's own.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
Fireci

Another follow up:

Ok, same set up as my first post but with the following changes:

Wifi set to turn off when screen is off
I have the Power Widget added on my screen
I have my Brightness set to Auto

I click on the Wifi Power Widget and set it to turn off the Wifi. I wait for the Wifi indicator to show that it's off. Now I turn off the screen.

Sleep for 10 seconds - click power - comes right back up
Sleep for 30 seconds - click power - comes right back up
Sleep for 1 minute - click power - comes right back up
Sleep for 5 minutes - click power - comes back up

Still waiting for it to freeze up again. Do you have a timed sync event on it that might cause a lock if the wifi is off?