Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #76
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
@ Blossom: I didn't know you are using Mantano solely on a phone! My goodness, you do need a tablet.
Yep, I don't read on my phone often but do a bit still...it's okay....tablet is better!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #77
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I want 7 inch BUT on trip or emergency [electric goes out] Like to watch a moveie or 2! I have a Battery Operated TV thats 7 inch but Battery life sucks! 90 mins! Purchased a 2nd Battery 2 hrs! BUT by useing the Tablet I can check news reports off & on & strech the battery life! I Never had this problem Pre Digital grrr could get enouth batteries to run my 4 in TV B&W for WEEKS! Even had a battery powered VHS....awww the Good Ole Days! Gov sure screwed that up!
Otherwise I would like to conect my exturnal HD Full of movies to my TV but needs laptop as a middleman so to speak... So tablet would be middleman LOL During recent move No Internet No Cable for 3 weeks was a life saver that & my Kindle3 & Sansa.
Sitting at home 24/7 is HARD! But I have medical problems that confine me to w/c so work is not option! About 5-6 times a yr we lose electric do to transformers blowout storms or some drunk hitting a pole UGH! longest 7-8 hrs!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #78
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
@ Blossom: I didn't know you are using Mantano solely on a phone! My goodness, you do need a tablet.

Yes I use it nightly on my little phone. I love it! While hubby is sleeping I sit in bed reading till he grumbles. lol Before I got my K4 I have read more on phone then my K3 in the past months. This is why I want a tablet.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #79
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Just wondering... You have two Kindles. Why would you want/need a tablet if you're only going to use it to read books?

Is it the lure of color? I have to admit that I would enjoy seeing ebook covers in full color. They are like art to me. My K3 is great for reading (love e-ink), but it is a little boring without color.
I read in bed and need it because it's backlit. He wont let me use a book light and still grumbles on occasion about my phone but I use a very dark grey background so he can't complain!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #80
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I read in bed and need it because it's backlit. He wont let me use a book light and still grumbles on occasion about my phone but I use a very dark grey background so he can't complain!

What a guy.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #81
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
What a guy.
After 12 years I can overlook his grumpiness about a light shining in his eyes when he suppose to be sleeping. I can send him to store for anything romance books, womanly products. He doesn't complain.

He's a keeper.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #82
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
You could get him an eye mask that he can wear to block out all light.
Enjoy your tablet!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #83
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
The other day I told my husband we need separate bedrooms! He chuckled, I was serious. A girl just needs her own space.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #84
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Blossom asked:
Quote:
So would you say Coby is a good brand for a tablet?
For what you said, reading, I don't see much problem with it IF you're cool with the 800x400 screen resolution. Mine was a MID7024, and I preferred reading on the e-Ink screen of my now wrapped Kobo (to be my gym reader). I didn't realize what a different experience e-reading would be on a 1024x resolution screen. Coby has 7, 8, and 10-inch options, and Aldiko comes on it. As for my internal memory failure, it's apparently an issue with the chipset they had in my particularly run of 7024s and, I think, the first run of 7022s and possibly the 8024s, so there is a possibility you might wind up with an early run chip rather than the new ones they switched to.

I used an android tablet forum to get the Android Market app for sideloading. It did YouTube pretty good, too, as far as I could tell. I didn't have Netflix or Hulu capability and never got around to hacking it to do so, so I can rate it on that. It IS heavy, however, but not more so than a hardback, and as a 7inch, it fits nicely in the hand. I also didn't find the resistive touchscreen all that bad, but I hadn't really experienced capacitative touch much, beyond arguing with my fiance's iPhone before he sold it. Now that I've started using the Galaxy at work, I can see why some people who learn on the C can't go back to the R.

Since this is a Fire vs. A1 thread, I don't want to be totally off topic! But Blossom asked. Coby tablets are pretty hackable and you'll find plenty of ROMs out there to flash it and turn them into whatever you want. I didn't flash/root it, and if you're just reading and maybe doing a little web, you don't need to. If you're shy to go with the cheaper brand, Fire will probably be locked down, but someone out there is going to hack it, so you could get the bargain price, wait a few weeks, and then forgo the warranty. You still won't have expandable memory with an SD, but you could probably still use Amazon Cloud storage?? But if you don't want to forgo the warranty, want stuff to be ready to roll out of the box (Netflix, Market, etc.), then maybe coughing up the extra dollars for A1 is worth it. If Lenovo stops being coy, or whatever is going on.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #85
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Enjoy your tablet!
Yes, these are a real "marriage saver". I have very fair skin and my eyelids don't really keep out light very well, but a sleep mask solves that problem. Also a very useful in midsummer when I don't want to wake up at sunrise! Now if I could just get those noisy parrots to stop screeching at 5am while they eat all the figs off my fig tree...
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #86
wuat
wuat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Lenovo is a really good brand, if you're willing to spend the money for it.

wuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #87
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
My husband doesn't grumble about the book light, but only because he had to put up with years of the bedside lamp shining in his face while I read. The book light is a vast improvement!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #88
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since this is a Fire vs. A1 thread, I don't want to be totally off topic! WRONG!!

This is FIRE vs TABLET thread! & Can be TABLET vs TABLET!
Old 10-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #89
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
The other day I told my husband we need separate bedrooms! He chuckled, I was serious. A girl just needs her own space.
I can't imagine not hearing my husband's loud snores. I couldn't sleep. We don't do the normal routine as most. When everyone is getting up for work we are heading to bed and don't rise till 1pm then he leaves for work a little later.

Quote:
Enjoy your tablet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
Yes, these are a real "marriage saver". I have very fair skin and my eyelids don't really keep out light very well, but a sleep mask solves that problem. Also a very useful in midsummer when I don't want to wake up at sunrise! Now if I could just get those noisy parrots to stop screeching at 5am while they eat all the figs off my fig tree...
Thanks. I don't know if he would wear one. I know I couldn't. The least little pressure to my head sets off headaches. I had to put up heavy curtains to keep the sunlight out as we go to bed around dawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
My husband doesn't grumble about the book light, but only because he had to put up with years of the bedside lamp shining in his face while I read. The book light is a vast improvement!
I've tried several book lights but it depends if he's grumpy or not whether he complains about my phone being on. Once he asleep though I just put a pillow between us.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #90
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuat View Post
Lenovo is a really good brand, if you're willing to spend the money for it.

No PICS!