Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Calebo
Calebo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook vs Kobo ?

Hi, I'm a Canadian Kindle Lover, but, am thinking of deserting the Amazon ship. Now that Amazon has announded library lending ( coming soon) but only in the U.S., I am thinking of switching to something more Canadian friendly.

I love my Kindle for ease of use, wifi/3G, just about everying, but am wondering what is the most comparable?
Calebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
My suggestion is to go to a store and use the display models to get a sense of what is closest to what you like in the Kindle. I'm not aware of anyone else who has a 3g model but all the others certainly have wifi ease of use.

Either the Kobo or Nook will let you access library collections of books in Canada. The Kobo Touch is, in my opinion, a nice little reader worth checking out.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I'm biased, but I would recommend the nook touch. I like having physical buttons for page turns, and the battery life is awesome.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
If you will be sideloading books and want to access endnotes or annotate, go with the NOOK.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Since Nook isn't supported in Canada I suggest you also have a look at the new sony PRS T1 coming out in November. It has wifi and works with library books. They are already taking pre-orders. It's listed as $169 CDN. Don't know why they have to charge us 20$ more.

Last edited by frozennorth; 09-15-2011 at 11:08 PM.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #6
Omega Supreme
Omega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipseOmega Supreme can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iPhone, Nook STR, MyTouch 4G
I debated between the Nook STR and Kobo Touch myself when I was shopping for my ereader. I ended up getting the Nook, and have been quite happy with it. However, the Kobo Touch is pretty nice as well. If the Nook isn't supported in Canada, then I don't think you can go wrong with the Kobo.
Omega Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote