Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Krakindale
Krakindale began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Changing length of time before Kindle goes to sleep

By default, the Kindle 3 is set to go to screensaver mode after 10 minutes. However, this is too short for me - I often get interrupted from my reading for short periods of time, and it is annoying having to wake my Kindle each time it goes to sleep.

So I was wondering: Is there any hack that allows me to change the length of time before the Kindle goes to sleep?
Krakindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Not sure if you can. But, I don't think it's that big of a problem as a single flip of the switch brings it right back to where I was before.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakindale View Post
So I was wondering: Is there any hack that allows me to change the length of time before the Kindle goes to sleep?
See the first sticky thread in the Kindle Developer's Corner, there is a "Change Screensaver Timeout" hack that you can use. Be cautious to use a Unix text editor that end lines properly (with LF only).
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:57 AM   #4
Krakindale
Krakindale began at the beginning.

Thanks guys, I did see that link but I was hoping there was an easier way than having to use USBnet. It looks complicated and I'm afraid I would spoil my Kindle.

I know it is a minor annoyance, but it is irritating all the same, especially since I often read using a bookstand that snaps the Kindle into place and completely obscures the power slider (so it takes a bit more time for me to wake the Kindle up). I guess I'll have to hope for Amazon to come to its senses and patch in such a basic functionality.
Krakindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Holgerman
Holgerman began at the beginning.

Not tested but from a 2nd Party Kindle Users Manual:

- Go to Home Screen.
- Open TextField bei pressing a character
- Enter ;debugOn
- select enter key
- Enter ~disableScreensaver
- select enter key

This disables the Screensaver (also during switch off).

To enable do the same but enter ~resumeScreensaver with enter key.

With ~help you can see more debug commands.

To leave debug mode enter ;debugOff
Holgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holgerman View Post
Not tested but from a 2nd Party Kindle Users Manual:

- Go to Home Screen.
- Open TextField bei pressing a character
- Enter ;debugOn
- select enter key
- Enter ~disableScreensaver
- select enter key

This disables the Screensaver (also during switch off).

To enable do the same but enter ~resumeScreensaver with enter key.

With ~help you can see more debug commands.

To leave debug mode enter ;debugOff
That works, but I like the screensaver to be delayed, not disabled.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote