Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 02:41 AM   #16
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvbhutani View Post
Oh ok... maybe Yifanlu can collaborate with the Duokan team to make a new one

I desperately need to get rid of the ads as i didn't want this one and was accidently given one. I'm halfway across the world now with no way to exchange it. I would willingly pay to upgrade and remove the ads as they are totally useless for me.
I don't know if this is still true, but the last time I looked at the duokan installer, I saw that it bundled a jailbreak so you can install without being jailbroken. This is great and all, but it means every time there's a new jailbreak, they need to update their package. Take all the other hacks for example (screensaver, font, launchpad, etc). They all require jailbreaking before installing, so if you can jailbreak, you can install. It would be really easy for the duokan guys (or anyone) to make a "hack signed" installer package using the jailbreak keys instead of their unsigned packages that requires an exploit to run.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #17
dhruvbhutani
dhruvbhutani began at the beginning.

Device: dhruvbhutani
Thanks for the response Yifanlu.

I just wish you'd release a hack to enable the screensaver switching (it really irks me) but well yes , the ethical issue persists. But to be honest , i already have the ads in the menu so Amazon isn't losing much.
dhruvbhutani is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #18
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Device: kindle
The adds are so putrid I'm thinking of emailing Amazon and asking for an "exchange", i.e. I pay them the $25 and they reconfigure it remotely. I've heard they can do that; but I bought it from Best Buy and I suppose that complicates things.
jimh12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #19
dhruvbhutani

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh12345 View Post
The adds are so putrid I'm thinking of emailing Amazon and asking for an "exchange", i.e. I pay them the $25 and they reconfigure it remotely. I've heard they can do that; but I bought it from Best Buy and I suppose that complicates things.
I know what you mean. I asked a friend to bring it down from the US. Now i wish i hadn't so that this error wouldn't have occurred. I cannot stand those ads at all

Please Yifanlu , try and help us out.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Why are you even looking at the ads? Read for a while and then switch the Kindle off. You'll never see the ads that way (except for maybe the small banner on the home page).

I'm pretty sure that none of the usual jailbreak/hack developers are going to assist you in getting rid of the ads on the Ad supported Kindle. They've said as much already.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #21
jimh12345
Connoisseur
jimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it isjimh12345 knows what time it is

Quote:
I know what you mean. I asked a friend to bring it down from the US. Now i wish i hadn't so that this error wouldn't have occurred. I cannot stand those ads at all

I expect that sometime in the future, Amazon will offer a paid upgrade, but who knows - the K3 itself will go obsolete at some point now that Nook has a touchscreen, so Amazon may abandon the current K3. (I actually prefer the keyboard, but most of the public seems to expect touchscreens.)
Old 06-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #22
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Quote:
Thanks for the response Yifanlu.

I just wish you'd release a hack to enable the screensaver switching (it really irks me) but well yes , the ethical issue persists. But to be honest , i already have the ads in the menu so Amazon isn't losing much.
Believe me, I would love to do that, but for a different reason. I want to ENABLE ads on my Kindle 3G because I'm kinda jealous of some of the offers you guys are getting ($10 for $5 gift card, 50% off case, $1 audible credit, etc). However, I do not know how to do it since I don't have an ad supported Kindle. I've checked all the system files and /var/local settings but I can't find where Amazon stores the value for "ad-supported" or not. I'm GUESSING it has to do with the serial number, maybe if the serial number has some combination in it or something, it will see it as ad supported. I haven't had time to decompile all the java code, so I don't know for sure. Secondly, I'm not responsible for "enable the screensaver switching", NiLuJe is the one who made the screensaver hack and many of the other useful hacks. I'm just the doorman allowing you into the Kindle. I'm not responsible for the screensaver hack, so don't ask me.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #23
jimh12345
Connoisseur

I'm going to contact Amazon directly and tell them I want to upgrade. We know they can reconfigure the system remotely and if enough people ask, they might decide to do it. I don't really see why they wouldn't.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #24
dhruvbhutani

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why are you even looking at the ads? Read for a while and then switch the Kindle off. You'll never see the ads that way (except for maybe the small banner on the home page).

I'm pretty sure that none of the usual jailbreak/hack developers are going to assist you in getting rid of the ads on the Ad supported Kindle. They've said as much already.
Its a feeling mate. It just puts me off , simple as that. They might not but i'm just putting my point across and trying to make a request. Believe me , i'd pay to get rid of these.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #25
dhruvbhutani

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh12345 View Post
I'm going to contact Amazon directly and tell them I want to upgrade. We know they can reconfigure the system remotely and if enough people ask, they might decide to do it. I don't really see why they wouldn't.
Do let me know how that goes. I'd like to go ahead with that as well.

@Yifanlu : Thanks for the response again. These offers are meaningless to me , i can't use them from here and even if i could , i don't even use a credit card.
Also , i'm new to these boards and Kindle hacking in general so was not aware. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #26
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Speaking of ads, can someone with a jailbroken Kindle 3 running 3.2 or 3.2.1 who WANTS ads try my ad-enabler? It doesn't work on my DX running 3.2.1 (only shows the "connect to download special offers" box), but I want to see if it works on newer models (most likely not). You need to do a factory reset to remove the enabler. FYI.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindle-enable-ads.zip (3.4 KB, 267 views)

Last edited by yifanlu; 06-05-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #27
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
yifanlu, I think, Amazon simply store map "SN to ad-enabled devices", when you connect to Amazon's server It's send to Kindle ads whitin TODO list. So Enabling ads on your Kindle will not give to you ads offers, because Amazon knows which SN's validated to use this offers...

P.S. Sorry for my bad english
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #28
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
yifanlu, I think, Amazon simply store map "SN to ad-enabled devices", when you connect to Amazon's server It's send to Kindle ads whitin TODO list. So Enabling ads on your Kindle will not give to you ads offers, because Amazon knows which SN's validated to use this offers...

That's what I thought. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #29
jimh12345
Connoisseur

It's definitely a server-side setting because you can see it in the "Manage Your Kindle" page on the Amazon site - although you can't change the setting.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #30
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post

So couldn't you just change the serial number?

I.E. Someone who hates the ads can swap serial numbers with someone who wants the ads. Maybe even exchange some money in the process..
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote