Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #1
eli2k
eli2k began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-S1, Nexus 7, iPad Mini 2, iPad 1G
Looking for a PDF reader

As noted in title, I'm looking for a PDF reader. Need it to remember the zoom level, and let me change pages by tapping on the edge. Thanks.

- I've tried Adobe reader. It's fast, but when I tap to go to the next page, it does not remember the zoom level from the prior page. As a result, I have to keep rezooming every time.
- I've tried AnDoc, but I can't tap the edges to go back and forth pages.
- Radaee PDF looks like it remembers zoom, but no edge tap to advance pages.
- Foxit reader satisfies the requirements, but it's a tad slow at rendering the page.

Last edited by eli2k; 03-27-2014 at 11:13 PM.
eli2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
One of the paid versions of Mantano will let you set zoom and crop for each individual PDF. I'm not sure which one (I use the free version), but you can download the user manual as a PDF.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
brouer
Enthusiast
brouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipedia

Device: Various Android devices
Moon Reader Pro does this pretty well. Mantano Premium does it slightly better, IMHO. Either would be a good choice.
brouer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I see there's an Android version of SumatraPDF. I don't know what it's like, but I know the Windows version is very good, so it might be worth a look.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
eli2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
One of the paid versions of Mantano will let you set zoom and crop for each individual PDF. I'm not sure which one (I use the free version), but you can download the user manual as a PDF.
PDF works well on free version, but there's a lag between when you reposition the PDF (scroll) until the time it takes to rerender, and during that time, it doesn't look like it will let me tap to change pages.

SmartQ Reader comes closest to speed and function, but there is some sort of glitch where if I drag part of the PDF to view it sometimes it will spazz out and move back to the top-left of the page, and occurs quite often. Don't think it's a touchscreen issue because it doesn't happen in any other app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouer View Post
Moon Reader Pro does this pretty well. Mantano Premium does it slightly better, IMHO. Either would be a good choice.
I'll consider this, given that the free version does not open PDFs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
I see there's an Android version of SumatraPDF. I don't know what it's like, but I know the Windows version is very good, so it might be worth a look.

Mike
Couldn't find it in the Play store.
Advert
Old 03-31-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Re SumatraPDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli2k View Post
Couldn't find it in the Play store.
Sorry about that. I saw it there a while back. (It might be not be available for all countries.)

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:56 AM   #7
brouer
Enthusiast
brouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipediabrouer knows more than wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli2k View Post
PDF works well on free version, but there's a lag between when you reposition the PDF (scroll) until the time it takes to rerender, and during that time, it doesn't look like it will let me tap to change pages.
In the premium version, you use a "crop" function to set the area of interest.
After that, there's no delay moving between pages. You can tap or swipe as you prefer.
If all pages in your PDF should be cropped to the same area, this works perfectly.
Switching to landscape gives you a continuous scrolling view. Also great.

But, if you need to move around or change the crop/zoom for some pages, Moon Reader Pro's way is much better.
In Moon, you can pan and two-finger zoom whenever you like, and tap to flip back and forth between pages.
Tapping between pages keeps the crop area as you'd expect, but it's easy to accidentally move the view a few pixels now and then.
When you change the crop/zoom level, a blue icon shows for a little while. Clicking the icon locks the view, similar to Mantano's way, allowing you to swipe between pages too.

If some pages are outside the normal area of interest, Moon Pro is best.
If you'd occasionally like a near-seamless, continuous scroll in landscape, Mantano Premium is better (and pricier).
Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 AM   #8
brouer
Enthusiast

BTW, if you're not interested in the ePub bits, ezPDF works well too.
At least the Pro version does.

You can double-click to have it auto-zoom to the relevant area, and then tap to move to the same area on the next/previous page.

At a glance it seems to work perfectly too.

It does also have an ePub mode, but that's still pretty bare-bones, with nearly no custmizations available. The renderer is very accurate, though.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #9
eli2k

Thanks for the app tips. The problem is most of my PDFs I need to set a fixed zoom and need to be able to quickly pan around the page, because otherwise the text will be too small. But, I picked up Moon Reader Pro and it does a fine job. Not the fastest possible, but still quick, and locks the PDF zoom, page turn is fast.