Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #31
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
BN works on PRS 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks for that. I did learn (on the B&N forum) that someone was able to load a "Sony" (old drm) DRM epub onto their nook by authorizing the nook in the Adobe DE application/library. The reverse doesn't appear to work though, but I do not have a nook so it might still be possible if the nook were registered with Adobe DE -- I've asked that question there and await the answer.
I just synced my Sony 3.1 on my PC with my PRS 505. That BN sample book displays perfectly on my PRS 505.

Thus, I now know for sure that the BN ePub books will work with the Sony 3.1 software on a PC AND on a registered Sony eReader. Evidently, the books are DRM'ed to the PC - not the company which produces the ePub software or eReader devices.

One caution, when buying eBooks from BN, first download the sample and make absolutely sure it is ePub by looking in the directory where it is stored. Most BN books are still PDB - incompatible with Sony. The Sony Reader site does not allow sample downloads so we really cannot be sure if thsoe books are ePub or BBeB until after the download.

With this new discovery I'm going to simply buy books from the cheapest source, BN or Sony, after selecting the title to be read and using BN samples first.

My other books so far are BBeB from Sony and one Kindle Content book from Amazon. That ePub book from BN displays a lot better with much clearer fonts than the BBeB books from Sony.

To get the BN book to work, one must import them in the Sony 3.1 software to one's Sony library. Then sync works perfectly even though the original file is in the BN directory on the PC.

Keep this research going lads. We are all helping each other find out how to work with this new ePub format.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-14-2009 at 09:27 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #32
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
What utter chaos this is. Multiple forms of DRM for the same format creating confusion over which ebooks can be read on which device. Uncertainty of the format vendors are selling a particular ebook in requiring the consumer to first download it (or a sample of it) and inspect it. The inability to read ebooks in a vendor's format using that same vendor's PC software because they've since switched to a different format. Consumers having to remove DRM (in many places, illegally) and jump through hoops to convert to a format that is decent to read on their devices. Before, there were annoying limitations but it was rather clear what those were. Now there is nothing but confusing chaos. Can this get any worse from here?

Of course, I'm blaming Sony and Adobe for much of this.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #33
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Its really not as bad as you make it, as Sony's DRMed ePub will work on ADE and on any readers that support ADE epub. B&N is the problem as they are adding a new encryption scheme to their epubs. If anything blame B&N.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #34
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Still hoping..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
What utter chaos this is. Multiple forms of DRM for the same format creating confusion over which ebooks can be read on which device. Uncertainty of the format vendors are selling a particular ebook in requiring the consumer to first download it (or a sample of it) and inspect it.
We can still hope that ePub will be adopted by all major eBook vendors including Adobe, Microsoft, Amazon, BN and Sony and that their DRM will just lock in the PC's allowing all of us to just seek the lowest price on a Title once selected.

Locking to the PC's will protect the vendors from theft of license but still allow the users to buy from any vendor to use on one PC and at least one eReader.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #35
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I just synced my Sony 3.1 on my PC with my PRS 505. That BN sample book displays perfectly on my PRS 505.

Thus, I now know for sure that the BN ePub books will work with the Sony 3.1 software on a PC AND on a registered Sony eReader. Evidently, the books are DRM'ed to the PC - not the company which produces the ePub software or eReader devices.

No they won't. The SAMPLE I downloaded worked because it had no DRM. The full book I downloaded DID NOT work because it does have DRM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #36
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
Its really not as bad as you make it, as Sony's DRMed ePub will work on ADE and on any readers that support ADE epub. B&N is the problem as they are adding a new encryption scheme to their epubs. If anything blame B&N.
Right. But odds are that this new type will be rolled out by all at some point....maybe.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #37
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Right. But odds are that this new type will be rolled out by all at some point....maybe.
Maybe, but that will require a firmware upgrade for all the ADE readers out there to use it, which will further fracture secure epub, so won't worry about that until said update.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #38
sirmaru
Wizard

ePub or PDB?

Quote:
No they won't. The SAMPLE I downloaded worked because it had no DRM. The full book I downloaded DID NOT work because it does have DRM.
Look in the directory, \My Documents\My BN eBooks\[your email address] to see if both downloads were ePub or PDB.

I just looked in mine and 6 sample downloads were PDB. Only that ONE was ePub.

If you had an ePub sample and the book, itself, was PDB, then you are right. It will not work. That means we cannot tell from the samples if the book is ePub or PDB.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #39
kennyc

Quote:
Look in the directory, \My Documents\My BN eBooks\[your email address] to see if both downloads were ePub or PDB.

I just looked in mine and 6 sample downloads were PDB. Only that ONE was ePub.

If you had an ePub sample and the book, itself, was PDB, then you are right. It will not work. That means we cannot tell from the samples if the book is ePub or PDB.
That's not the point. epub can be DRM'd or not.

The sample WAS NOT drm encrypted.
The full book I downloaded (per Jon's link) WAS drm encrypted.

It has nothing to do with PDB.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #40
sirmaru
Wizard

ePub versus PDB IS the point.

Quote:
That's not the point. epub can be DRM'd or not.
The sample WAS NOT drm encrypted. The full book I downloaded (per Jon's link) WAS drm encrypted. It has nothing to do with PDB.
PDB books from BN can NOT be read by Sony 3.1 whether DRM protected or not. If you did not check the directory, you don't know the answer.

As of this moment in time of SEVEN samples I downloaded from the BN site only one was ePub.

As it happens, I like that book anyway and will buy the full book from BN once I finish one of the two books in BBeB from the Sony site I am currently reading. If I cannot read it in Sony 3.1, I will read it in BN 2.1. I'll also check then if it is ePub or PDB.

I'll let you know after I make that test.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #41
kennyc

Quote:
PDB books from BN can NOT be read by Sony 3.1 whether DRM protected or not. If you did not check the directory, you don't know the answer.

As it happens, I like that book anyway and will buy the full book from BN once I finish one of the two books in BBeB from the Sony site I am currently reading. If I cannot read it in Sony 3.1, I will read it in BN 2.1. I'll also check then if it is ePub or PDB.

I'll let you know after I make that test.
Again, I don't know what your deal is.

You said:
Quote:
You claimed that you could read a B&N DRM'd EPUB in the Sony Application. You can't. You can read a B&N non-DRM'd Epub (the sample) but not a B&N DRM'd Epub (the full book - pre Jon's Link).

This is not even about PDBs. I'm trying to clarify your erroneous statement about B&N Epub files.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:05 PM   #42
The Alternative
Techno-Junkie
The Alternative doesn't litterThe Alternative doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 (x's 2), PRS-505, PRS-600, iPhone, iPad
Does anyone know offhand if BookDesigner and Calibre can create ePub books? If not, I'd say that's a huge disadvantage.
The Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #43
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alternative View Post
Does anyone know offhand if BookDesigner and Calibre can create ePub books? If not, I'd say that's a huge disadvantage.
Book Designer, No (from BD I create a prc and convert it with Calibre or use the BD HTML in Sigil).

Calibre, yes also Sigil is quite useful in place of Book Designer (if not quite all the way there yet).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #44
crovakiet
crovakiet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS300SC
Ebooks need a standard format. None of this dual, or multi format crap. Betamax vs VHS, HD DVD vs Bluray, it always comes down to a standard and one format has to 'win' otherwise I dont think ebooks will become 'mainstream' (and I am pretty sure all of us want it to go mainstream as it means more advances in the display technology, uniform formatting etc)as it just becomes confusing to the consumers. For sony as well as others to put support behind epub vs basically amazon is a form of leveraging the format(s) such that it becomes just EPUB vs AZW, and I hope epub wins out so that publishers can finally have a clue and be able to concentrate on using the format to its full potential rather than these half-assed jobs taht so many of us are already complaining about.
crovakiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #45
sahmad88
Zealot
sahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enoughsahmad88 will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by crovakiet View Post
Ebooks need a standard format. None of this dual, or multi format crap. Betamax vs VHS, HD DVD vs Bluray, it always comes down to a standard and one format has to 'win' otherwise I dont think ebooks will become 'mainstream' (and I am pretty sure all of us want it to go mainstream as it means more advances in the display technology, uniform formatting etc)as it just becomes confusing to the consumers. For sony as well as others to put support behind epub vs basically amazon is a form of leveraging the format(s) such that it becomes just EPUB vs AZW, and I hope epub wins out so that publishers can finally have a clue and be able to concentrate on using the format to its full potential rather than these half-assed jobs taht so many of us are already complaining about.
Amen
sahmad88 is offline   Reply With Quote