Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #31
echoleaf
Connoisseur
echoleaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litterecholeaf doesn't litter

Device: Bebook, Cybook or eSlick?
I would like a larger screen, but I think that will wait a bit since my wife wants something she can hold & operate with one hand. I'm going to check our library out and see what formats they offer today.
echoleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #32
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoleaf View Post
I *think* the Kindle 2 is the way to go for me. Or rather us since the device would be shared with my wife. I myself would go for a DX for the bigger screen, but she wants the ability to read one-handed in bed.

Just looking at the newish books we want to read, the Kindle wins out. Reading pdfs and stuff would be a bonus but we want a e-reader for new books. Kindle seems to have more books at overall better prices - I just checked earlier for a book that was $25 on Mobipocket and $14 on Amazon.

Now I live outside the US, so no Whispernet for me. The Amazon account is all US based so buying/downloading should not be any problem. Aside from that, what are compelling reasons not to buy a Kindle, or not the buy one right now?

Thanks!
Why not just buy a K2 and get over it. If you can afford to fly to the Rich Coast you can afford to buy a k2. Actually, Why not get two. One K2 and a Sony; Best of two worlds. Does not make sense that you can only afford to buy one yet you are looking at prices of new books on websites????!!!!. I mean if you buy 25 books from websites you will already have bought the equiviliant of a 505, coolreader, or Eslick. Stick to the free stuff if Money is a problem.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #33
echoleaf
Connoisseur

Sorry, Hidari, but I don't take advice from a$$holes.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #34
echoleaf
Connoisseur

My library offers Mobi & PDF, with the latter seeming to require Adobe Digital Editions. I'll have to look into it and see if they really require ADE or not (don't know much about that at all). It seems like most of them are PDF, so I guess a reader supporting ADE wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #35
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Exclamation

Quote:
Sorry, Hidari, but I don't take advice from a$$holes.
<Moderator Hat>

Um, echoleaf ... we don't tolerate name-calling here. Especially when there seems to be not the slightest reason for it.

If you have some problem with hidari, please just Ignore him or at least don't read his posts, okay?

</Moderator Hat>

Carry on.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #36
echoleaf
Connoisseur

Um, ok.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Thank you.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #38
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
echoleaf, I'm not going to try to talk you OUT of a Kindle, necessarily, but I can explain to you why I don't have one. I too look at the selection in the Amazon store and drool - until I realize that for some unknown reason, most of the books I want from Amazon yet can't find anywhere else are in Topaz format. If I can't format shift and archive my purchases, well, I'm not going to purchase. I don't know if this is important to you or not, but it certainly is to me. I do not trust Amazon or anyone else to have my books available ten years down the road in a format I can still read then.
I bought an EZ Reader - the number of formats it supports was just too good to pass up. In practice, the thing is built like a tank (I've dropped it, sat on it, and it's constantly exposed to cat fur and it runs like a top), it's easy to use, and it's customizable with the right firmware. It IS annoying when I can't purchase a book I want, though, and that's one problem you won't have with the Kindle.

Just my .02 though it probably didn't help much with a decision....*grin*.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabates View Post
In my journey of trying to find my eReader (Eventually bought the DX)
Since you want eReader, you bought he wrong device. The DX does not support eReader. Currently, no eink device supports eReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:30 PM   #40
echoleaf
Connoisseur

It is a really good point - even my wife, who is not very geeky, hates the idea of being stuck with an immoveable format. My preference, if I have to buy something that's DRM'd is to be able to strip it and use it how I like. It's like telling me which chair I can read a book in. It took the music industry quite some time to realize that DRM was holding things up - I'm sure the publishing industry will come to its sense eventually.

And having the options of reading multiple formats is a big plus. I've had my eye on the EZ Reader for awhile and the upcoming Pocket Pro for ~$200 sounds just right. Plus it'll support Adobe Digital Editions to so I can get my free book fix from our old library. If it starts shipping in 4 months, then it would coincide nicely with some family flying down to visit, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, since we have 4 cats the ability to be exposed to cat fur & survive is important - thanks for mentioning it ;-)
Old 06-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #41
echoleaf
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since you want eReader, you bought he wrong device. The DX does not support eReader. Currently, no eink device supports eReader.
I think s/he meant an electronic reading device...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I think s/he meant an electronic reading device...
I know what was meant. But using the term incorrectly has (in the past) caused some people to purchase eReader format eBook(s) by mistake. And that's not a good thing to have happen. So it's best to just leave the term eReader to mean the program to display eReader format eBooks and for the eReader format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:51 PM   #43
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabates View Post
In my journey of trying to find my eReader (Eventually bought the DX)

(PSST.........dabates. In order to keep peace, the term is "e-book reader" )

Jon does have a point, its a sensitive subject with him.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #44
echoleaf
Connoisseur

Maybe eReader is banking on the confusion for some extra sales? If someone's unfamilier with e-Readers, they're not going to know the difference between the term with & without the hyphen.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:53 PM   #45
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Maybe eReader is banking on the confusion for some extra sales? If someone's unfamilier with e-Readers, they're not going to know the difference between the term with & without the hyphen.
I don't know if they're banking on the confusion, (possibility?), but there certainly is confusion, unfortunately.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote