Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
bxrLvr
Connoisseur
bxrLvr doesn't litterbxrLvr doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
star trek book recommendations

For the star trekies out there, whats some of your favorite star trek books?
I have only read a few, Dark Mirror, Q-Squared and Pathways, all of which I really enjoyed. I pretty much like all the series minus Enterprise.
bxrLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I've only read one Star Trek book - Q-in-Law by Peter David, which I found to be very entertaining.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I got "distant Shores" free from a friend who works at a publisher a couple of years back. I really liked it. Unfortunately I havent delved too much into trek books myself yes.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Q-Squared was the one I would recommend. Anything by Peter David is great.

Final Frontier was good, although it's contradicted now by the movie. Another good book was The Kobayashi Maru, which details how Kirk, Sulu, Checkov, and Scotty each deal with the test. (Scotty's solution is almost as creative as Kirk's!) (Also note that Kirk's solution is different from that shown in the latest movie.)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:04 AM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Q-Squared was the one I would recommend. Anything by Peter David is great.

Final Frontier was good, although it's contradicted now by the movie. Another good book was The Kobayashi Maru, which details how Kirk, Sulu, Checkov, and Scotty each deal with the test. (Scotty's solution is almost as creative as Kirk's!) (Also note that Kirk's solution is different from that shown in the latest movie.)
the Movie takes place in an alternate reality from the moment the movie starts, it contradicts nothing. when the romulans went back in time they changed history.

its allowed like any alternate reality they went to on strek of the years.

Last edited by Andybaby; 05-30-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
My point was simply that the two can't be reconciled. Novels are never official cannon anyway.

However, even the changing history explanation does not work, as there are differences pre-temporal incursion. Even the movie has this problem within itself, though in a multiverse of Trek physics and Q-like beings you can explain away anything.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
My point was simply that the two can't be reconciled. Novels are never official cannon anyway.

However, even the changing history explanation does not work, as there are differences pre-temporal incursion. Even the movie has this problem within itself, though in a multiverse of Trek physics and Q-like beings you can explain away anything.
well anything pre temporal incursion can be explained away too, ill get to that in a second, but if I'm not mistaken, I don't remember them mentioning a single thing that happened before the movie started, the romulans come, kirks dad dies.

now you can explain away things that happened previously to kirks dad dying the same way you can anything else, using time travel. 1 point that is small, going my voyager, remember that the tech boom of the late 20th century was caused when bill gates stole a star ship from the 29th* century.

so, Kirks dad dies, Kirk isn't captain of Enterprise on time and he meets scotty much earlier then they are supposed to, Scotty who is stuck in transport or a pod or something comes up on TNG a few days earlier, since now all of history (or future) is a bit early. Siskos Wife wasn't Killed at Worf 359 so when he is on his way to DS9, he's not mad at Picard, Picard has some drinks at quarks with Sisko now, and worf gets a bit roudy on blood wine and he rips one of quarks ears off making him deaf in one ear that bashir cant fix, FF 4 yearss later, He doesn't over hear harry kim looking for a gift, so paris doesn't stop harry from buying anything shady from quark, Paris and Kim don't become friends right away, and paris Defects early and runs off with seska, FF a few more years to when voyager gos back to late 20th century earth, Paris doesn't flirt with sarah silverman, so they spend a few more days on earth than they mean to cause they don't get what they need from the telescopes computers cause tuvok gets caught by security. in that time bill gates gets away, but we still destroy the ship. bill comes up with more tech over the years, Hence, this is why the new star trek looks so much better
Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
I really like:
Star Trek: New Frontier
Starfleet Corps of Engineers
The Captain's Table
and anything written by Diane Duane
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
nicolasavru
nicolasavru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Having read literally hundreds of Star Trek books, I'd have to say my favourites are the following:

Post-Nemesis/TNG Relaunch:
Articles of the Federation by Keith R.A. DeCandido
The Next Generation: Q & A by Keith R.A. DeCandido
The Next Generation: Greater than the Sum: Christipher L. Bennett
Star Trek: Destiny trilogy by David Mack

DS9 Relaunch:
A Stitch in Time by Andrew J. Robinson
Avatar: Books 1 and 2 by S.D. Perry
The Lives of Dax
The Left Hand of Destiny: Books 1 and 2 by J.G. Hertzler and Jeffrey Lang
Unity by S.D. Perry

Misc:
Star Trek: Terok Nor trilogy
Star Trek: Vanguard (Series, 5 books so far)
Star Trek: Myriad Universes (Series, 2 books so far, Infinity's Prism and Echoes and Refractions)

Note that the TNG and DS9 relaunches are considered canon by most and (along with other series, such as Star Trek: Titan) continue the story after Nemesis and "What You Leave Behind" DS9 finale.
nicolasavru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I've noticed there's hundreds of Star Trek books! I've never read one, I just know some TV series and movies.

What would be your advice for a complete newbie to these book series? Any reading order? Books to avoid?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
I read my first one before seeing the movie, "Star Trek Movie Tie In" by Alan Dean Foster, liked both of them (ebook and movie !).
Now I'll read "Star Trek : The Motion Picture" by Gene Roddenberry, and then see the DVD I just ordered ! (Had the VHS tape, some years ago, but I didn't keep my videorecorder, so... )
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
nicolasavru
nicolasavru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I've noticed there's hundreds of Star Trek books! I've never read one, I just know some TV series and movies.

What would be your advice for a complete newbie to these book series? Any reading order? Books to avoid?
If you're a fan of a particular series, you might want to start with a couple books specific to that series, just to get the feel of reading Star Trek instead of watching it. Most of the single-novel series specific books are essentially episodes, except in book form.

I wouldn't really worry about reading order, except for the Relaunch books (look them up on Wikipedia or Memory-Beta, the Star Trek non-canon wiki) for the simple fact that they introduce many new characters and events and you'll have no idea what is being talked about. Also, for a series consisted of several books (such as Vanguard which I mentioned in my first post), you should read them in order.

Can't really tell you what specific books to avoid, there are just too many of them. You can just read as many as you can and see what you like/don't like, or read reviews on Amazon or something before you buy them.

One more recommendation: look on places like Craigslist and at garage/yard sales for Star Trek books. You can find large collections of older Star Trek books (mostly from the 90s) for $1-2 each.
nicolasavru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
I read my first one before seeing the movie, "Star Trek Movie Tie In" by Alan Dean Foster, liked both of them (ebook and movie !).
Now I'll read "Star Trek : The Motion Picture" by Gene Roddenberry, and then see the DVD I just ordered ! (Had the VHS tape, some years ago, but I didn't keep my videorecorder, so... )
My first Star Trek book was also "Star Trek Movie Tie In" by Alan Dean Foster when I had intended to also watch the movie but never quite made out to go see it. At this stage, I may wait for the movie to come out on video but I have to say that I did enjoy the book very much.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Fun View Post
My first Star Trek book was also "Star Trek Movie Tie In" by Alan Dean Foster when I had intended to also watch the movie but never quite made out to go see it. At this stage, I may wait for the movie to come out on video but I have to say that I did enjoy the book very much.
I wanted to see it on a BIG screen ! I saw it last friday, after my working day, in a cinema on my way home ! (And I'll see "Wolferine" in the same cinema, for the same reason, tuesday evening ! )

BTW, I saw it in VOST (original version with subtitles) !

Last edited by Idoine; 05-31-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:49 PM   #15
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I've read, or listened to quite a few ST books. The only two that are sticking out in my head right now are Imzadi and Q-Inlaw, and I enjoyed both. Q-Inlaw was quite entertaining with sound effects, towards the end.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote