Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #76
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
Given that consumer expectation, Microsoft cannot release a product with no track record that in the consumer's mind has a boutique pricetag. Dumb.
Well, pricing is part of marketing in my book. They went with iPad pricing for the RT as the benchmark. Which they thought would make it a success since you get an actual PC for the same money. That seemed dumb -- they would have made a big splash with a low price. Of course, their were constrained in that they had to be careful not to upset their hardware partners and customers.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #77
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Well, pricing is part of marketing in my book. They went with iPad pricing for the RT as the benchmark. Which they thought would make it a success since you get an actual PC for the same money. That seemed dumb -- they would have made a big splash with a low price. Of course, their were constrained in that they had to be careful not to upset their hardware partners and customers.
Well, you can't be so staid that your partners and customers think your business has stalled.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #78
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Well, you can't be so staid that your partners and customers think your business has stalled.
Or have them think you are trying to commit suicide. As a photographer, I call that the Kodak model of industry leadership.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #79
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Or have them think you are trying to commit suicide. As a photographer, I call that the Kodak model of industry leadership.
Yeah, and the big guys in the company make more and more money and more and more bonuses as they "lead" the company into the future, and finally depart via golden parachute.

The demise of Kodak was a crime.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #80
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I got a few minutes hands on time with the Acer Chromebook yesterday. At $199.00 it's tempting. Very tempting.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #81
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I got a few minutes hands on time with the Acer Chromebook yesterday. At $199.00 it's tempting. Very tempting.
I have heard this several places. For less than $16 you can drop a 2GB memory chip into the empty 2nd memory slot and double your ram.

Also you can make it a dual boot with ubuntu.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #82
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I have heard this several places. For less than $16 you can drop a 2GB memory chip into the empty 2nd memory slot and double your ram.

Also you can make it a dual boot with ubuntu.
Now a Dual boot with Unbutu would be Very Very cool! Canonical seems to have finally figured out how to monetize Linux, what with the Unbutu Phone OS, the Steam game site offering a Linux site (aimed at Unbutu and derivatives), and the recent agreement with the Chinese to develop a "National OS", presumably to partly address the special lingusitic issues Chinese presents, and, (I suspect the real reason) to make sure there is the kind of seamless integration between Unbutu Linux and Unbutu Phone OS, that Google enjoys with Android and Chrome. I've heard the Chinese Telecoms were very interested in Unbutu Phone OS.

So, one device that could cover both Chrome OS and Unbutu OS (will we even call it Linux in a couple of years?) would be quite a product.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #83
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Now a Dual boot with Unbutu would be Very Very cool! Canonical seems to have finally figured out how to monetize Linux, what with the Unbutu Phone OS, the Steam game site offering a Linux site (aimed at Unbutu and derivatives), and the recent agreement with the Chinese to develop a "National OS", presumably to partly address the special lingusitic issues Chinese presents, and, (I suspect the real reason) to make sure there is the kind of seamless integration between Unbutu Linux and Unbutu Phone OS, that Google enjoys with Android and Chrome. I've heard the Chinese Telecoms were very interested in Unbutu Phone OS.

So, one device that could cover both Chrome OS and Unbutu OS (will we even call it Linux in a couple of years?) would be quite a product.
"Linguistic issues" for Chinese are covered well enough with any OS except WebOS. Now, a special Ubuntu OS just for China is, of course, ideal for the total control that it will allow the Chinese government. Everything users do on their devices will be recorded and analyzed for keywords by computers (just like they do already for SMS, IM, chats, phone calls). And if you write something like "Tibet" your writings will be subjected to personal attention. (will work for Chrome as well, of course. And don't mention encryption and VPN --- they are actively blocking these and sometimes just cut your connection off until you stop using them).

And they want something different for the local market so that they can nurse local phone and telecom equipment makers in general and put pressure on foreign companies to buy their technology (in order to be able to sell in the local market).

It is a dream-come-true for them. They already did this with 3G standards, the special standard (incompatible with international phones) has helped make Huawei what it is today.

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-02-2013 at 07:09 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #84
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
"Linguistic issues" for Chinese are covered well enough with any OS except WebOS. Now, a special Ubuntu OS just for China is, of course, ideal for the total control that it will allow the Chinese government. Everything users do on their devices will be recorded and analyzed for keywords by computers (just like they do already for SMS, IM, chats, phone calls). And if you write something like "Tibet" your writings will be subjected to personal attention. (will work for Chrome as well, of course. And don't mention encryption and VPN --- they are actively blocking these and sometimes just cut your connection off until you stop using them).

And they want something different for the local market so that they can nurse local phone and telecom equipment makers in general and put pressure on foreign companies to buy their technology (in order to be able to sell in the local market).

It is a dream-come-true for them. They already did this with 3G standards, the special standard (incompatible with international phones) has helped make Huawei what it is today.
The US is putting the stops to buying and utilizing Chinese made switching gear. It is a trust issue.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #85
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Actually, The Surface RT has finally arrived to Japan. It does look impressive and the weight is even good. But too little to late, I ordered a Nexus 10 instead. I have basically dropped Windows as my main OS and am slowly moving over to Android. Will only use Android for 90 percent of my work this year. Honestly, The Surface pro looks good but, the weight is too much... 910 grams.... I have an acer with windows 8 11.6 inches 1.2kg, 500gigs of memory, i5 ivorybridge, 3 usb, Full HDMI...etc... even the latest Airmac is lighter than the Pro and has a built in Keyboard....

Quote:
Actually the Surface RT is a great machine and the Surface Pro even more so --- however, MS just doesn't understand consumer marketing. They built the infinitely better mouse trap -- but they have no idea how to get people to buy it.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #86
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Isn't MS dropping the prices on these surface products considerably?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #87
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
I'm considering buying a Chromebook myself but waiting what Google will unveil in their I/o this may
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #88
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I'm considering buying a Chromebook myself but waiting what Google will unveil in their I/o this may
smart cat!

want Series 5 for C7 price
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #89
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've got a Samsung series 3 chromebook. It's a good machine. I use it mainly for word processing, presentations and web surfing. Build quality is excellent and it's so light and thin so easy to carry around with me. Google drive is also really good. I've been abłe to start documents off on the chromebook/laptop at home and finish them off on my ipad/phone/iPod touch whilst on the train. It couldn't replace my windows laptop but its good as a second computer.

Last edited by shanghaichica; 04-07-2013 at 09:37 AM.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #90
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
We just got the $199 version of the C7 this weekend, primarily for my wife to use as lightweight web browser so she could leave her main machine in her craft room.
I was quite surprised to see how limited ChromeOs really is: Can't print to my legacy network printer without CloudPrint, can't access local NAS shares without an HTML interface, not even sure if we can manage files on our Android smartphones via USB.
Still, my wife seems to like it, and we couldn't spend more on a laptop right now.
For myself, the first thing I did was install ChrUbuntu Linux on it. Took less than an hour including all the rebooting and downloading, so now that I know that works, I feel my $199 investment is protected. If we every get fed up with ChromOS, we can use Linux.
The only inconvenience in using both OSes is that the box has to be in developer mode to use Linux. In Dev mode, the boot time is greatly increased from the from the ~20 seconds it is normally, so that's less convenient for my wife.
If you switch it in or out of dev mode, you lose the local settings and data and have to reconfigure everything. Takes only a few minutes but it is an inconvenience.

So for right now, we're leaving it in normal ChromeOS mode, and I have the comfort of knowing Linux is there if a I want it.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote