Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
edhasted
edhasted began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, iPad
Calibre and how to edit word documents...

This questions probably arises from a misconception in my mind of what Calibre actually does, or maybe what I hope it will do.

I have a load of Word DOCs that I have been asked to turn into eBooks. I know Calibre will handle the conversions between book formats but...

As I iterate the the Word formats to make them more seamless to produce an eBook from how to I tell Calibre to generate the new master from the updated DOC file? I seem to be able to change all aspects of the meta data other than the original, master file.

I am clearly doing something wrong.

Many thanks,

EH
edhasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhasted View Post
As I iterate the the Word formats to make them more seamless to produce an eBook from how to I tell Calibre to generate the new master from the updated DOC file? I seem to be able to change all aspects of the meta data other than the original, master file.
Calibre does not support *.doc as an input format. Usually it is advised to save the doc file as html filtered then add the filtered html file to calibre and convert that file.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by edhasted View Post
...I have a load of Word DOCs that I have been asked to turn into eBooks. I know Calibre will handle the conversions between book formats but...
Have you looked at this plug in:
[Input Plugin] DOCX Input
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Alan_C
Alan_C began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Calibre does not support *.doc as an input format. Usually it is advised to save the doc file as html filtered then add the filtered html file to calibre and convert that file.
Is that better than saving as a pdf (which you can do if you open the .doc file in Open Office, for example)?
I'm assuming the conversion is being done on a desktop?
Alan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Have you looked at this plug in:
[Input Plugin] DOCX Input
Keep in mind this input plugin is only for *.docx files not *.doc files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
Is that better than saving as a pdf (which you can do if you open the .doc file in Open Office, for example)?
I'm assuming the conversion is being done on a desktop?
Never use PDF as a step in converting between one format and another format. Read the sticky post at the top of the conversion forum titled "Read this before Posting PDF Questions" for more info.

There is a Open Office (or Libre Office) Writer2epub extension to save directly as an ePub from within the OO. I haven't used it but it may help you out. There is also a MobileRead forum dedicated to this extension.

Additionally one person worked through a batch process to convert doc to epub, read more about it here.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-27-2013 at 04:16 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre word edit