Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Bought Amazon book badly scanned

Bought a book from Amazon that is formatted HTMLZ. The font is thin and one page is unreadable. Obviously they OCR'd. If I didn't want this book for my health that shows exercises I would return it. But I don't want to return it, I want it readable. I have the hardback version and it is unreadably small print.

How do I fix this? My Kindle KFHD and KDX and PW cannot load the fonts.

If this should be posted somewhere else sorry.

Thanks.

Last edited by new; 01-18-2013 at 11:57 AM.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I really don't think that you can have bought an ebook from Amazon in HTMLZ format. I suspect you mean that you bought a Topaz format book (and that some tool has converted it to HTMLZ format).

If you convert the HTMLZ to ePub, and edit the ePub with Sigil, consuting your hardback copy where necessary, you should be able to massage it into a readable format.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I really don't think that you can have bought an ebook from Amazon in HTMLZ format. I suspect you mean that you bought a Topaz format book (and that some tool has converted it to HTMLZ format).

If you convert the HTMLZ to ePub, and edit the ePub with Sigil, consuting your hardback copy where necessary, you should be able to massage it into a readable format.
Thanks I will look into Sigil.

No I downloaded the Amazon book and loaded into Calibre it shows HTMLZ. Which surprised me, never seen it before. As I said it is obviously a scanned book.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
No I downloaded the Amazon book and loaded into Calibre it shows HTMLZ. Which surprised me, never seen it before. As I said it is obviously a scanned book.
It's in Topaz format, as I said. You must be a friend of Alf's if it loaded into calibre as HTMLZ.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Thanks I will look into Sigil.

Before you loaded it into Calibre the extension of file was .TPZ. After you load it in Calibre it becomes HTMLZ. If you had Kindle and checked the file in Kindle (without taking it to Calibre) it would look rather nice. But in HTMLZ it rather looks awful and you loose a lot images I think.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's in Topaz format, as I said. You must be a friend of Alf's if it loaded into calibre as HTMLZ.
It wouldn't have loaded otherwise.

How do you change the font in Sigil? I tried Sigil a long time ago, never really understood.

So I need to convert to Epub first? Do I need a CSS (never have done that either).

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
It wouldn't have loaded otherwise.

How do you change the font in Sigil? I tried Sigil a long time ago, never really understood.

So I need to convert to Epub first? Do I need a CSS (never have done that either).

Thanks.
This probably isn't the right forum for an ePub editing thread. Convert the HTMLZ to ePub in calibre. Then explore Sigil.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
Before you loaded it into Calibre the extension of file was .TPZ. After you load it in Calibre it becomes HTMLZ. If you had Kindle and checked the file in Kindle (without taking it to Calibre) it would look rather nice. But in HTMLZ it rather looks awful and you loose a lot images I think.
Actually I did load the original book into all of my 3 kindles. Before entering into Calibre. I just do that after for safe keeping.

The original hardbook pics are not the best, but still great info for me. Better than physical therapy sheets they give you.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Actually I did load the original book into all of my 3 kindles. Before entering into Calibre. I just do that after for safe keeping.

The original hardbook pics are not the best, but still great info for me. Better than physical therapy sheets they give you.
I am not happy with topaz format because I cannot take it thru Calibre and keep my own copy. And before I understood that I should first download sample from Amazon and be 95% sure it is not a topaz file it happened that I bought few books in topaz and then I just returned them to Amazon since I don't like the format...I kept only one which I really couldn't find anywhere else in epub or whatever...
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Try using it on the Fire. I find topaz books are easier to read on large screen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
I am not happy with topaz format because I cannot take it thru Calibre and keep my own copy. And before I understood that I should first download sample from Amazon and be 95% sure it is not a topaz file it happened that I bought few books in topaz and then I just returned them to Amazon since I don't like the format...I kept only one which I really couldn't find anywhere else in epub or whatever...
A Topaz book is just a bunch of SVG images. If you use the debug mode while adding the book in Calibre you can save the zips of images. You can then use a program like Abbyy Fine Reader to OCR it for you.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Although nothing's been over the line yet, I'd better remind people that detailed help with DRM removal software is not permitted on MobileRead.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
A Topaz book is just a bunch of SVG images.
No it isn't, SVG is nowhere involved: it is a custom file format. Also, if it was a bunch of page images the file size would be enormous. It's a bunch of images corresponding to *individual glyphs* (generally letters in particular fonts), plus larger images for things like in-book images and perhaps the occasional tea-stain on the page. This is all automatically isolated from scans of the book by horribly computationally intensive software up at Amazon (which I still want a copy of even if it would take a year to Topazify a book on my hardware, because the job it does is so seriously nifty). Font resizing and the resulting automatic reflowing are even trickier to get right, but they did it.

(If it was just SVG images, there's no way resizing and reflowing would work.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Actually SVG is involved. Those individual glyphs you mentioned (which are not always individual characters) are drawn using SVG coordinates. A "dictionary" of all the SVG glyphs needed for the book exists within the topaz book. "Pages" are constructed on the fly by a map that consists of pointers to the necessary SVG glyph definitions in the dictionary and which "places" those glyphs in the correct order. Which is how reflow (and hyphenation) is achieved. Resizing is possible because, well... the S in SVG stands for "scalable," quite frankly.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Actually SVG is involved. Those individual glyphs you mentioned (which are not always individual characters) are drawn using SVG coordinates. A "dictionary" of all the SVG glyphs needed for the book exists within the topaz book. "Pages" are constructed on the fly by a map that consists of pointers to the necessary SVG glyph definitions in the dictionary and which "places" those glyphs in the correct order. Which is how reflow (and hyphenation) is achieved. Resizing is possible because, well... the S in SVG stands for "scalable," quite frankly.
Couldn't have explained it any better.