Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #136
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
My guess is that the next version will have the same outer dimensions, they will just slightly reduce the bezel. And that would be a good thing. They should also get a better screen, that green tinge doesn't look nice.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #137
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I heard that the width will actually be slightly narrower. I’m not quite sure how they will accomplish that as the side bezels are a bit too small already. When I’m holding it by the edges my fingers overlap a bit to the front and cause inadvertent touches.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #138
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I heard that the width will actually be slightly narrower. I’m not quite sure how they will accomplish that as the side bezels are a bit too small already. When I’m holding it by the edges my fingers overlap a bit to the front and cause inadvertent touches.
Maybe they will just make the screen longer? There is plenty of bezel at the top and bottom.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #139
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Would the screen enlargement enable them to put another icon in a row or a new row of icons?
I find that doubtful, and that would also mean less of an appeal to those who already have a Note I would assume. I don't see a huge improvement in terms of view-ability for video, eBooks or e-mail with a slightly larger screen. Seems more like chasing numbers then.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #140
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Would the screen enlargement enable them to put another icon in a row or a new row of icons?
I find that doubtful, and that would also mean less of an appeal to those who already have a Note I would assume. I don't see a huge improvement in terms of view-ability for video, eBooks or e-mail with a slightly larger screen. Seems more like chasing numbers then.
With a different launcher you could slightly resize the icons and squeeze an additional row of icons out of it. Anyway, I think optimizing the ratio of screen to bezel is definitely a good thing. Obviously not enough to get people to upgrade from the Note 1, but it might entice prospective new buyers to take the plunge.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #141
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'll pay $250 for a wifi only Note.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #142
dura
Groupie
dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O (2th edition), Kindle PW11
I hope they keep the 16:10 ratio instead of the more common 16:9.
It gives an extra 10% screen wide, which is very welcome when reading.
dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #143
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I upgraded my Note to ICS last night. I don't see much difference in terms of usability, but it does seem a bit more "polished".

The upgrade process was somewhat more arduous than I’ve seen before. They don’t have an OTA upgrade path, and it must be done on a PC or Mac (I saw a post where someone did in on a Linux box using Wine) using Kies (Samsung’s answer to iTunes). Samsung’s servers are a bit busy right now, and it took me more than an hour to download and install Kies, but once that was done it went smoothly.

My Note preserved all my data and apps, and automatically upgraded any apps that have newer versions for ICS, but it didn’t preserve my home screen icons, so I had to go through the hassle of re-doing that. It also didn’t preserve my Bluetooth pairings, I didn’t realize that until I was on my way to work this morning and my hands free didn’t pair.

Since I only upgraded last night, I don’t have a feel for battery life yet, the propaganda says it should improve; we’ll see.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:28 PM   #144
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You did get an upgraded Note taker, called S-Note which is more versatile than S-Memo. It works with objects and integrates them better. You now also have the capability to turn push messages on and off. My update came OTA, with all the military installations you guys have I would assume you have an advanced cellular network.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #145
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
You did get an upgraded Note taker, called S-Note which is more versatile than S-Memo. It works with objects and integrates them better. You now also have the capability to turn push messages on and off. My update came OTA, with all the military installations you guys have I would assume you have an advanced cellular network.
I haven't looked into the "Premium Suite" yet, but I'm sure I either have it already or can install it. My Note is the LTE version on AT&T. AT&T is not doing it OTA (yet), like the international version.

I'll need to look into turning off push messages, I don't have free SMS on my plan, and it p* me off every time I have to pay $0.20 for a spam text.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #146
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

They can charge you for receiving SMS?
Sometimes I just don't understand you Americans.
They would never ever be allowed to charge you here for something you haven't specifically ordered or requested.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #147
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
They would never ever be allowed to charge you here for something you haven't specifically ordered or requested.

When I moved to Canada from Europe I was shocked I was expected to pay extra for incoming calls, caller ID, voicemail, multi-party and what not, all the things that you get included in Europe as a basic package. Thankfully the small carriers in Canada are offering all the goodies in all their packages, so we can stick the finger to the big 3.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #148
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Yes, SMS is an add on service with AT&T, $20 per month gets you unlimited text and free cell to cell with any cell carrier (AT&T to AT&T is free). I might use ten or so texts per month so my typical SMS bill is about $2. Lets see, figger figger $2 - $20... Why I believe $2 is better.

With my last carrier, Sprint, texts and cell to any carrier was included in the plan but AT&T's not willing to let go of that cash cow.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #149
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Ok, so you actually don't pay for a received message, you pay a set fee for the SMS service?
I think every service plan here, including pre-paid, includes at least 3,000 SMS/month, most have 5,000.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:48 PM   #150
wodin
Illiterate

No, I pay $0.20 for every SMS, either sent or received. I could opt to pay $20/mo for unlimited SMS, but in my case that would not make economic sense as paying for individual texts is an order of magnitude less expensive.