Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Most popular genres?

I probably should google and see what I find, but thought I'd throw it out for discussion?

Mystery?
Romance?
SF?
Fantasy?
Mainstream?

(well the initial googling wasn't much help other than it confirmed the first two on my list above. )

Last edited by kennyc; 05-29-2012 at 04:54 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Romance leads the pack. I think you'll find that # of sales per title are higher in the Mystery/Thriller category, but that can't compete with the sheer number of romance books published each year, approximately a gazillion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industry Statistics
2010 Romance Fiction Sales in Comparison

(source: Simba Information)

Romance: $1.358 billion
Religion/inspirational: $759 million
Mystery: $682 million
Science fiction/fantasy: $559 million
Classic literary fiction: $455 million
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow I find it very interesting that religion/inspiration comes in second...I suspect that includes all the "new age" books as well...

Thanks for that link! Karma Karma Koming!
Old 05-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Wow I find it very interesting that religion/inspiration comes in second...I suspect that includes all the "new age" books as well...
Maybe it includes Dan Brown books?

I've seen numbers before indicating that there is a huge market for religious books in the US, seems odd to me as well since I've never read a single one, nor do I know anyone who does. I don't read many romance books, but I do know a lot of people that read those at least.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
kennyc

It must be a conspiracy if it includes Dan Brown!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
One genre that's been around for a while, but is making huge advances right now (via the whole zombie and 2012 craze) is the survival fiction genre (ie, apocalyptic, super bug, EMP/CME, nuclear, biological, etc type end of the world stuff) which I've just started diving into as a writer, and it's actually more fun to read and write about than probably any other genre currently. I don't know where it stands in the big picture, but I've been seeing sales of survival fiction stuff just sailing through the roof of late.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hmm, maybe I need to pen a whodunit romance novel set in the apocalyptic end times, I could clean up!
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I've seen numbers before indicating that there is a huge market for religious books in the US, seems odd to me as well since I've never read a single one, nor do I know anyone who does.

You do now!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Romance: $1.358 billion
Religion/inspirational: $759 million
Mystery: $682 million
Science fiction/fantasy: $559 million
Classic literary fiction: $455 million
Ok, #1 and #2 do not surprise me at all, but #3 and #5 caught me out of the blue. I guess it begs the question of how they are rolling them up, and how much double counting is going on? If the book was a mystery about two elven lovers fighting dragons in outer space while trying to re-find that spark of love between them... I think you get the point.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Ok, #1 and #2 do not surprise me at all, but #3 and #5 caught me out of the blue. I guess it begs the question of how they are rolling them up, and how much double counting is going on? If the book was a mystery about two elven lovers fighting dragons in outer space while trying to re-find that spark of love between them... I think you get the point.
Oh you must mean Hyperion.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Under the genre the publisher categorized/marketed it as; said book will most likely be a SF/Fantasy title, but easily could have been branded as a Romance SF, depending on how it was written.

Lots of fiction (regardless of genre) will have elements of romance, mystery, or even a supernatural element or two... it depends on how it's branded.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #12
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I've seen numbers before indicating that there is a huge market for religious books in the US, seems odd to me as well since I've never read a single one, nor do I know anyone who does. I don't read many romance books, but I do know a lot of people that read those at least.
You never heard of the (in)famous Left Behind series, which spawned several TV movies and even a video game?
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think part of the reason Religion is a genre that is doing well now is that it is the start of a new millennium and as such people are looking for answers to their problems etc. more than in recent decades.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
kennyc

But do you think that includes all the "New Age" type books as well as traditional religious books?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
You never heard of the (in)famous Left Behind series, which spawned several TV movies and even a video game?
And so you think the the "Religion" Genre count is including both fiction and non-fiction?

Do you think the Fantasy count includes non-fiction as well?

I'm thinking there are way too many dimensions in this graph.